“Simple Pleasures”

Ranked #4 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Simple Pleasures”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

After reading many of the reviews, I felt compelled to write my own. While the Cape Ann is an older hotel, you cannot get a better value for your dollars especially with a location of being direclty on the beach. We stay at the hotel several weekends out of the year, mostly October through May, and most often stay in the honeymoon suite. The suite is very comfortable and private. We travel with our two dogs and consider the Cape Ann our home away from home. When the Honeymoon Suite is not available we will stay in the standard rooms and/or kitchenettes. While the standard rooms are a bit dated, they are clean and well kept. One review talks about dirty hallyways - there are no hallways - there are open air decks leading to the rooms on both the front and back of the hotel. For under $200 (and considerably less off season) this is the best value you can get and the people who work there are wonderful and eager to help if you need anything. While this may not be the premier luxury hotel on the east cost, the Cape Ann is a wonderful place to stay for the average individual - especially if you travel with your dog or are a dog lover.

Room Tip: Rooms located on either end of the building are generally the best since you share a deck with all t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DJSweeney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ellenton, Fl
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Although dated, it is very pleasant, clean and comfortable. If you want fresh sea air, walks on the beach and your juices rejuvenated stay here. The rustic atmosphere adds to the New England coastal experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Oostduinkerke, Belgium
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The only positive thing about this motel is its location right on the beach. All the rest is in need of urgent replacement. Outdated and noisy rooms, dirty hallways, dogs returning from a beach swim in the place were breakfast (only danish that is) is made available, uninterested staff. Truly the most horrible place we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank egelantje

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This motor inn is pretty dump-y, but that wasn't what bothered me, because the motel is in a great location. No, what bothered me was that my room's "deck area" was located right in the path of the wooden staircase, located on the beach side of the motel, that everyone used, constantly. So when I sat in my room, trying to look out, people passed by every few seconds, often stopping to look IN! (Whats that all about? do people have no boundaries or sense of etiquette?) And i couldn't comfortably sit in a chair out on the deck without people trying to squeeze by, did I mention, CONSTANTLY, to go up and down those stairs? Finally, the staircase blocked a good portion of the view.
I couldn't ask for a different room, as I got the last one available. Now I know why!
So whatever you do, DON'T book rooms 15, 25, or 35 (first, second, and third floor) or even the ones on either side.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Jacquidion
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This was our third year coming back to the Cape Ann. Reading all the reviews provides insight into the property. It is outdated and is definitely not the Taj. That said, the bed was comfortable (old - but my fussy back was not bothered - I slept very well). While there is no AC, we left the sliding door and the bathroom window open creating a nice breeze - and the sound of the ocean - which I love! The shower is adequate. The coffee in the morning is plentiful and the donuts and muffins are fresh. Above all - location, location, location!! The beach is clean and well maintained. The access to the ocean is perfect. Once again we have booked our room for next year.

• Stayed August 2013
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

After reading some reviews we were skeptical. Once we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are a little outdated but very clean. The location is right on the beach. Excellent view. The grounds are kept immaculate and the beach in front as well. No offensive smells and the bath room was great. Would defiantly stay here again and would recommend it. Only drawback is no AC. There is a fan and nice ocean breeze. Leaving the door open at night and listening to the
ocean was the best part.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Nancy L
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I planned two night stay at the Cape Ann. When we got to the room, it was like a sweltering sauna. And it smelled like a reptile store.It was hot like being in the engine room on a ship. To our surprise, there was no air conditioning. I immediately put on my bathing suit because I was sweating so bad. When I was changing from civilian clothes, my socks became saturated from the damp carpet. We swam in the ocean to cool off, and returned to the hotel room. I immediately took a shower. Although outdated. I didn't want to leave the shower. It was the best part of being at the hotel. To make a long story short. I was up all night. Tried calling the front desk. I was able to Speek to Brad in the morning. We ended up paying for one of the two nights stay. Brad is too proud to admit that i'm right. I'm posting this to warn my fellow mates and all veterans who are looking for relaxation. I'm not against a dog friendly environment. But, keep in mind that a dog should be entitled to an air conditioning environment too. If you stay elsewhere and you are in the area. Please ask to see a room at the Cape Ann. You will be thankfull that you didn't waste your money$

Room Tip: There's no A/C !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank David D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Sea Lion Motel
Sea Lion Motel
#5 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Cape Ann Motor Inn? Share your experiences!