“Wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Worcester
“Wonderful”
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I just stay at the Colonial Hotel this past weekend with a group of 8 other couples. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. All the overnight rooms have been renovated including the bathrooms! One couple upgraded there standard room to a luxury suite. I only have one word for this room..."WOW" Dinner was amazing the Prime Rib Buffet was to die for. The make your own omelets were delicious at the breakfast buffet! I will never stay any where else in this area.

• Liked — Clean Rooms and Wonderful Service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
IL
Reviewed October 7, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding. The hotel is average, but in this location there are not many / any other options. The rooms are clean and beds comfortable enough.

The bar closes early (before 1AM). The breakfast buffet is OK, but nothing special. They have a small weightroom with a treadmill and a weight machines. The machine is difficult to figure out and not too functional.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if there were other options. However, if you are in this area, this is probably the best option out there.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank TimIL747
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We stayed at the Colonial for one night recently while at a family gathering. I can honestly say that the front desk staff was one of the highlights of the stay - courteous, efficient and very friendly. The appearance of the hotel in general is fine, even stunning with the grand staircase in the lobby, but the room was disappointing. The king sized bed was squeaky with a very thin mattress and the thinnest, saddest looking pillows I've ever seen!

2 out of the 4 lamps in our room had lightbulbs that were dead - annoying but not critical. The worst issue besides the depressing bed was the sound of water hammer in the pipes anytime the water was turned on in our room or nearby! It was loud and aggravating and did not improve after the water was running for time. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, as were the linens and the common areas that I could see. The shower was poor, with only half of the flow coming out of the showerhead while the rest emptied out of the faucet to collect around my feet, towels were thin and small and in short supply.

With a little attention and some upgrading of the furnishings, this could be a quite nice hotel, and I would stay again, mostly because it was very clean and choices in this area are few, but I would not pay more than $60 a night for this room.

• Liked — The front desk staff
  • Disliked — Poor quality furnishings, plumbing issues
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank irishstjean

Travelers are raving about these Gardner hotels

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2006

My son decided to go to college in nearby Rindge, NH...that being said, finding a hotel close by that was not going to compromise his college tuition was not an easy feat. This is a rural area and most hotels were above Rindge, out of my way or pricy bed & breakfasts.
I have stayed at the Clarion twice; in April when we visited the college and in August when we dropped him off. We are going up again this weekend.
The staff of the Clarion, both behind the desk and in the restaurants and bar are extremely friendly, making your stay pleasurable. Granted, the rooms are not 5 star but in both stays they were clean and quiet which is all I was looking for.
As long as my son continues his higher education in the area, I will be happy to stay with the Clarion staff.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing, was fine
  • Tips/Secrets — Not really
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Newton, MA
Reviewed April 11, 2006

My wedding shower was at the Colonial Hotel this past weekend. The room where the shower was held was a recent addition to the hotel. With natural lighting and lovely hardwood floors, it's a beautiful location for a shower. The credit for the decoration of the room has to go mostly to the bridesmaids and others who planned the shower, but the banquet staff did a very nice job with the tables and the buffet. The food was very good, and the banquet staff was efficient without being too hovery. I will definitely recommend the location to others. We got rave reviews from everyone who came!

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank KateNewton
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Reviewed December 26, 2005

We've stayed in this hotel many times in the past few years, visiting family in the area. We stayed over the Christmas holiday weekend on our last trip. In the past few years, we have watched the quality of the hotel declined.

We had booked the jacuzzi suite as part of our vacation to ourselves. My brother-in-law and his family traveled from Florida and stayed in the other jacuzzi suite (there are only 2 in the hotel). The dark furniture was chipped and dusty, the bedding was dirty, and the room lighting was very poor. Not only was my request to replace the dirty bedspread unheeded, the housekeeping staff failed to clean the room the first day. The bedspread was replaced and the room was cleaned for the remainder of our stay, but the poor service left us with a sour taste and the housekeeper with a very small tip.

The breakfast buffet for both Christmas morning and Monday morning consisted mainly of cold hard boiled eggs, muffins and cereal. You could cook yourself a waffle, but there was no bacon or sausage, to be had. Our breakfasts and dinners were included in our package price of $200 per night, but with no kitchen staff over the holiday weekend, we felt short changed.

The hotel advertised laundry service. My brother-in-law and his family left their laundry to be sent out on Friday. On Monday, the dirty laundry was returned and the front desk manager then informed the family that the laundry wasn't picked up by the cleaners, and that no cleaners were open the day after Christmas.

Bottom line advice - don't bother booking a suite; stick to the regular rooms, and don't expect service above or beyond basic, then you won't be disappointed. The pool's jacuzzi is fine, considering the overpriced suites.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank Yogagurl2015
Pelham, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 27, 2005

For a Clarion property, this hotel is just "tired"---tired room decor, tired breakfast buffet, and so on down the line. Cheap plastic toilet seats missing parts, wall towel holder coming out of the wall, old carpet---well, I am sure you get the idea. The bright spot were the pleasant, and generally helpful, people behind the desk.

WIFI worked OK first day, but not the second. I do resent having to personally contact the company to try to resolve the problems, when the hotel is the one offering free high-speed internet access.

4 Thank nhhiker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
#2 of 2 in Gardner
Rodeway Inn Westminster
Rodeway Inn Westminster
#1 of 1 in Westminster

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!