“Great effort by the staff!”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Darien, Georgia
“Great effort by the staff!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

My first encounter with the Sea Crest should have been the clue. The reservationist was not familiar with the hotel layout, so I couldn't reserve the room I wanted, I had to reserve on line, so much for the personal touch.
The front desk was efficient and pleasant. The first room they assigned me was a little more than an oversized broom closet ( compared to other places I've stayed ) it was dark with a small window. Turning on the lights revealed a series of spots on the floor reminiscent of blood spatter, that was all I needed to see, back to the front desk I went. I explained my displeasure to the front desk about the room, suit and tie tried to discount by description by telling me it was nail polish and he thought it had been taken care of. Yada, yada. However during the discussion they did multitask and found me a new room that was more in keeping with what one might expect from this long established hotel.
My first stop after a cursory exploration of the well kept hotel and beautiful landscaping was the small but adequate bar. It was obvious the young folks were forgivably new. The person that appeared to be in charge was in the wrong business, people go to bars to enjoy themselves, attitudes should be left at home. I didn't stay after the one drink.
The food I had was upscale and excellent, as was the service
Overall I would say this hotel was enjoyable and I suspect they will have a very successful season given the wonderful
views of the ocean and the sincere effort to please that the majority of employees put forward.

3 Thank 2014trave
Clark_Guinn, Regional Director of Operations at Sea Crest Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking time out of your day to review Sea Crest Beach Hotel on Tripadvisor.com. Thank you for understanding that as we embark on high season, we are in the midst of training new staff. We are presently training in all areas. It’s something that I take very seriously, as do my managers. I’m so glad that the front desk was eventually able to remedy your room situation. I have addressed your reservations concerns with our reservations management, and will follow up immediately regarding your experience at the bar, which I find the most surprising since our bartenders and food and beverage management usually get high marks. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please email me at clarkguinn@seacrestbeachhotel.com with the best number and time to reach you.

Kindest Regards,

Clark Guinn
Regional Director of Operations
Scout Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for mother's day weekend. We splurged and got the ocean view room with balcony. Let me tell you it was worth every penny! The rooms are beautiful, sparkling clean. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledable. The only complaint I have is that the beds could use some updating. They were squeaky and kind of lumpy. We will be back again nonetheless!!

Lynn, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2014

It is like an upgraded holiday inn. for some reason, i expected more and better accommodations. the hotel and rooms definitely need some updating along with better public areas. the staff is very nice and try to be helpful. but also heard of some horror stories of rooms not being made up.The beach is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Pocasset, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times over the years. Recently upgraded the rooms, the restaurant, the pool area and the grounds. Absolutely beautiful. Feels like a Caribbean resort. Only flaw now is the price. I feel it's a bit over priced but really beautiful.

3 Thank Lisa C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Everything was nice here, the grounds and rooms were clean and beautiful. The staff were very friendly from the front desk to the bar. The rooms, food and drinks are a little pricey, but great views and a decent location. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to main st. which has some great restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: We had room 504, great view right above the indoor pool overlooking the outdoor pool into the ocean...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BoSoxFan510
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 22, 2014

This resort reminds me of my childhood on the Jersey shore. Yes, there are some accommodations that look like strip motels from the 1960s as AnCeoltoir mentioned, but that, in my opinion, is part of the charm. I stayed in one of the "strip motel" room, and it had all the amenities I've found at hotels--flat screen TV, Keurig coffee machine, etc.

What makes a great hotel? The rooms? The views? The staff? I mentioned my room did not have an ocean view, but it did not take away from the experience of the stay. If you want a room with an ocean view, then you can request it and pay more for it. It's that simple. I've stayed at other resorts where I didn't have ocean view, and I was not disappointed by my stay.

The ocean view is spectacular and serene. It what you want when you want to get away from it all. It's not a loud, crazy spring break place--it's where you want to go with your special someone or your family to relax and enjoy time together.

The staff is friendly, professional, and passionate about the resort. I was greeted at the front desk by Kasia. I can tell you, she loves her job! She handled my reservation expeditiously, smiling the entire time. It's wonderful to be greet with such warmth and honesty instead of the "practiced" greetings one receives at larger chain hotels. My bellhop, Claudio, was just as friendly and courteous. He not only walked me to my room, he also showed me the amenities of the room and stated if he could do anything to make my stay more comfortable to please reach out to him. Wonderful, world-class service!

I ate at Reds, the hotel's main restaurant. WOW! What a menu! Organic green salads! Great seafood. And, yes, good burgers, pizzas, and sweet potato fries. Great indoor and outdoor bars as well.

I stayed only two nights as this was tied to a business trip; however, I intend to take my wife there again on a quiet getaway. I know to expect great service and food while I'm there.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanview room--you won't be disappointed, and it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank modworldtraveler
metro Boston
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Not all rooms are created equal at the Sea Crest. There are a number of buildings on the property and some look like strip Motels from the 1960s. And while I am sure there are rooms with lovely ocean views, many only over look the massive parking lot.

We stayed in the main building where the lobby and restaurants are located. Our room was on the second floor with no elevator, although in the new parts of the building there is an elevator servicing upper floors.

The rooms are nicely renovated, and are the beds are comfortable. The bathroom was sparkling clean, and at first glance so was the bedroom, but we found a used band-aid under one of the bedside lamps and used tissues could be seen from the bed just under the love seat. I think perhaps the housekeeping staff could use a few more people, or perhaps they only fully staff during high season, as it took 3 phone calls and 2 1/2 hours to get an iron and ironing board delivered to the room.

The staff were all very pleasant (the young man who finally delivered the iron was very apologetic), and the food in the one restaurant that was open ("Red's") was good. We were off season, so not all the food venues were operating.

All that being said, the Sea Crest is right on the beach, and an easy drive or cycle to the Shining Sea bike trail so the location is good for a visit to Cape Cod's attractions.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnCeoltoir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
Bayside Resort Hotel
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!