“An Amazing Time”

and up
Whale Watching Tour in Gloucester
Ranked #2 of 29 Tours in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Cape Ann Whale Watch in Gloucester, Massachusetts provides guaranteed whale sightings for every whale watching tour out to Stellwagen Bank, a national marine preserve about 12 miles off the coast of Gloucester deemed one of the "Top 5 Whale Watching Destinations in the World" by the World Wildlife Fund due to the wide variety of whale species whom migrate to the coast of Gloucester, Massachusetts every year to feed on the abundant natural resources. We provide the best whale watching in New England as it's an awe-inspiring experience which every human being should have the opportunity to appreciate. We make it a very special event. For over 35 years, Cape Ann Whale Watch has been dazzling whale watching enthusiasts with sightseeing tours aboard the largest, fastest and most elegant whale watching vessel in Massachusetts, north of Boston, Massachusetts aptly named "The Hurricane II" due to its immense size and speed as it descends upon its destination. Cape Ann Whale Watch's patrons have the opportunity to spend a lot more time with the whales than with other whale watching companies in Gloucester MA since "The Hurricane II" gets to the whales' feeding grounds with much more expediency as well as traveling home faster, therefore more time is actually spent observing whales including but not limited to Humpback Whales, Minke Whales, Northern Right Whales, Pilot Whales, Northern Right Whales, Sperm Whales, Sei Whales, Blue Whales (The Largest Whales in the Seven Seas yet seldom seen around Gloucester MA), Fin Whales, Atlantic White Sided Dolphins, Harbor Porpoises and whole host of other fascinating marine creatures as we deliver the best whale watching excursion in Massachusetts. "The Hurricane II" boasts 115 ft length with over 400 ft of whale watching room from the railings of the upper and lower observation decks for optimum whale watching conditions. There is a heated, furnished indoor cabin with a full service galley serving hot meals, snacks and cold beverages as well as a fully stocked bar with local brews, popular beer, wine and mixed drinks. Cape Ann Whale Watch is truly the finest whale watching tour in the Boston MA area offering the highest level of quality, comfort and service at the cheapest, most affordable price suitable for any family entertainment budget whether on vacation or a day trip. We offer AAA discounts on the adult tickets. We also offer reduced rates for seniors, children and military families. We go where the whales go. Our vessels communicate with each other as to the location of whales so we will go anywhere to see them on the North Shore or South Shore of Massachusetts including off the coast of Boston, Massachusetts: Salem MA, Newburyport, Cape Cod, Hampton NH, Rowley, Rockport MA, Danvers, Peabody, Swampscott, Revere, Winthrop or wherever else the whales may roam.
Tiffin, Ohio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“An Amazing Time”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The whales were everywhere during our cruise. At times there were so many, you could not see them all at one time. The crew were also very friendly and informative. I asked the Cape Ann photographer how she rated our cruise and she said "1 out of 10...it was a 30". Could not have asked for a better cruise. It was truly a peak life expereince.

Visited August 2011

Northampton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Whale(We'll) Recommend Cape Ann!”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

According to Marquez: “Fiction was invented the day Jonas arrived home and told his wife that he was three days late because he had been swallowed by a whale.” I was accompanied on my whale watching trip by my novelist wife and her writer companions, a crew of seafaring adventurers. Fiction runs through their blood and the yarns they spin are breathtaking tales of disease, madness, passion and death. That is why for me it was so inspiring to witness these writers awestruck by the sites of the trip. Captain Nick's agile steady hand and eagle eye guided us to a half-dozen up-close whale encounters, and countless more spottings from afar. The experience was truly of the sublime for us all. If fiction began when Jonas told a far-fetched story to his wife, it was re-invented when whales rendered my fiction-writing wife (and her friends) speechless.

2 Thank Josh B
Northampton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Whale Good Time!”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I've never seen a whale before outside a children's cartoon or a Moby Dick book cover, so I was a bit skeptical about seeing one in real life as we chartered the boat (the one that seats up to six people) for our whale encounter. When we arrived to the pier on a brisk Sunday morning, Captain Nick was already waiting for us. Once we settled in, our adventure started! Captain Nick is incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, and passionate. He wanted to show us all kinds of sea life the moment we were out in the water (from porpoises to sun fish!), but we were most curious about trying to spot at least one whale.

In the past, I've heard stories of people not seeing a whale on their first outing, but Captain Nick assured us that this was a very popular whale sighting destination. He even let us use his binoculars so we could look for bubbles whales release from their blowholes. Almost immediately, we starting seeing them, like geysers sprouting high in the air. We started following the blow bubbles and soon saw two minke whales breach the surface of the water, before diving back in search of food! Soon after, we started seeing blow bubbles on all our sides, and Captain Nick was very responsive in turning the boat towards where we wanted to go. We ended up seeing at least 4 humpbacks in addition to the minke whale, and before heading back to shore, we caught a glimpse of...a fin whale! we were completely ecstatic. I'd do a chartered boat again in a heartbeat. Even though it's a bit more expensive, I think the quality of what you see and the freedom to move where you think you'll see the whales is unparalleled. Besides, if you DO want to try out the massive big boats, you get a free ticket included with your chartered boat tour. We definitely want to go back! Everything about the day was wonderful!

+s: you can also bring your own food (as much as you want) on board, and eat it too!

1 Thank Violet M
Lakeville, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Great whale watch, friendly crew, clean boat, and lots of whales!

Amherst, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Adventure and Whales Galore on the High Seas With Captain Nick”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

As an avid (somewhat psychotically enthusiastic) whalewatcher, I prefer small and uncrowded boats to see whales. To this end, Cape Ann Whale Watch offers a private charter tour, which seats six people and is perfect for a get together of friends or family. My mother, my boyfriend, and three friends of mine went out on the the fine, sea-faring vessel "The Rough Neck" last weekend, on what started out looking like an unpromising day. Only one or two whales had been sighted in the area, which Captain Nick warned us about at the beginning. However shining sun, blue skies, an enthusiastic crew, and pre-migratory peckishness brought them out in hordes.

Less than a mile off the dock we came across a friendly Minke, and not long after that, we were surrounded by a succession of blowspouts. The humpbacks were feeding along the ocean floor and coming up for air with enthusiastic jumps and tail flips. The sea was punctuated with glossy swells, shining tails, and misty spouts of seawater.

We followed a few different humpbacks for a while, managing to get up very close on the smaller boat. Captain Nick explained all of the equipment (to my eager self), how and why to know where to look, and added to the overall enthusiasm of the adventure, with good nature, lots of information, and wonderful whale stories. He went out of his way to show us a sunfish (a crazily bizarre and interesting ocean creature that I had never even heard of---google it.) as well as harbour porpoises, and various other wildlife.

But as we were there for the whales, the crowning glory of the trip was when we took one last diversion, after we should have been headed back, to see a finback whale... the second largest whale, and one I've never been able to see before! It made a spectacular trip even more spectacular, and it was nice that Captain Nick took genuine pleasure in showing us these animals and going out of his way to make sure that we got the most out of our experience.

I have been on many a whale watching trip, from Zodiac boats to large vessels, up and down the Eastern seaboard in Maine, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland, and this was the best one by far. The size of the boat was perfect: nice and intimate for basically double the price of a ticket on their bigger vessel--- and including a free pass to ride on the big boat as well, redeemable on the same or a different day. It was more than worth the extra money. It is a whole different experience. It created a wonderful shared memory for my family and friends and I, that will be hard to ever top, not to mention I saw more whales, and more varieties of whales, than I have ever seen on a single excursion. We had the freedom to choose what we wanted to see and how we wanted to spend our time (although traversing the deep seas to find a blue whale was vetoed). And Captain Nick is a gem. I would recommend (and already have recommended) Cape Ann Whale Watch to anyone who wants a great and unforgettable whale watching experience. I'm already planning trips for next year. :)

---Kimberly Lojewski