“Good hotel for the area, would stay again!”
Review of Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
winchendon
“Good hotel for the area, would stay again!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel off and on for a period of about 5 months, due to construction work being done on my house. The staff was generally pretty friendly. We stayed in several different rooms, the rooms were always clean + kept clean by the staff. Never saw a bug! Biggest complaint with the room was that every piece of furniture in the room we most often stayed (a handicap room) was stained. We also experienced one plumbing problem, but 5 months is a long time to stay problem-free! Breakfast was included (during the week), it was pretty good, way better than average, and varied day to day. Breakfast staff was excellent. There is also some kind of meal deal that includes the restaraunt, ask when you check in for info. Food at the restaraunt varied in quality, I'll cover it seperately. I WILL say the chili is KILLER, maybe the best I've ever had. I would recommend this hotel for people coming to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer to the lobby! You may have to walk very far in one wing of the hotel. We were...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mrolds69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Overall clean, quiet and welcoming. Close-up though you find a refurbished hotel that did the job without focusing on the details. Restaurant has very, very good dinners, but breakfast is sub-par.

The rooms have been redone, you can tell this is a very old hotel that used to allow smoking. Very tiny bathrooms, with refinishing done so you can notice - chips on tubs, wallpaper peeling, poor caulking jobs and hair dryer cords that are stained and yellowed. Overall cleanliness is maybe a 7/10.

The room itself is ok, however, one of my throw pillows had obvious stains on it, I have no idea what from. The TV remotes are so worn out you can't see numbers on them, and the only way to watch TV is to type in a channel number, the up/down function does not work, confirmed this with the front desk.

Dinner is amazing for a hotel. Very good entrees, never disappointed, and a good selection of beer. Breakfast is amazingly bad - lousy coffee, buffet similar to a Hampton Inn, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One day the cook didn't show up so the waitress made breakfast, I left before sampling it.

Up in that area there isn't much to choose from...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Epping NH
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our family situation brought us to the area, and we are so glad we chose the Colonial Hotel. We had a suite and a regular non smoking room and both were wonderful, always clean! We were there for 11 nites over a two wk period. The food - well after staying so many nites we got to sample many items on the large menu - all were amazing! What a deal, we did the package plan of dinner and breakfast great price! The waitress's were the best, friendly, knowledgeable and professional. All the front door staff were so friendly and helpful as we change our plans many times. We were here both weekends while weddings were happening and during the week for quiet times and felt very comfortable. A very, very pleasurable experience!

Painesville, Ohio
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Colonial Inn is a great place to stay if you are in the area. This is our second stay at this hotel and it is still one we would come back to. The room was comfortable, but we could smell cigarette smoke every time we left the room. All of the rooms on that floor were marked as non-smoking, but I feel that some felt that only meant the rooms, not the hallways. Other than that, the room was fine. I do feel that our trip to the restaurant was not as satisfactory as the last time we stayed. The prices are comparable, but the add ons can get a little pricey. We ended up spending over $50.00 for a sandwich and pasta. The desserts were definitely not up to par for the price that was charged. The food was tasty, but we would definitely double check before ordering next time. Breakfast was good and I would still recommend this hotel for a relaxing stopping point if you are in the area.

Lynn
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great secluded hotel. The restaurant within had great steaks and atmosphere. Took a short ride and found the Old Mill Restaurant on a river nearby which was a really cool experience. Another short ride and you are at the Yankee Candle Flagship store.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Khris B
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were probably the only people in the hotel NOT there for a wedding. I'm sure it's a lovely place for those events. The public rooms and grounds are nice but the room was really mediocre. We paid for an Executive King and there was, in fact, a king bed but nothing "executive" about it. I've had larger bathrooms in steerage on cruise ships. My husband and I could barely use it at the same time. The bath tub was loose so it moved and creaked while you were in it and there was nothing to keep you from slipping. The hotel was also noisy in the night which I guess is to be expected with wedding folks but it added to the discomfort. Our main complaint is that the room is totally over-priced for the quality.

AND the staff - particularly the front desk had no customer service skills. We arrived early and Jan at the desk was at best unfriendly and at worst bordered on rude. She made no effort to accommodate us and sent us to the restaurant looking at the clock and rolling her eyes when we came back well after the promised time. No one at the facility was very friendly with the exception of the bartender who was nice.

If you aren't forced to stay there because of a conference or wedding, don't.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an Executive Room - not worth it.... though the others may be worse!
2 Thank Ellie B

Travelers are raving about these Gardner hotels

Gardner, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room due to electrical problems at my home....I call back to possibly cancel the reservation....I knew they prolly wouldn't give me my money back but hoped I could possibly get it for another night instead and the person I talked to wasn't a "big" decision maker and they left a message for some woman to call me back but they never did....I will never book there again

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Schwinn88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardner
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
#1 of 1 in Westminster
No photo provided
Travel Inn
#1 of 1 in Orange

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!