“dead bugs and mouse holes”

The Captain's Lodge
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Portland, Maine
“dead bugs and mouse holes”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We should have turned around immediately after seeing the place but we were in town for a wedding. And to give you some perspective, my husband and I are not squeamish, we have hiked backcountry, stayed in many a hostel and occasionally booked a seedy hotel to stay near an airport.

This place is the worst place we have ever laid our head. The highlights include: tape over holes in the screens, obvious mouse holes in the bathroom behind the toilet, and (worst of all) when I went to move the bedside table so that I could plug in my phone, dead roaches. We slept in the car because my skin was crawling. We attempted to contact management but no one answered the phone at night, returned our emails or was in the office at check out. This is a $50 a night hotel charging $144 a night. Spend the extra 30 and get some sleep.

Oh yeah... and we had called to request an upgrade to a king room the day we were arriving and were discouraged because the available room with a king size bed had a broken jacuzzi and was "seedier." I can only imagine what that room was like.

Room Tip: Any room but the ones in this hotel. A blanket on the beach, your car, or a cardboard box are all go...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LisaMegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dayton, OH
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I like the ole style motor lodges from the 30s to the 50s. This is one of those. Simple accommodations provided. Just the basics at a competitive price for all the other hotels in this area. What is fascinating about this place is the height of the ceilings. A captains motor Inn soaring high. Nice place, pleasant people, simple and helpful. I wold stay again when in the area and managing my expenses.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tyringham, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were hankering for a last-minute visit to the ocean. Duh, in mid-August the North Shore of Massachusetts is so booked up, but we were desperate. We took a chance for one night, a leap of faith, and got burned at the Captains Lodge Motel in Gloucester..... It's old, raggedy, falling apart. We woke up to a bath sink covered w/ ants (what we call "sugar ants"). Had to make sure our bags and clothing weren't infested so that we wouldn't carry any of the critters home. So, when I say "Don't go there," I mean "Do Not Go There!"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pelecanus

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My mom and I booked this online, pics looked okay......not so much in person! The minute we pulled in our jaws dropped. It looked like dirty windowless shacks were lined up next to one another, the windows to the office were crusted with dirt. It looked like a "pay by the hour" hotel, if you know what I mean. We took one look, went in the office and demanded a refund. Although a little hassle, we got our money back. Didn't even end up staying in Gloucester at all, everywhere else was booked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Phenry44
Dudley, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

very dirty rooms, matresses that should have been changed years ago,NO HOT WATER, DIRT AND HAIR CLOGGING THE DRAIN, loud next door, do to the filth and yelling about bugs in room/beds, better off sleeping in your car !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joe B
CT
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Last minute Friday booking for a Saturday in July with a dog. I knew I had to take what I could get - a smoking room with 2 double beds. Gotta say I was a little nervous because my room was in the way back and I had to cross the driveway from the parking area. As a woman by myself it was a little creepy even with the dog. I was okay and had a funny story but I was out of there at 6am. The girl in the office was very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kandjCt
Vermont
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I wanted a weekend place to relax in Cape Ann for my college student and I. What we got was the worst hotel I have stayed at in my entire life! Upon check in, the manager was delightful - but it went downhill from there. The carpets, furniture, lighting, TV and bed spread are easily 20 years past their life expectancy; worn, torn, broken or cracked. The TV had poor reception making it annoying to watch. While the mattress was comfortable (one good thing) it was impossible to sleep with all the noise from the outside. These were people just getting in and out of their cars – not even party goers. In fact, four other rooms departed before 6AM on that Sunday Morning! We were out by 7AM. So much for a relaxing weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank welchdiva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#3 of 7 in Gloucester
Sea Lion Motel
Sea Lion Motel
#5 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to The Captain's Lodge? Share your experiences!