“Fantastic place for a weekend away”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fitchburg
Howarth House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Fitchburg B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Fantastic place for a weekend away”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My fiance and I needed a place to stay over Valentines Day weekend and we couldn't have asked for a more romantic and elegant place. We stayed in the East room, which had a huge hot tub. The owners were very nice and catered to all our needs from keeping our champagne cool to giving us recommendations for restaurants. Since we were snowed in one evening, we utilized the whole house from the pool table to the downstairs fireplace. I think overall, the best part was breakfast! It was made to order and filling. All in all we had a wonderful time and was very at home at this lovely bed and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Orange County, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Very welcoming bed and breakfast with all of the amenities you could ask for!
I have stayed here on 2 occasions and have enjoyed the comfort, relaxation and hospitality that Howarth House is known for.
This is a small establishment (only 3 rooms) but all are very nice and en-suite. All rooms are located on the second floor via staircase, just an FYI if you have mobility issues.
I stayed in the larger East Room. As B&B's go, this room is huge, with a queen size bed, plus a twin size pull-out in the love-seat. It is large enough for a family with 2 small kids (or in my case, one adult "kid") The bathroom is gigantic and includes a 2 person sized Jacuzzi tub w/shower, making it also suitable as a "honeymoon suite"
The smaller "North" and "South" rooms are pretty much equal in size, but the "North" has a large 2-person shower and fireplace, while the "South" has a tub/shower.
All rooms are equipped with their own air-con units and kettles for making tea. You can also request an air-filtration unit for your room if you have allergies. (more about that later) If I have any complaints about the room it would be the lack of hangers in the closet (just bring some extras if you think you will need hangers) and the absence of personal care products like shampoo, bath soap, conditioner...I think it would be a wonderful touch to have a little basket of small items like this waiting for the guests as this is something I have experienced in most other B&B's of this quality. Granted, you may find some large used bottles of shampoo in the bathroom drawers, but it feels more like you are using the family's leftover stuff rather than your own guest sized "treats." I believe there was a tiny bar of soap provided on the first night's stay, but I was glad I had brought my own bar from home. So be prepared to bring your own shower/bath products.
I found the beds to be very comfortable. The rooms were clean and quiet.
Naturally, breakfast is included and it is delicious! Upon arrival you will receive a menu card to fill out the night before. There are many choices including omelets, french toast and pancakes. Eggs can be cooked to order. You will receive fresh fruit and your choice of coffee, teas, juice, etc. The menu states a daily special, when offered, but on both of my stays there was no specialty on the menu, so I guess I will just have to assume that this is an infrequent offer. Fresh baked pastries are also a feature. During my first stay this was always available, on my second stay it was not offered everyday. (this lack of consistency is one of my reasons for giving this a 4 out of 5 rating) The food, whatever was offered, was always first-rate and plentiful!
In nice weather, breakfast is served outdoors on the lovely covered porch over-looking the gardens. In colder weather you will eat in the pretty enclosed porch. Each room has their own table so you can be as private as you want. On both of my stays I found the other guests to be quiet, unobtrusive, but also friendly. The owners are the same. If you love interacting with your hosts, they are more than happy to oblige as they are very friendly. But if you prefer to just have a quiet time with your immediate family or "group" you will not feel that you have to socialize either. I considered it to be the best of both worlds.
In addition to breakfast, you will find a little snack set-up in the formal dining room. There is a Keurig coffee maker with a number of nice beverage choices, plus a daily offering of some sort of pastry or sweet treat.
In addition to the beautiful (seasonal) pool, there is a very nice billiards room. This is also the designated smoking area on the property, everyplace else inside the home is non-smoking.
Being close to downtown, there are a number of restaurants nearby. If you want to have pizza delivered for dinner then you can easily do that. The dining areas of the home are at your disposal. While the individual rooms do not have mini fridges, there is one located on the patio near the pool that can be used to store your food and drinks, if need be. This also already has a few beverage selections for your use.
This property does have a resident dog and cat. Both animals are well behaved. The cat is rarely seen, the dog is often found in the common areas of the house. This may present a problem for those with allergies or fears. They also advertise that they accept pets. I generally avoid pet-friendly hotels due to cleanliness concerns and my husband's (moderate) dog allergies. As to these issues at Howarth House: I alerted the owners to my husband's allergies and so the air filtration unit was already up and running in our room when we checked in. I did not discern any pet hair in the room, neither was there any noticeable pet smell in the room. Had I not seen the cat, I would not have known it was on the property, as for the resident dog, he seems to be kept downstairs. That only leaves the question of any dogs that guests might bring to the rooms. Had I not already known that they accepted dogs, I would never have guessed they had been there..no smell, no hair, no evidence. As a result, my husband did not experience any problems with allergies. On our second stay, we had breakfast in the enclosed sunroom. While this is a pleasant location, I am sorry to say that there was the distinctive smell of dog in the room. Not over powering, but there none the less.My husband did say that he experienced some sinus problems as a result, but nothing he couldn't handle. It should be noted that he really does like dogs, he is just allergic! Plus I did nothing to discourage the dog from coming into the room as I loved tossing him his stick to fetch!
My recommendation is if you have very severe allergies to pets or just dislike having animals in the house in general then you may want to choose an alternate place to stay (although most hotels in the area are also pet friendly!) Otherwise, you can alert the owners ahead of time to your concerns and they will accomodate you to the best of their ability.
The B&B is located in a lovely residential area. There is a very small section of driveway set aside for guest parking so you do not have to park on the street. Some locals had expressed their concerns to me over this place being located near the college as apparently there are some areas nearby that are considered rundown or unsafe. I can confidently say that this is not the case with Howarth House, the immediate neighborhood seemed very nice and well kept. I did not feel any trepidation about walking in the area. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: East Room for size and luxury bathtub...North Room if you want the romantic fireplace
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travellinjenna
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is a beautiful, clean, comfortable B&B run by the two kindest, friendliest, and most accommodating B&B owners I have met. Our room was impeccable, well-appointed, quiet, and comfortable. The common areas are tastefully decorated and a pleasure to be in. The breakfast is the best cooked-to-order breakfast of any B&B, inn, hotel, or restaurant I have been to. While Fitchburg may not hold many charms, it does not matter - you will not want to leave the Howarth House even when it is time to check out. This is a great place to stay for a couple, a family, or a solo traveler. Thank you Linda and Brian!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I spend the night at the Howarth house for one night, and one just won't do! We surely will be back again soon. Brian and Linda created a serene environment for a great nightly get away, as well as accommodating to any needs, including an excellent breakfast. Between the cozy and comfortable room, a fun room for a game or two of pool and of course we can't forget the relaxing whirl pool, it was overall better than any hotel I've been in and I would highly recommend the Howarth house for anyone looking for a relaxing night away.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Durham, NC
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I are now regulars at the Howarth House when visiting family in the area. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the bathrooms luxurious with heated tile floors, and the breakfasts are decadent. Linda and Brian are gracious hosts as is Tucker the dog. I can't say enough about what a lovely retreat this is in the heart of Fitchburg. Thanks Brian and Linda for another great visit to the Howarth House and I'm sure we'll be back in 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Howarth 2 nights over Thanksgiving.
Linda and Brian are marvelous hosts: friendly and helpful.
Their home is comfortable, attractive, and quiet.

We especially enjoyed the fireplace and exquisite bathroom,
far nicer than at our own home (ouch).

While Howarth is located next to Fitchburg State, we were pleased with how peaceful and secluded the site is.

Plus you get to order exactly what you want for breakfast!

Don and Linda Gervich
Watertown, Massachusetts

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonGervich
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I want to thank Brian and Linda for making our very first stay at a B&B an excellent experience. They were very accommodating. It was like visiting with old friends.
The food was good, the room was great! My family and I can't wait to stay during the warmer months. Tucker is a very sweet dog too! Thank you again for your hospitality and making our choice of places to stay easier. Keep up the good work!!! Hope to visit again very soon.

Room Tip: The east room has the two person jacuzzi tub. Lots of fun for kids.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fitchburg
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
SpringHill Suites Devens Common Center
Courtyard Boston Littleton
Courtyard Boston Littleton
#1 of 1 in Littleton

Been to Howarth House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!