“Are they now better?”
Review of Ken's Steak House

Ken's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Ken's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 205 Restaurants in Framingham
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 9
Description: With Age comes great things..Ken's steak house has been serving Metro-West since 1935. Ken and Florence Hanna had a sound formula for success: Good quality food at reasonable prices, an honest drink and a good cup of coffee. Guests always receive prompt, courteous, attentive service. The prime and choice cuts of beef and the fresh seafood found at Ken's has set a standard of quality that is unparalleled.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

In 1990's we frequented Ken's at least once a month. Last time we were there in June 2012 and were quite disappointed. NY cut steak I have ordered was only about 3/4 inch thick and well-done while I ordered it raw, and this request I repeated to the waiter twice. The French fries were mushy and my wife, who ordered fillet mignon got it sliced (!)The waiter also did not showed any jolly attitude. In the recent reviews below I can read they are now better. So, let's give them, almost after a year, a second chance.

1  Thank Ota R

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We recently began frequenting Ken's after a few less than stellar meals a number of years ago. We were pleasantly surprised. The wait staff was wonderful and attentive. The food was terrific. The dinner salad is still one of my favorites. I have never had a problem with the steak. It is always cooked as ordered. Their mashed potatoes are the best! It is a place I enjoy going again and again. Others must feel the same way. We have noticed a definite increase in customer patronage.

1  Thank Twinkletoes12
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Steak house? NOT. Compared to what? Ruth's Chris? Capital Grille? Even Longhorn and Outback are much better. I ordered Ken's filet. I ordered medium. It was served well-done. I sent it back. They returned the same filet and had cut it down the middle to show a little red in the center. Unbelievable!!! What chutzpah. That was disgusting. I ate a couple of bites and asked for the check leaving 2/3rds of the steak on my plate. It was tasetless. The server was too stupid to ask if something was wrong and what she could do. I paid and left....forever. I wouldn't write this caustic review if they had done the right thing and brolied a new piece of meat the way I had ordered it or adjusted the bill. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. Their claim to fame is salad dressing, not food.

1  Thank TastyBake
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had never been to Ken's before but was curious. There was a long wait at the British pub across the highway so we went here. I wasn't expecting such a nice meal. I thought it would be adequate, but not great. I was pleasantly surprised! There was something very charming about the place--from the stained wood to the waiters uniforms. You could sense the history--like generations before you had dressed up and come here for a night out. It was a refreshing change from all the modern, sleek fusion restaurants we normally go to. I actually prefer the older places sometimes, as long as the food is good. And it was! Our fried calamari was tender and well-seasoned. My chateaubriand, recommended by our friendly, skilled waitress, was tender and delicious. The bread--soft onion rolls and corn bread--is baked daily on the premises, and was so good that we took some home! And of course the salads were very tasty with Ken's famous dressing.

The only off note was at the bar before we were seated at our table. I ordered a French 75, which is a champagne cocktail with gin, but the bartender didn't know what it was. He tried to make one for me using a recipe on his smart phone, but it was almost undrinkable. I would think a place that smacks of the Mad Men era would know how to make classic, even old-fashioned drinks, and the bartender wouldn't need to use his iPhone for the recipe! I followed the disappointing cocktail with a gin and tonic which, happily, was made just right.

I would definitely come back to Ken's. I'm happy that places like this still exist.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I think with the popularity of the salad dressings Ken's has given up on their restaurant. The décor is from the 70's and so are most of the patrons. The food ranged from okay to poor. We had calamari and shrimp cocktails to start and neither was exceptional. The salad was iceberg lettuce with a couple of onion rings and some tomato. I really would not call it a salad. Our entrees were just as mediocre. Nothing fancy - have had better steaks at home on my own grill. The stuffed shrimp were very dry and overcooked. The sides were either large pieces of overcooked carrots, tasteless squash, or a baked potato. It is too bad because a tiny bit of effort and this could become a good restaurant. Not great but good.