“Good meal in a small town”
Review of Gardner Ale House

Gardner Ale House
Ranked #1 of 46 Restaurants in Gardner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I were in Garnder for a friend's wedding. We arrived around lunch time, so I did what I normally do and checked yelp to see what was near by. There was not much around, and since we were on a time crunch to get ready for the wedding, I did not want to venture to far around the surrounding towns. From the hotel we drove into downtown, which looked like it had been hit pretty hard with the economic downturn, but we came across the Ale house which seemed to be the only thing open besides a malt shoppe and Dunkin Donuts.
We went in looking for a quick meal, and we got that PLUS a good meal. I ordered the lobster roll (a special) and my husband a pizza. The pizza was huge, so we took it back to the hotel with us, and the lobster roll had so much meat on it. We are from the NYC area, and recently I got a lobster roll about twice the price as this one with half the amount of meat. We also tried the draft beer, which was great.
If we found ourselves in the Gardner area we would be sure to go back!

1  Thank ctyankee05

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this by saying we did go to dinner here once and it was pretty good. So...
We decides to try the Sunday breakfast buffet. Looked online and there appeared to be a big selection with live jazz music!

When we got there our server (who only had to get our drinks and take away empty plates) seemed like she didn't want to be there. We went to the buffet and 75% of the selections were empty or had one spoonful left. We got a few things figuring that they were in the process of refilling and sat down. I mentioned one item specifically to our server to see if she could tell me if they would be getting more and she didn't seem pleased at all that I was asking. She told me it would be refilled in a minute. We waited about 15 mins went back up and only 2 items out of about 10 had been refilled. There was a worker millig about the buffet line (the same one who was there the first time around) and I mentioned the one item I really wanted and he said "oh that's empty? Ill have them make more". I believe it's his job to be watching this because he was walking around it the whole time... Anyway, needless to say that the food was all mediocre at best, some things were never refilled, and the "jazz band" was three older gentlemen who were playing light music- but not jazz. They were good but just not what I expected.

1  Thank Kristina B
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is the place to go when shopping at the furniture warehouses in Gardner. Downtown Gardner is a bit run down and sad, but the Ale House is a bright spot. Extremely friendly staff, lots of activities such as Blues Mondays and Jazz Sundays, and really good quality food and drink. We tried the veggie burger and the turkey burger, both of which were delicious. They have great little extras such as putting avacado on the veggie burger and using a top quality bun. For $1 extra, you can get sweet potato fries instead of regular french fries with your burger - highly recommended. Although they specialize in beer, they have a good selection of wines by the glass at really reasonable prices.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Love the crab dip. Love the Thai salad. Love the fish and chips. Love the pulled pork. I make an effort to try new things (there are always new things on the menu!) ... but it's hard to resist repeating the things I've already tried and loved. Check out the flower boxes ... they are just beautiful. Service is always good. The noise level is high, but the food is worth it.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

They always seem to come up with some creative meals that are great. I love trying all the new items on the menu and it is all fresh products. It is in a great location and the inside is great! The staff is friendly and very helpful.

Been to Gardner Ale House? Share your experiences!