“Who Knew Learning about Distilling Would Be So Interesting?”

Ryan & Wood Distilleries
Ranked #11 of 57 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Come visit and tour our craft distillery, the first legal distillery on the North Shore since Prohibition! See firsthand how fine hand crafted spirits are made in our beautiful copper pot Still. Learn how we ferment, distill, barrel age and bottle our Beauport Vodka, Knockabout Gin, Folly Cove Rum and Ryan & Wood family of Whiskies. All done on site. The tour, usually guided by Kathy or Bob Ryan, is free and lasts about an hour. Perfect for a quick stop before lunch. We are a hidden gem, just minutes from other Gloucester attractions. Scheduled Tours: Monday,Wednesday,Friday and Saturday, 10:00am and 1:00pm. Call for Private/Group Tours. Check our website for more information.
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our visit to the Ryan and Wood Distillery was a very interesting experience. The owners/tour guides were so passionate about their choice to enter into a career of providing quality products--rum, vodka, rye whiskey, and gin. On the tour they explained how they became involved in the business, the process of producing each product---and you get a walk through of their immaculate facility with a "still" that is a work-of-art! We were very involved throughout the tour. It was a very enlightening experience!

There are newer reviews for Ryan & Wood Distilleries

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were in the area and looking for something different to do. We were fascinated by the information, sight and smells of the free tour. We bought some unique gifts and really enjoyed our conversation with the owners. We’re planning to visit again next year during some of the June events of the town that we missed this year. We wish them success!

Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

This was perhaps the most informative tour of a brewery, winery or distillery that I ever had. This is a family run operation and definitely local treasure. The owner/operator conducts the tour which is highly unusual and provides unexpected insights. I would suggest that you avoid Tues when the wife plays golf. The husband then fills in and turns a 45 min tour into 2 hours - no exaggeration.

2  Thank LedyardTraveler
BeauportBobRyan, distiller at Ryan & Wood Distilleries, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Message received!! Thank you. I will be more diligent to keep it moving. It will be a challenge, but I now know to respect the time given to us by our visitors for the tour. There is a lot to do and see in Gloucester and I should not keep folks here too long. Proudly, I'm down to abour 50 minutes since reading your post. Thanks again, Cheers, Bob

Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I loved this tour. I applaud the owners with their desire to learn, to succeed and their desire to be entrepreneurs. The tour was very informative and the tour guide was very knowledgeable. The tasting was a great way to finish it off even though it was only 11:15 AM at the time! We especially like the gin & vodka. I never realized how much goes into learning this type trade and the history behind the distillery industry was very interesting. I highly recommend this tour and I hope every one else spreads the word and helps this business to grow. The owners were very cordial and appreciative.

Mike S

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I went there with a group of friends and what a great experience! The owners are absolutely delightful and the tour is extremely informative. You can also bottle one which is a hoot! Something great to add to your bucket list!

1  Thank 147Adventure