“it was pretty gross”
Review of Inn on the Square

Inn on the Square
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I couldn't believe the stain on the comforter that looked a lot like blood. I also had a hard time getting my mind around why there were SO MANY black and curly hairs on the pillows and in the shower. The sheets are bright white and clean....but how does the cleaning staff miss the hairs? Gross. I can also vouch for the fact that the walls are thin, and I had a hard time relaxing when there were so many children running and yelling in the hallways. I didn't complain to staff, but seriously! Oh, I almost forgot to mention the bug on the floor in the bathroom. Not there when I went to bed, but it was there when I turned the light on in the morning!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
srnhg, Owner at Inn on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2009

Dear Germophobe8,

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at the Inn on the Square in Falmouth. We have always done our best to make sure that our housekeeping staff does a thorough job cleaning each room, but it appears that we failed in this case. This year, we have focused additional resources on guest check-in and housekeeping. We are confident that these areas will be much improved. With regard to the children running in the hallways outside your guest room, we apologize for any disturbance that you experienced. In the future, we would encourage you to contact our front desk to let us know. We make every effort possible to ensure that all of our guests have a comfortable and relaxing stay.

Since you stayed at the property, we have done significant work to improve the hotel, including maintenance and updates to the guest rooms and guest bathrooms, a complete renovation of our pool, and implementation of new housekeeping standard operating procedures. I am sure you will agree that our location is one of the best in Falmouth. We encourage you to give the Inn on the Square another try on your next visit to Cape Cod.

Reviewed February 18, 2009

Stayed here before catching the ferry to Marthas. Nothing fancy, but great rate, friendly staff and clean rooms. Falmouth is a lovely town, lots of good places to eat, and interesting shops

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I read some of the reviews - people have a tendancy to only complain, thinking the world revolves "around them". Well I will tell you, this Hotel made my husband and I both feel, the world did revolve "around us". The staff could not have been nicer, more helpful and respectful to us than at the Inn on the Square. I have been telling all my friends - to go there and have a great week-end. We had a Suite, I believe there are only two in the complex and it was wonderful. The Pool was nice and the breakfast was a pleasant added touch. It is good to be able to say something positive when the world seems to only be complaing on everything. I Highly would say to stay here. We did, an loved it.. Keep Smiling all.

Tom and Joan Norwell, MA

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

My husband & I decided to take advantage of some of the off-season rates on Cape Cod and we booked a jacuzzi suite (Room 103) at the Inn on the Square in Falmouth, MA at the beginning of January 2009. We paid $119/night (inc. tax). The king sized bed was awesome with super huge fluffy down comforters and lots of extra pillows. The jacuzzi was right in the room and we used it every night. The jacuzzi was not a hot tub, per se, but a really nice, huge jet tub with lots of jets and plenty of different seating options We actually watched an afternoon Bruins game from the jacuzzi as well. That was really fun! The hotel itself is a basic hotel with no bar/restaurant. They only offered a continental breakfast which we never ate. The front desk staff were really friendly and super helpful and the indoor pool was heated and clean. Plenty of parking and absolutely no problems checking in or out. Cape Cod in the off-season is really awesome. No waiting for a table, no problems getting around or parking, and plenty of stuff to do. We went to Liam Maguires on Friday night, had dinner & saw some great live acoustic/Irish music. On Saturday night, we saw an amazing sunset from Nobska Lighthouse in Woods Hole then went to Mashpee Commons for some shopping and a fabulous dinner at Siena Italian Bistro. Later that evening, we went back to Falmouth to the Wharf Casino for a nightcap and we were treated to some awesome live acoustic/Country music. On Sunday we went for breakfast at Betsy's Diner and headed out to The Cape Cod Outlets for some more shopping on our way off the cape. Skip the Outlets - a total waste of time, but everything else was just perfect for our little romantic getaway.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BostonFabulous
Reviewed December 23, 2008

Lets start with the room. Our room was on the ground floor and the windows were NOT locked when we arrived. Be sure to lock the windows yourself since most of the rooms are on the ground floor and you could open yourself up to trouble. The bed, TV and bathroom were all fine. Not the most modern facility, but unlike some of the other reviews it is not terrible. We were in a room with a jaccuzzi. When we arrived, the spout was broken off and just stuck back on the unlying plumbing (so no one would notice?). I rigged it in so it would work and we notified the front desk.

Now we can discuss the front desk staff. They clearly gave the impression that they had better things to do than to interact with guests. They were not pleasant or even nice and occationally were not to be found (my expierence during checkout). The pool is fine except for the brown oily residue that constantly drips from the ceiling. That was pretty gross espiecally when it drips on your clothes and in your hair. Otherwise the pool was acceptable. Water was warm and clean.

The continental breakfast featured assorted pastries, english muffins and bagles (which were hard as rocks). The cereal and yogurt were ok. I've had better, but for a free breakfast it was ok. The problem we had was on the 2nd day. We left for the day at 11 and removed the 'do not disturb' sign and were out for the day. When we came back to the room at 5 it had not been cleaned. I went to the front desk and asked if it could be cleaned and they said they would send someone over. The cleaner came over in about 5 mins (which was great) and cleaned the room while we went to the pool. It must have upset him (the cleaner) that he had to come over and clean the room because he spitefully turned off the refrigerator that was in the room (which was filled with beverages and food). Luckly we figured out within a few hours that it was turned off and were able to turn it back on, however, this behaviour was malicious and spiteful and it is actually what posessed me to write this review. I would have to say that the staff at this property was a big turnoff and that the management should fire all of them and try again with a new staff.

The location of the hotel is quite nice and offers a picturesque New England Winter get away.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
srnhg, Owner at Inn on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2009

Dear Newport_Traveler6327,

We are sorry that you were disappointed by your stay at the Inn on the Square. We want all of our guests to have a superior experience at our hotel, and we have made several changes to the hotel that are responsive to your review. Although apparently the spout on your in-room Jacuzzi was not in place during your stay, we have recently done a full inspection of the property and performed renovations on guestrooms and guest bathrooms where necessary. We find that the in-room Jacuzzi suites are quite popular. Our pool area underwent a complete renovation, including fresh tiling, new windows and repairs where necessary. Additionally, we have focused additional resources on guest check-in, employee training, and housekeeping this year and we are confident that these areas will be much improved. We believe that any customer service issues that you experienced are resolved. We hope that you will return to the Inn on the Square in Falmouth and look forward to having you as our guest.

Reviewed October 30, 2008

There are so many negative reviews here about Inn on the Square that I felt compelled to write one of my own. I've stayed here three times in the last few months (for work) and a couple other times in the past few years. It is not a luxury hotel, but it is a perfectly adequate place. The rooms I've been in have been clean. The furnishings are not designer-level, but they are perfectly fine. I haven't interacted much with the staff, but the desk person did move me to another room in the middle of my last stay because of a crying baby in the room next door; the staff member was very accommodating when I inquired about switching rooms. The only downsides that I could possibly complain about are that 1) the alarm clocks are all off by an hour, and it's not obvious how to reset them and 2) while there's an assortment of white, green, and herbal Tazo teas for breakfast, there's no black tea (should people who don't drink coffee not be able to find an alternative source of caffeine to start our days?). All in all, those are relatively minor complaints. In addition to feeling like this hotel is perfectly adequate, I've always been able to get good deals on Priceline, making it a logical choice of hotels in Falmouth.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I visit Falmouth frequently and usually stay at a lovely B an B called "The Palmer House." Since they were full I decided to give the Inn a try. I was greeted by an unfriendly and unsmiling desk clerk. The room was shabby and disapppointing. In the middle of the night the fire alarm went off - in my room only. The night manager assured me it was a false alarm. As soon as I fell back to sleep it went off again. The night manager came to my room, but didn't want to step on my bed to see what was wrong. So I climbed up and undid the alarm. Water had leaked through the ceiling and was short circuiting the alarm. At 2 in the morning I had to pack up all my stuff and move to another room. The next morning the manager told me the alarm had gone off for my safety, and he refused to comp my room. Instead I had to settle for a 20% discount. I would have moved out, but there were no rooms available elsewhere. The second night - hoping for an early night- I fell asleep only to have the phone ring at 10:30 pm. The front desk told me it was "nothing," they were redoing their voice mail system. I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Witsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
#7 of 20 in Falmouth
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Sandwich

Been to Inn on the Square? Share your experiences!