“Historic house”

Beauport, the Sleeper-McCann House
Ranked #1 of 61 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Also called the Beauport Sleeper-McCann House, this fantasy mansion of more than 40 rooms is perched on the rocks overlooking Gloucester Harbor.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very interesting tour. The guide was excellent. Each room had a story and a theme. The view was beautiful and the grounds gorgeous. It was inexpensive for seniors $12 and worth it. There are rest rooms on the property and a small gift shop.

5  Thank 2bignanas
"national trust"
"preserved home"
"shoe covers"

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I took my girlfriend to see Beauport, Sleeper-McCann House. This was her 1st visit she'd been by the road leading to the entrance many, many times but had never toured the mansion. This mansion, like it's creator is so unique, wimsical and unusual. I just love looking out the windows at the many angles of the roofs as they join one another. As this was my 4th visit, I find the collections eclectic and never tire of the trip back into history it gives me. I think my favorite room is the dining room with it's "wall of windows which drops down into the wall below, to let the sea air in" and the fact that portions of the interior came from so many other mansions and were recycled and intricately fitted into the design of specific rooms. There is always something I missed seeing in my first few visits or some tidbit of information which I'd forgotten that I will never tire of visiting Beauport. The guides as well as the ladies in the gift shop are knowledgeable, friendly and accomodating. The collections of amethyst and amber glass are always striking, as are the vintage wallpapers, and the various "heat stoves" situated in the various rooms each one different. One fact I'd forgotten was the room with the "wood curtins" hung in the window. I will have to take in the "nooks and crannies" tour sometime in the future as I am sure there are even more interesting facts still to be revealed.

It was so sad to learn that a great deal of information/knowledge and provenances about the items and artifacts of this architectural gem have been forever lost when Mr. Henry Davis Sleeper, one of America's first interior designers and his mother passed.

My girlfriend and I both love the place and will definately go back. Please note: Some of the doorways or entrances to the rooms are quite narrow and there are stairs to negotiate to get to other rooms and therefore it is not wheelchair accessible.

5  Thank MS H
Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was so interesting. The grounds are gorgeous. Our guide was very knowledgeable and loved when people asked questions. There are 2 types of tours...your basic 1 hour tour which was good. But also a Nooks and Crannies tour that visits every one of the rooms in the house. I didn't know about that one until we were on the basic one. I would have LOVED the Nooks and Crannies tour. Such an interesting house!

4  Thank lakenney
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Enjoyed Beauport very much. Very different type of house filled with amazing themed rooms and beautiful views. If you're in Gloucester and enjoy great historic homes, Beauport is a place to visit

2  Thank Mitchell K
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2013

They have a 1 hr and a 3 hr tour to choose from. You do not need a reservation for the standard one hour tour. It's a good idea for the longer tour because we were told they fill up fast. The mansion and collection are spectacular -- I am not eloquent enough to do it justice. Just go and experience it for yourself. Unlike other historical homes you are not kept out of the rooms by a rope and only allowed to peek in from the doorway. Our docent, Elizabeth, was knowledgeable and personable. As you walk through the rooms it feels as if someone still lives there. This is not meant as a criticism, but as something to keep in mind when you plan your visit if you are sensitive to the heat. It was hot and muggy the day we went; there is no AC so it was very uncomfortable in some rooms. Not for young children.

3  Thank L G