“Good thing it's a nice location or they would go broke”
Review of Cape Ann Motor Inn

Cape Ann Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My wife and I have bee staying at the CAMI for several years, it is great if you have pets, they are very tolerant, and you can't beat the view anywhere in the area.

Now the nitty gritty. The owner makes no effort to make returning customers fell welcome. He doesn't say hello, or good morning and basically ignores his clientel. You would think with the number of people who return year after year he could make you feel like he appreciates your business, or even like you are welcome, but no, he and his desk staff ask us every year if we have been there before. Why bother, he doesn't really seem to care. The beds are a joke, no queens that I know of, and the matresses would be worthy of a medieval torture chamber. I brought a cot once in the summer so as to give my wife a little space, and relieve her of my body heat. The chamber maids do their very best to keep the rooms clean, and are nicer than the owner. The buns and donuts they serve in the morning are terrible, as is the coffe.

Yet I go back, because of the location, and because I can bring my dog. I can walk out the door of my room and onto the beach. The owner doesn't deserve a place like this, he should be night clerk at a motel 6, whick, by the way are cleaner.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank cumquatNewYork

Reviewed September 3, 2008

August 2008 was our 3rd vacation to Cape Ann Motor Inn. We have made it an annual family vacation every summer! The Inn is wonderful! All staff is friendly, courteous, helpful! While there could be a few updates in the rooms, we don't go on vacation to stay in the room!!! We typically stay in a kitchenette - well stocked with pots, pans, dishes, utensils and a large refrigerator. The Inn is not air conditioned, but, with the ceiling fan and screen door open at night, the ocean breeze is wonderful! The location of the Inn is absolutely breathtaking! To be able to walk down the stairs and be directly on Long Beach is just priceless! The beach is very clean, with white sand - and long! At the end of Long Beach, is Pebble Beach - which is all.....pebbles!! Sitting on the deck, watching the sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean is something I would love to do every day! Our kids enjoy being on the beach - ALL day - EVERY day - which makes for a great relaxing vacation for my husband and I. Usually at night, we venture into Rockport to walk through the shops and stores. Centrally located, the Inn is very close to many restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores etc. The only negative thing (and believe me, it is certainly not a big deal) is that I wish the City of Gloucester would enforce the 'no dogs on the beach' policy. We did find many dogs wandering the beach - alone. I strongly recommend the Cape Ann Motor Inn to anyone looking for a relaxing, beautiful vacation on Cape Ann! It just doesn't compare to anything!!!!! Thanks Brad & Staff!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My family and I have been staying at the Cape Ann Motor Ann for several years now. We book the same room for the same week in August every year! You should stay at this Inn for the beach. It is gorgeous! The rooms are clean and the kitchenettes offer you the opportunity to have meals in your room or, at the beach. Each morning for breakfast, we go down to the lobby, say hello to 'Bert' the talking parrot and have our complimentary coffee, orange juice and fresh baked muffin or donut. There are tables with umbrellas outside the slider to take in the gorgeous scenery and watch the sandpipers or, you can lounge in the sectional in the lobby and watch the Today show. You can even check your email using the guest computer. You cannot beat the price of this family resort. We just paid $160. per night with the kitchette. It is $145. without. Hard to stay anywhere for that price. Every single room faces the ocean. If you are looking for a 4 star hotel with lots of amenities, go to New York City! You come to this year round Inn for the beach. Check it out and enjoy an awesome day on the beach!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2008

The accommodations are disgusting. We know we're paying for ocenview and direct access to beach. However it is not free and each year we return to the same old mattresses, same disgusting bedspreads, couch, chairs, etc. The boards on the deck have nails popping up every where and one person in our group actually cut her foot bad this summer from one such nail. We arrived to find a huge moldy patch on the bathroom ceiling and after complaining about it maintenance came and painted over it to cover it up !! The screens fall off the tracks daily. Brad and his staff at front desk are NOT friendly people. They act as if they could care less if you come back b/c they know someone else is right behind you looking for a room. I am done vacationing at CA Motor Inn. At least show some pride in your motel by updating something from time to time. There are many other places on Cape Ann to stay. Look around and please do not stay at the Cape Inn Motor Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
8  Thank Harry007NewYork
Reviewed July 25, 2008

The location is perfect, but do not make a reservation unless you belong to the lucky ones who can sleep "anywhere anytime - no matter what". The beds are awfull and do not belong in a hotel. Plus - you get the feeling the walls are made out of paper.
The rooms are dark. Breakfast is a joke: dounuts, muffins and coffee in the reception, standing. The woman in the reception told us how funny it was to see how most guests came too late to get some...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank FloraDenmark
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We have stayed on Cape Ann for several summers and have stayed at the Vista and the Atlantis most of the time. The Atlantis is nice because it is peaceful (minus some traffic). The worst part about staying at these locations was having to pack all the stuff to the beach and pay for parking. When we found the Cape Ann Motor Inn (CAMI), we were quite excited about staying one summer right on the beach and the place looks very nice from the outside. We went into our vacation with great expectations.

Upon arrival our room was a complete disappointment. People that say otherwise are being kind. The room had damaged furniture, torn wall paper, cob webs. The place was noisy and privacy is not to be found (people tracking back and forth past the sliding door all the time, loud conversations and stomping around). We were located near the stairs which may be part of the problem. However, if another motel had been available we would have moved even if it meant paying a penalty.

Our vacation in 2007 was mediocre. Anyway, if you want a place to stay for the convenience of the beach - it is fine. The staff was friendly and the outside of the place looked great. IMO, for the price, it is time that the rooms received attention and the housekeeping could be a bit more rigorous in cleaning. We'll not stay at the CAMI again unless it is improved from a one star motel to something a bit more nice for the price.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank WallingfordNY
Reviewed June 24, 2008

After reading reviews and such I was prepared for the typical motel room and sandy floors and even sand in the bed. My wife is always fine with the rustic places, while I like clean and updated decent rooms. Cape Ann needs to spend $5k on each room and update them and charge people $25 more per night. It is rather pathetic that the owners choose not to spend money on capital improvements on this motel which is in a great lil' private nook tucked away...Shame on them.

The rooms are very outdated and obviously need to be repaired. The vinyl Sofa was hard as a rock. The board in between the mattress was a nice touch. COME ON, if it's bad enough that you have to place a board in there, REPLACE the bed. Loved the felt like blanket which was about as thin as fabric at Joannne Fabric shoppes. THe holes in the blanket were either from wear and tear or bedbugs. HOLES in blanket=NEW BLANKET please.

So grab a glass of water from the efficiency kitchen area (Iv'e seen welfare apt. have better kitchen areas) and YUK, the glasses were FILThY, not dirty but FILTHY! turned my stomach.

THh major patchworks through the ceiling was a great sight to see too. Obviously it's old because you could hear the guy above us trouncing all around.

Cape Ann is a great place to be on the beach, location is tucked away and somewhat private. Some motel staff were nice, but one lady needs a review class of customer service. I would not reccomend this place to anyone, even if they wanted to be on the beach. Again I find it pathetic the owners choose greed over capital improvements of this motel. THey have a gem of a location but seem to care less if it gets washed away into the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank professorkev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge
Vista Motel
Vista Motel
#3 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Cape Ann Motor Inn? Share your experiences!