“We must have caught them on a bad day.”
Review of Seaport Grille

Seaport Grille
Ranked #3 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We did not have a good lunch here. Based on other reviews, it seems like this place is hit or miss. It does seem to get a lot of locals dining here.

Here are the issues we encountered: the lobster was considerably overcooked in the lobster rolls, and was real chewy. Conversely, the fish from the fish and chips plates (both of them that we ordered) were under-cooked and did not have that flaky texture they should have. After the meal two of the four of us had upset stomachs and had poor evenings as a results. And we were used to eating good seafood after being up the coast of Maine for the week prior.

But that is not the worst part: when the server brought the food to our table, he accidentally dropped part of my meal right on me! I didn't make a big scene or complain since accidents do happen, but the part that bugged me is that they did not offer any type of concessions, like a free drink or a free desert, or anything at all for our troubles. Normally a decent restaurant will try to do something to make up for an issue like that. So I sat there covered in the sauces from my meal, and it did leave a probably permanent stain in the shirt I was wearing (which was my favorite shirt). They did apologize, but mainly they just avoided our table after that and only came by again to give us the bill. Real low class I thought considering the situation. Even worse - they did not even clean up the mess from the food that fell while we were there, so others were walking through it as they walked next to our table.

Additionally, though the view is decent, there was someone repairing a ship in the dock and operating machinery, so it was pretty loud.

Again, I'm sure on a good day the place is decent, but we did not have a good time here. Thanks for reading.

2  Thank FamilyVacationsMN

Reviewed August 31, 2011

What a surprise when we went on a Thursday night & the special was a Lobster Roll for only $9.95. What a surprise when we saw a huge mound of yummy lobster overflowing from a bun. There must have been enough meat fm 2 lobsters & no fillers. We even didn't mind waiting for almost an hour. Even the waiters were pleasant on such a hectic day. The calamari was the best that I have ever eaten. We enjoyed a huge bowl & none
were chewy like most places. Can't wait to go back there next summer.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have eaten here before several times and had both good and average experiences. This past visit was my last. I chose the location for its outdoor dining option on a beautiful day, but that was all that went smoothly. Two of the four people in our party sent all or part of the meal back to the kitchen AT LEAST once. While those problems were more likely the fault of the kitchen than the waitstaff, our waitress was always scarce. When we could find her, she was pleasant as could be. But, twice it seemed necessary to leave our table and look around the restaurant for her. One of those times, she was out in the parking lot helpfully giving a tourist directions. No more chances for this restaurant.

1  Thank BoKatoLeo
Reviewed August 20, 2011

we stumbled on this by chance and we were glad we did. sea views with really good (huge) portioned food.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I frequently go to the Seaport Grille on Thursday nights because they have a $9.99 lobster roll special. Although the lobster rolls are bigger in the winter time then the summer time they are still the best bang for the buck. Another great menu item is the lobster BLT, it's a little pricey ($22.95) but very good. On top of that they have a lot of good meals on the menu but most of the time I get lobster. The drinks are good, usually made strong which i like.

During the summer time the place is packed so service can be slow. However most of the staff are friendly and the bartenders are pleasant as well. I've never make reservations and have found If your going to sit inside the waits aren't that bad but it can take some time if you're trying to sit out on the deck. I wait until after 8PM and don't usually have a problem getting a seat. It's very loud when the restaurant is full but a fun atmosphere.

If you you're looking for some good seafood with a fun atmosphere check out the Seaport the next time you're in town!

1  Thank Nikon2kool