“Guru is a Great Introduction to Indian Food”
Review of Guru - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Last week my boyfriend and I decided to try the Indian food at Guru. We both recently moved to Franklin and weren't sure how to feel about Indian food outside of the city. Guru is truely a hidden gem! The service is a little slow but friendly and helpful. The manager Kelly is excellent and is currently working on training a lot of new staff members. They were really accomodating to my gluten allergy which is a HUGE plus for me at any restaurant. The food is a little pricey but well worth it in quality and quantity. The drinks are very reasonable which balances out the bill at the end of the night. Since they are a newer place they are participating in sweet jack and groupon deals which makes it a no brainer to try! I have since taken several of my friends who never tried Indian food before there and they have all loved it as much as I do.

1  Thank Emma D

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I tried Guru and Indian food for the first time tonight. Kate, our waitress, was great and so were her recommendations. The Guru Combo Platter was spicey for this Irish girl but good, We also had the Chicken Korma, the Lamb Dilruba and the Garlic Nan/bread. The chicken and Lamb came with rice. They were both very good. You can ask for your degree of spicyness. Since Kate knew the menu so well, we felt confident in our selections since we were newbies at an Indian restuarant. There is plenty of on the street parking and there is music starting around 7, I think, we were there around 6. The tables were starting to fill in as dinner went on. The prices are reasonable so it's worth checking it out.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

went with family for dinner on a Monday night. Service was prompt and courteous. Samosas were delicious and not double fried. We ordered Okhra and Paneer tawa masala. The Okhra was good but somewhat oily. The Paneer vegetable was made of tomato puree and heavy cream and was ordinary. The breads including aloo naan, paratha and roti were outstanding. We ordered kulfis for desert and they were ordinary. All in all would go there only if you are craving Indian food and are in the area.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I were craving Indian the other day so we decided to head to Guru. We showed up at 7 pm on a Saturday- walked in with the live entertainment and had no clue what to do. There wasn't a host stand (not sure if there typically is and it wasn't there because the band was setting up?) so we just walked to the right into the restaurant. We stopped at the end of a row of tables and just waited... someone told us they were just wiping down a table after five minutes of standing and wondering. Five minutes after that, someone else asked if we were waiting and told us someone was wiping down a table. Finally, the table was clean and no one was there to seat us or bring us menus.

After we finally sat down and had menus, we asked about the appetizer sampler and the waitress replied, "it is really hard to explain," ummm... you work here and since it is a sampler- I am pretty certain what it consists of is already printed on the menu. Either way, we ordered it and it was good. Unfortunately, we still don't know the proper names of what we got.

We had the Garlic Naan, Chicken Tikka Masala, and Chicken Balti. They were all spiced well and tasted great. The Balti was a lot like the Tikka Masala so next time we might try a different dish to switch it up.

For dessert, we ordered rice pudding and instead got cheese and pistachios. The waitress, I am guessing, thought that the rice pudding dish was called "Ras Malai" because it sounds like rice? It is actually: Fresh homemade farmers’ cheese in sweetened milk, served with pistachios- not really what we were hoping for.

She dropped the check- the wrong check- so we waited for that to be fixed. All said, I believe the meal took close to two hours. The food was really good so we would get take out from there but the service was poorly trained and slow, the decor still looks like it did when it was an Italian restaurant so I think dining in again is out of the question.

As a side note, the band was actually pretty good too. So if you want to go for live music, sit at the bar. The service there might be better.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

So it doesn't look like a typical Indian restaurant (no posters of India; no statues of obscure gods), but who cares? The food is excellent. Our server was an American student from the nearby college which also could be unnerving if you are used to seeing Indian servers, but again, let's concentrate on the food, people!!
I had a delicious chicken korma (my "go to" dish when I'm at a new Indiian place) and my husband had a spicy chicken dish he'd never had before. We both loved our food and it was served with plenty of delicious rice. We ordered garlic naan and it was the best we'd both ever had!
We left before the entertainment began so can't comment on that; however, I will say that the Anglo bartender made excellent very dry martinis..not always the case in "ethnic" restaurants.
We will return soon!