“Poor soundproofing, unresponsive staff, limited facilities”
Review of Inn on the Square

Inn on the Square
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The rooms' soundproofing is terrible. As others have reported, if kids are running up and down the hall, you'll hear them.

I was very unimpressed with the staff responsiveness. The hotel's website advertises "your choice of down or fiberfill pillows". All of our pillows were synthetic, so we called to ask for down/feather pillows. The response was first "the pillows are feather". (No, they're not.) Then it was "I can't help because I'm the only person here". The response was not "since I'm the only one here, can you come down to the desk and pick up the pillows" or "it will be a few minutes" or something similarly helpful. A 73-room property should be able to fulfill such a simple request at 8pm. Instead, we requested that they replace the pillows the next day. I don't know if they did so, but the pillows, new or not, were still synthetic.

And... the hotel's amenties are pretty spartan. There is no fitness center, and the pool has very limited hours.

It's not a terrible hotel, and the location has some charms, but it's far from the quality I had hoped for.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zippy47

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This place was okay. Meh. Very, very thin walls so you are treated to excited kids running up and down the halls all night;they might as well be inside the room with you. Seems other people noted in the reviews that lots of kid sports teams stay here, and there is an indoor pool, so there are lots of hyped up children running around. This is great if you have your own hyped up kids with you, but not so great for a romance weekend. The walls are paper thin, so you hear everything happening anywhere...bring ear plugs and keep your TV volume low. What could be a problem for some is the bathtub in the main building are an odd shape with 2.5 inch high walls. More like soaker tubs which could be hard for anyone with hip problems to climb into. Parking is great and probably worth the price of the hotel room on a busy Cape summer vacation. It is located opposite the Queen's Buyway shopping district so you can amble across Rte 28 and stroll to the center of town easily. It is kitty corner across from a bicycle rental place, so you can rent bikes and jump on the bike path down to Woods Hole very easily. A big plus is Persey's restaurant located off the lobby. Fantastic breakfast and service. Lots of delicious healthy menu choices, and loaded with calories dripping-with-chocolate and maple syrup and whipped cream choices too. Very friendly, prompt efficient waitresses who seem to be very happy working there. Sun-filled room with a cheery fireplace. I have to say whoever took the professional photos of this place should receive an Oscar, because it really is not as luxurious as the photos make it appear.

Room Tip: rooms are huge, but kind of sparse. Rooms in the main building are very noisy, cottages might be a b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank leafpeeper98
Reviewed March 7, 2014

For weeks I had been searching for the perfect place to stay and could not find anything. A coworker of mine recommended this place and I couldn't be any happier! The prices were amazing and the rooms were perfect! I had the best get away I could have asked for. The young lady who checked is in was beyond amazing out second night we switched rooms and when we went back to check in she remembered all of my information and spelling my last name is not the easiest. She was great and very personable and conversational! I will definitely be back and more than once! I highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Quality equivalent to a Hampton Inn but o free breakfast. Breakfast restaurant adjacent. Indoor pool. Couple of vending machines. Convenient location right on Route 28 - a few blocks from Falmouth center. Lots of nearby shopping and eats. Easy parking. Very comfortable. No mention of Inn Keepers or names of owners so either they don't want you to know or they are part of a chain and don't want to mention that. Good value at the hotels dot com last minute rate and off season. It was a Saturday night. No complaints.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My wife and I decided to take a Valentine's Day weekend getaway. After reading reviews, we chose to stay at The Inn on the Square in Falmouth, MA. The place is nice, rooms large, and reasonably clean, but the customer svc. is SEVERELY lacking. after checking in and getting settled we decided to take a swim in their indoor, heated pool. So, we did what we always do. We placed our valuables, including approx. $350 in cash, as well as all of the credit cards that we had with us, into the room safe. First I tested the safe to make sure it worked, which it did. So after swimming, we showered and wanted to head out on the town, as Falmouth is known for its quaint, village-like downtown area, full of restaurants & bars. After getting dressed I went over to open the safe. Now the safe opens by entering a self created password. Well this time it did not work. I tried several times until it flashed that there was a 15 minute hold. Waited 15 mins. tried again, same result...15 minute hold. My wife called front desk man "Harry" Phone busy for 5 minutes straight. So my wife went and spoke to Harry, only to be told that he was too busy checking in the 2-3 new people in the lobby. My wife said "Well we've already paid for our rooms, can we now get a little help?' Totally annoyed he scribbled down some directions, on how to set the safe, which we already did in the 1st place. So I tried his remedy, with no luck. I waited a bit and went back to the desk and asked him again for help opening the safe so we could go to dinner. His answer was that we would have to wait til the morning when the maintenance man came in. Ps I must add that before Harry's shift, there were 2 younger women on the front desk that told me that the night shift guy"Harry" would be able to help us. I even looked up the maker of the safe company's website and called their customer svc. hotline, I left a message and surprisingly a man from the SAFLOK Co. called me back. Unfortunately he told me that the hotel would have to enter their override passcode to open the safe. So after not sleeping well, due to the worry that I may not be able to even get our stuff out, I awoke @ 830 am and immediately went to the front desk. There was a new young girl at the front desk and a maint. man was there as well. I explained my situation, and I asked the girl if there was a note or a report regarding my situation. Her reply was "yes" I wondered when they planned on helping me. So the maintenance guy said he could straighten it out in a bit. At this point I said "No, why don't we fix this problem now." So he begrudgingly came with me to my room, punched in a 4 digit code, and wala>>> it opened!!!. He said" Harry should've called me last night, I would have told him the code" Unreal!!! I then went back to the front desk to cancel my 2nd night's stay, with not much of an apology from the new girl.. I asked her what they do when this happens and she said they never told her anything about this situation. My point is a simple phone call, or how about having the pass code available to the people at the desk so that they can help out next time...I will never stay there again!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tom f
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Second time in three weeks we have stayed there. Clean, quiet and walking distance to town - cannot get better than that. Thanks for the great service and look forward to staying there again. We would recommend the Mexican place in town to eat at - nice little walk there and always nice to walk off some of the food on the way back...

Room Tip: Two new rooms - 241 and 242 are the ones that we stay at.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adrian r
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Came up for a quick weekend getaway. The place is charming, well-appointed, staff friendly and helpful. The attached breakfast place isn't an afterthought - it's one of several family-owned and managed restaurants. Stayed in the "main" building this time - more convenient than the "other" building. Convenient to everything in the off season. Definitely recommend as a great bargain. What would get them the last star? Expand the cable channels and put real towels in the pool area. One reviewer spoke of the "dangerous" step up/down for the tubs - I thought so too until I actually used it - despite appearances, the step in fact has a grip strip on it and works just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room on the non-street side for a quieter stay - not an issue in the off season but likely an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple