“Nice Hotel, Great Spa, Service not up to par”

Renaissance Boston Patriot Place Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Foxboro
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed here this past weekend. I booked a Spa Escape weekend with a club level room. When I checked in the front desk person told me all that was available was a handicap room, that was fine with me. I told her I would be heading to the Spa for the day anyway. I think she was a trainee and she needed to check with the front desk manager if she could give me that room. I went to the SPA, which was excellent. The SPA staff are great, I thought the spa lacked some amenities such as rain showers or hot tubs, etc but overall a good value for the experience.

When I checked out of the SPA I told them that a SPA treatment was included in my package. I was told I needed a voucher from the front desk. I went back to the front desk and the front desk person needed to ask the manager if she could give me the voucher. The manager came out and gave me the voucher. I then asked if my key would give me access to the Club level lounge and the manager checked the computer and said no. I then said "I booked a club level room" -- he checked again and said you are right and gave me access.

I am not sure the staff and the revenue department are in sync, the front desk should be aware of what is included in the room package, I should not had to go back several times and they should not have someone on the front desk without the proper training. After all, I felt a little ripped off because even though I said it was no big deal, the reality is I paid for a club level room and did not get one. I was overlooking the roof of the entrance when I paid to be on the top level of the hotel.

I would go back to the SPA and I hope the front desk recieves some process improvements it would be shame to see the hotel suffer, it is nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank 4MR_Disney
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Boston Patriot Place Hotel

Reviewed April 14, 2010

We arrived here with a bunch of rambunctious Toronto football supporters (not American football -- real football) and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is clean and modern and perhaps a bit sterile, but my greatest impression was how friendly and tolerant the staff were. A less professional hotel staff would probably have attempted to nip our harmless jocularity in the bud simply to make their lives simpler (or at least sternly frown upon the lobby shenanigans in the hopes we'd go away). The staff here were indulgent and playful and made us feel welcome, safe and relaxed. Despite the revelry outside, the rooms are very quiet and very comfortable.

The hotel is, of course, located right beside Gillette Stadium which is great if you are attending a game there. However, if you don't have any call to attend the stadium I don't know what would draw anyone to visit this place. The immediate area around the hotel is a sterile sprawling outdoor shopping mall full of ugly box stores and franchised restaurants. A shame really...

My only real complaint: about the hotel itself: you have to pay for WiFi access. For $200 night, I'd like to be able to check my email for 5 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Godott
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We stayed here for one night while visiting some colleges in the area. It was a great base from which to travel outside of Boston. During football season, the hotel is probably a zoo, but off season you can get an excellent room at a reasonable price. The restaurant in the lobby was OK, but not great.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Erastus10
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Really fun/new hotel. Concierge was very nice - my son had broken his leg and they sent up compl. ice cream - very sweet. Didn't try out the pool but the ice skating and pool looked very nice. Nice breakfast buffet too. Very noisy doors next door though with screaming kids closing doors was a minus though. Tried to ask housekeeping in hallway about directions to pool, but, as it is Marriotts trademark, they were illegal and didn't speak a word of English!
All in all a very nice hotel, super clean/new with fun entertainment at your doorstep!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanja E
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I booked a stadium view room with breakfast for my boyfriend and I for 2/13/10 for Valentines Day. Check in was very fast and friendly, and within minutes of arrival we were in our room....except it was not a stadium view. I called the front desk, and after being on hold for a few minutes I was told that there was a "system error" and there were no stadium view rooms available....I was offered an apology and $30.00 off the room. Since the stadium view room was $20.00 more than a regular room, it was really only a $10.00 compensation...it was just a big disappointment because I had booked the stadium view as part of the Valentine's gift. That being said, the room was spotless and very nice. We ate at the hotel restaurant Twenty8 Food and Spirits for dinner which was excellent for both food and service and also for breakfast which was good as well. All in all we really enjoyed our stay, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Mjeff64, General Manager at Renaissance Boston Patriot Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2010

Good Morning and thank you for your comments relative to your stay at the Patriot Place Renaissance. After looking into your initial reservation you were indeed blocked into a view room, how your room got changed was a mistake on our part and we sincerely apologize. I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable and that the staff you encountered demonstrated our true spirit to serve. The hotel will be contacting you personally to follow through with this situation. Thank you once more for your feedback.

Mark Jeffery
Genaral Manager

Reviewed January 27, 2010

Our family booked a (very pricey) room here to stay after attending a Patriots game at Gillette Stadium. While there are no discounts, or reward points accepted and mandatory valet parking ($50) while staying here on game day, it was extremely convenient. After we booked, we were sent a tag for our car to be able to bypass the stalled parking lots and pull right in front of the hotel to valet park, avoiding much of the traffic getting into the general lots (where you would also pay to park if you were parking there). It is also within walking distance, literally just a minute or two, to the stadium. We were able to park, check in, leave our bags and wait in the rather crowded lobby before game time, and after the game, rather than fight the traffic home, we were steps back to our room.

The room was very large and comfortable for 4 adults, and they brought up a blow up mattress at no extra charge. The decor is the modern "boutique" look that is popular with hotels now; dark woods, lush light colored high thread count linens, drum shades, and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was large and very spa like, with a curved rod, big thick towels and a large vanity. Our biggest concern about the room was that it might be loud in the hotel after a game (especially after a win!), but it was absolutely silent and the view of the empty stadium was fascinating once all the crowds left. My girls enjoyed watching the crew drive thought the lots picking up the garbage.

The service was excellent, even though there was obviously a crowd arriving simultaneously, the baggage and front desk was very efficient, and a requested blow up bed arrived with in minutes. The elevators were a bit overwhelmed, but overall the staff handled the crowds. The indoor pool was large and quiet, but we would have loved a spa to warm our bones! The hotel on game day was much more of an extended family atmosphere, rather than a tailgate atmosphere and that was a pleasant surprise. I’m sure the whole ambience of the place is very different on non game days, when it probably is like any other upscale business hotel.

We dined at breakfast at the buffet in the lobby restaurant; the food was quality good, and the price was what you'd expect at a hotel where you are a captive audience. There is a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance if you'd prefer lighter fare. Also, we were within walking distance (1-5 minute walk) to Patriots Place, with many dining and shopping options for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We were going to a Patriots game, so the location of the hotel is perfect: 1-2 minutes walk and you are in the stadium! The hotel itself is nice: new, looks trendy and has an ok restaurant. We didn't have dinner, but breakfast was ok. You can't go wrong with this hotel and we will definitely stay here again if we're going to a game.

The only serious issue we had was with housekeeping. 2 of the 3 days our room was NOT serviced. The first day I complained to the frontdesk, and someone came up (it was 10:30pm!!) to quickly change the towels and make up the bed. Nothing got cleaned.
The 2nd day, when we got to our room at around 5:30pm: room not cleaned. I complained again nothing happened After half an hour we went down again to the front-desk, complained again and went out for dinner. When we got back the room was cleaned. Forget a room once? Yeah, maybe. Twice? No way!! And the bad thing was that there were no apologies. (We had this happen to us in Vegas once (Mandalay), and as soon as I told the frontdesk our room was not clean (when we checked in) they didn't charge us for the night!! I'm not saying this is what I expect, but an apology is in place).

Another thing you have to keep in mind: parking is free. But NOT on gameday! Then they charge you $50, even if you are already a guest in the hotel. This is documented on their website, but I don't thing this is particularly guest-friendly.

Anyway, This review may come across as negative, but that is not my intention: our stay was great, we enjoyed ourselves, staff was very friendly, breakfast was nice, free wifi in the lobby/restaurant, and the perfect location!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Mjeff64, General Manager at Renaissance Boston Patriot Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2010

Thank you Sir for your comments relative to your recent stay at the Renaissance Patriot Place.
I am pleased that ,overall, you found our staff to be helpful and friendly throughout the hotel. My sincere apologies for our oversight in Housekeeping. We have shared your comments with the department so that this will not re-occur in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for feedback and for choosing Renaissance.

Mark Jeffery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Foxboro
Hilton Garden Inn Foxborough Patriot Place
Holiday Inn Mansfield-Foxboro Area
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#2 of 2 in Mansfield

Been to Renaissance Boston Patriot Place Hotel? Share your experiences!