“Just your average motel, with the most beautiful view of the ocean, sitting right on Long Beach.”
Review of Cape Ann Motor Inn

Cape Ann Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This is your average motel or motor Inn, it is not a swanky hotel or resort. It is clean, it has comfortable beds and fresh linen, regular plain clean linen, not 500 count percale. It has celling fans, no air conditioning, I'm not sure if I would be any to happy with that if it wore hot and humid, however, I have gone here twice, in 10 years, both times in the beginning of May, for my Honeymoon and 10 year Anniversary.. This motel is nothing special so don't expect that it is. The reason that I love it here so much is because it is right on Long Beach, I can hear the ocean all night long, I can walk the beach whenever I please, fly a kite, have a cookout, and enjoy the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises over the ocean, listen to the sea gulls, relax, unwind, and renew my spirit . The place is Clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the room cleaners. What more could you want? If you want more, then this isn't the place for you, if you want to be right on the beach, with free parking and a clean comfortable room, this is the place to go.I Love it here, hopefully you will too.

Room Tip: Room # 30 had a wonderful view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Hubbardston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2011

we stayed at the cape ann over spring vacation (off season) The price could not be beat - only $85 a night for a 2 beds for a family of 5 (one little one & 2 tweens). I loved that they accepted us without trying to make us pay for 2 rooms (wouldn't feel comfortable not having everyone together) I also loved that they accepted families with the furry family friends! It's not posh but the views and freedom make it awesome! We had a blast on the beautiful beach - sunrise is amazing and playing in tide pools finding starfish, sponges, anemones was just unforgetable. Looking forward to going back again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I prefer posh resorts and though this motel is anything but, I really enjoy my stay here. The location is completely incomparable to anything else. You literally walk from your room to the beach. The rooms themselves are beach rooms, for sure. Don't expect the Ritz. But really, who cares? You're on the beach! The place could be a bit more updated, but for the price I don't mind at all. We had bonfires on the brach every night and had a blast. I've booked for next year already!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
cranston, ri
Reviewed March 6, 2011

if you want an exquisite room, this is motor inn is not for you. the room may have been dated but the incredible views and sounds are amazing. i took my 6 yr yellow lab jake. he had the best stay ever!! the staff was very nice! (though, it is off season) i'd def go back! you should know, there is no a/c, just a ceiling fan for summer stays.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This hotel trades on its location, and is resting on its laurels. Yes, the setting is wonderful, right on the beach. However, the approach is somewhat uninteresting thru an dull residential area.

But the thing that is so sad is the appalling state of the hotel and the arrogance of the management. We arrived in the late afternoon, had difficulty finding anyone with any responsibility for the hotel, and were eventually attended to by a youth who had been playing on his bicycle outside with other teenagers whilst we were looking for help.

The room was dirty, and we found rubbish from a previous guest lying on the floor. There was sand everywhere (acceptable outside, but surely not in the bathroom and bedroom??), the sliding door to the balcony didn't work, and the whole room was very shabby.

We went out for a meal locally, came back and found that none of the lights in the room worked. We tried to get help (it was about 10 pm), but the only person available was another youth who said he didn't know what to do as he had only started to work there that day.

"Breakfast" was merely a box of muffins that had been delivered from a local shop. The staff couldn't even be bothered to put them on a plate, and we were eating out of a cardboard box.

When we left (luckily we were only staying one night) we raised some of the these points with a receptionist; she simply said too bad - e-mail the hotel and tell them; she was plainly not interested.

We e-mailed the hotel, and received no form of apology - simply someone re-iterating that lots of people come back each year - and we were told that it was our fault that the lights had not been working.

Lovely setting, totally spoilt by dirt, things not working and arrogant staff. Would I stay again? No way. Would I recommend it? No - don't stay there and don't be fooled by the photographs and the words. Finally, we were spending two weeks in New England, and this was the dirtiest and most expensive motel we stayed in all the time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank diggory12

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Palmer, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I get very distraught when I hear and see the negative reviews about CAMI. My hubbie and I have been going there for 11 years and counting. We have tried other places near by and this place beats them all where it really matters. Yes the furniture is a little out dated, but we don't go there for the furniture and if you do...shame on you. The rooms are always clean, the sliding glass doors always clean, the beds are comfortable. The management is friendly and professional. The maid service in impeccable. We did have a problem with plumbing one time and within 5 minutes... the owner was taking care of the problem and believe me it was fixed to out satisfaction. We have had noisy neighbors a few times but when confronted, they piped down. Rude neighbors aren't the fault of the management...geeze. We bring our dog, Max and he loves running on the beach and meeting the other dogs that are there. I have never heard dogs that were barking constantly nor were any dogs NOT tended by their owners

I would recommend this place to Anyone who wants to stay in a comfortable... affordable... peaceful get-a-way. Attached at pictures that I have taken either from my room or right on the beach.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank punkin7743
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 25, 2010

First let me say I had anxiety for weeks before we went because of some of the negative comments other visitors wrote about CAMI, but I am so thankful my husband didn't let me listen to them. CAMI is a VERY CLEAN, but yes outdated beach motel, but it is exactly that a BEACH motel. The carpets are of an indoor outdoor material but what else could you have when your sliding door opens to a sandy beach? I as an adult tracked in to our room so much delightful beach sand, I could only imagine if there were kids with us! Yes the couch is of a leather or vinyl material, but again, I kept getting beach sand on that, so I realized this inn is decorated as it should be for being right on the beach! Sunrises on your balcony will take your breath away! We went in the fall for the beauty and can't wait to go back again! I saw all the other inns and hotels and maybe they are fancier BUT you will be trading in the sounds of waves crashing on the beach from your room and magestic sunrises!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Rockport Inn and Suites
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Sea Lion Motel
Sea Lion Motel
#5 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Cape Ann Motor Inn? Share your experiences!