“Choose your room carefully!”
Review of Cape Ann Motor Inn

Cape Ann Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
“Choose your room carefully!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This motor inn is pretty dump-y, but that wasn't what bothered me, because the motel is in a great location. No, what bothered me was that my room's "deck area" was located right in the path of the wooden staircase, located on the beach side of the motel, that everyone used, constantly. So when I sat in my room, trying to look out, people passed by every few seconds, often stopping to look IN! (Whats that all about? do people have no boundaries or sense of etiquette?) And i couldn't comfortably sit in a chair out on the deck without people trying to squeeze by, did I mention, CONSTANTLY, to go up and down those stairs? Finally, the staircase blocked a good portion of the view.
I couldn't ask for a different room, as I got the last one available. Now I know why!
So whatever you do, DON'T book rooms 15, 25, or 35 (first, second, and third floor) or even the ones on either side.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Jacquidion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This was our third year coming back to the Cape Ann. Reading all the reviews provides insight into the property. It is outdated and is definitely not the Taj. That said, the bed was comfortable (old - but my fussy back was not bothered - I slept very well). While there is no AC, we left the sliding door and the bathroom window open creating a nice breeze - and the sound of the ocean - which I love! The shower is adequate. The coffee in the morning is plentiful and the donuts and muffins are fresh. Above all - location, location, location!! The beach is clean and well maintained. The access to the ocean is perfect. Once again we have booked our room for next year.

• Stayed August 2013
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

After reading some reviews we were skeptical. Once we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are a little outdated but very clean. The location is right on the beach. Excellent view. The grounds are kept immaculate and the beach in front as well. No offensive smells and the bath room was great. Would defiantly stay here again and would recommend it. Only drawback is no AC. There is a fan and nice ocean breeze. Leaving the door open at night and listening to the
ocean was the best part.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Nancy L
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I planned two night stay at the Cape Ann. When we got to the room, it was like a sweltering sauna. And it smelled like a reptile store.It was hot like being in the engine room on a ship. To our surprise, there was no air conditioning. I immediately put on my bathing suit because I was sweating so bad. When I was changing from civilian clothes, my socks became saturated from the damp carpet. We swam in the ocean to cool off, and returned to the hotel room. I immediately took a shower. Although outdated. I didn't want to leave the shower. It was the best part of being at the hotel. To make a long story short. I was up all night. Tried calling the front desk. I was able to Speek to Brad in the morning. We ended up paying for one of the two nights stay. Brad is too proud to admit that i'm right. I'm posting this to warn my fellow mates and all veterans who are looking for relaxation. I'm not against a dog friendly environment. But, keep in mind that a dog should be entitled to an air conditioning environment too. If you stay elsewhere and you are in the area. Please ask to see a room at the Cape Ann. You will be thankfull that you didn't waste your money$

Room Tip: There's no A/C !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank David D

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in July 2013, and we had the most terrible experience. We hardly slept given that it was hot, and this hotel has no AC, the room was filthy, and smelled like a wet dog. This hotel has not been updated since the 1960's, and needs it badly. The room photos they show on the internet look outdated, yet they look clean, however this place is very run down, and needs some major bringing into the 20th century. The carpets in the rooms were wet, stained, and dirty. I'm talking saturated from years of pet puke, poop, and pee in them. If you want a hotel room that is a little better than staying in a dog kennel then stay here. This seems to be popular for pet owners who like to bring their dogs with them on vacation, however the rooms cater mored to the pets, not the people. It was awful, we only stayed one night, checked out the next morning and booked a room at a much nicer establishment for the same price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Knoxplanner7
South Windsor, Ct.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Cape Ann Motor Inn in Gloucester has been our family destination for 25 years. Every room has a balcony overlooking the water. The staff is pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast is provided free of charge. The beach is clean and a mile long for a great walk. Now that the kids are grown I come with friends and still have a great time.

Fondly,
Jeannine Richard

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Barnstable, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I wanted a night away and took a ride to Gloucester. This motor inn was within our budget and on the ocean. The room was very tiny. It was clean as was the bathroom. For the price, it was okay. I think they could take it out of the 1960's though. But perhaps because business is good and it is directly on the ocean they see no need to. But they should reinvest something into the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichelleA912
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Sea Lion Motel
Sea Lion Motel
#5 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Cape Ann Motor Inn? Share your experiences!