“Family Tradition”
Review of Cape Ann Motor Inn

Cape Ann Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We have been coming to Cape Ann Motor Inn for over 15 years. We love it. The rooms are not spectacular...the view is. The rooms are beach, kid and pet friendly and clean. The kitchenettes do need a bit of updating, but we always bring a pot or frying pan with us. The staff is great. You literally walk down a flight or two of stairs and you are on the beach. The beach is clean, beautiful and just perfect for children and teens. (We did get great waves at the tale end of tropical storm Bill, too. It is also about an hour drive to Boston.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 13, 2009

You definetly get a room with a view, it does'nt matter what the weather is like, its still a great view from any of the rooms. The first morning we woke up and looked out the window it was foggy, but still looked good with the fog coming across the beach. The staff are friendly, the reception area has comfy settees, free coffee,a computer and Bert the parrot. The breakfast consists mainly of doughnuts. There is free wi-fi as well. Our room on the 2nd floor was very clean with a fridge. All rooms have a balcony area with chairs. If the people in the room above are noisy, ie. walking around or opening drawers, this can be heard, but we did not hear any voices or tv. Great location for the beach or a nice walk and just a 5 minute drive to Shaws supermarket and Gloucester.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

The location is amazing. This motel is literally on Long Beach, which is a beautiful, family-friendly, long beach with an island at the far end that offers more amazing views and hours of exploration. There was a running trail that continued on even farther into Rockport but I stopped at the island. I photographed stunning sunrises from the deck/balcony of our room (and promptly went right back to sleep).

Our room was vintage. It was pleasant enough and the cleaning staff certainly did their job, but the carpet, tv, furniture, etc. were old, occasionally mismatched and always utilitarian. The breakfast was just donuts and muffins with coffee and orange juice. Two of the front office staff were less than welcoming. Some of the decks along the building's exterior seemed like they could use repair, and soon. I guess I just came away with the impression that the money I was paying for my room was not going back into the business.

To put this into perspective, though, every hotel that I have seen on Cape Ann gives me the same impression. They all seem to be very old-fashioned and not recently renovated, and the summer room rates always seem extraordinarily high compared to the quality of the room. I would recommend this place to certain friends, but not to others.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Small rooms? Sure, but where can you find a reasonably priced room where every one has a balcony facing the beach? And do you go to Cape Ann to sit in the room? This is a family experience... nice place, beautiful view, warm and friendly staff, a welcoming lobby area. Kids will love it. Sure, the surf is not pounding in with five foot breakers, but it is a long beach with enough ocean waves to delight kids and calm adults. We have gone there twice, and leaving shortly for a third trip. The location is perfect in terms of other attractions. A short drive to Rockport, which is enough reason in itself, and a short drive to Gloucester, if you want to join the tourists. If you are fussy about the rooms, go somewhere else. If your priorities are family and life, come here.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed here on our visit through the New england states. I pick this place from the internet. What a disappointment. The rooms are very small, dark and dingy. The absolute worse beds. I don't think anyone got more than a hour or two sleep. The view is pretty. That is the only positive thing I can say about the place and that they take pets. THERE IS NO AIR CONDITIONING! It was a humid night and we had to open the sliding glass door to the beach which would have been fine (sort of) if we had a private balcony but the balcony is one long one across the back. People just walking by. Did not feel safe.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank vicki4050
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This was our 3rd time staying at the Cape Ann. If you have kids this place is just perfect. They can walk out of there room and run right onto the beach.Every room is ocean front and has a beautiful view of the Twin Lights. The rooms are average size and older but very clean. They are pet friendly and alot of folks bring there dogs, so if your not a dog lover I say this isnt the place for you. The ladies that work the front desk are super nice, and so are there maids. The prices are very reasonable for an ocean front hotel. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I am a teenager in a family with 3 other fairly old children ranging 13-20. Although we all cramp into one room together each year, the stay is relaxing, and filled with a real sence of caring.
My mother has been visiting Rockport and the Cape Ann Motor Inn since she was a little girl, and passed the tradition on to us. The fantastic views, nighttime walks and serenity of the beautiful (and clean) long beach will be a part of my life forever. I swear that every time we leave the CAMI and Rockport we tear up, and we have recommended it to other families that feel the same way.
Now, about the technicalities of my stay. You will stay in a clean, comfortable room and be greeted by a friendly staff each day. The complimentary donuts and coffee in the lobby each morning really help to start the day, and so does the welcome from Berta the parrot! Long beach is clean and very private, perfect for relaxing or having a great time in the water.
Im not just gushing about this place becuase its the only place ive been, I have also visited, florida, and luxirious beach houses in North Carolina, but nothing makes me feel more at peace or welcome then the CAMI, and I hope you will go and experience it too!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
#1 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Cape Ann Motor Inn? Share your experiences!