“Great time!”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
NY
“Great time!”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We recently stayed here for a long weekend and loved it. The beach is great, the staff is helpful and friendly, the restaurant is tasty, and the updated rooms were nice. As a couple, we wished we were able to get one queen size bed instead of two full size but we didnt let it put damper on the whole weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My parents had been coming to the Sea Crest for the past 30 years. One of the only resorts situated right on the beach; the Sea Crest was always their favorite Cape vacation spot.

In the past 8-9 years; the Sea Crest had seriously gone downhill. Shoddy rooms, poor service and dirty public areas (pools, bathrooms, etc.) Our last visit was 4 years ago; and we vowed not to return until it was in better shape.

18 months ago we were overjoyed to learn that it was under new management and was being completely renovated. We booked rooms for this past Labor Day to try it out.

We were happy to report that many of their former issues had been resolved:
The rooms? Beautiful. Freshly painted and renovated; they were clean, bright and airy.
The public areas? Well-maintained, clean and staffed appropriately.
The beach facilities? Perfect! Guests are given wrist bands to mark them as hotel guests to keep non-guests from using the beach chairs/umbrellas, which had been a problem in the past. The beach staff were very kind and accommodating with setting up of beach chairs/umbrellas and providing towels.

What's nice about the Sea Crest is that it is SO family-friendly. Beach, Outdoor pool, indoor pool and an arcade (plus a host of daily "kid's activities") - make the resort comfortable for both parents and kids.

Our only hiccup was with the dining. The staff told us that they are still renovating "Red's Cafe" - their more casual dining area. The night we dined there (Friday night of Labor Day weekend); we waited an hour for our dinner; of which 2 out of the 5 had to be sent back (clams were raw, pasta was dried out and old). They were very apologetic and said that they were dealing with a wedding in the formal dining rooms. I will say that the clam chowder we had as an appetizer was absolutely excellent, but obviously they're still working out some kinks overall. The pool cafe was perfectly fine but extremely expensive (a hot dog, salad, clam chowder and two drinks was approximately $28!) We did not have breakfast or other dinners at the resort for this reason. The pool bar was fun as always and we enjoyed their fun blender drinks (although also a little pricey at $12 each).

Overall, the Sea Crest was just was we remember it: a bright, clean, family-friendly beach-front resort in the heart of the Cape.

We will be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CLARK-K6, General Manager at Sea Crest Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Thank you for your review! Yes, we are back!! I'm so glad that your experience was, for the most part, a positive one. We do still have some kinks to iron out; reviews such as yours help us to target those kinks and focus on them. Stay tuned for more improvements to the Sea Crest Beach Hotel and book your return visit soon!

Kind Regards,

Clark Guinn
South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Being that it was my first trip to Cape Cod I was warned that the hotels and resorts would not be up to the usual level that I was used to from my excessive amount of traveling. With this in mind my expectations going in were rather low. Having now been and experiencing it I must say that some things excelled and others fell miserably short. I was told the rooms and grounds were recently renovated and from the first appearance they looked rather nice. The rooms were updated and nicely done and the building was in very good shape. My biggest complaint is the bathrooms. Being someone who is 6'3" I have to say that there was no room in the bathroom to even turn around. It was a nice touch to have the sink outside of the bathroom, however, in this instance it might have made more sense to incorporate them into one room and allow for a little extra space. The beds were alright, but the pillows were paper thin and made for a tough night's sleep. Due to the pending forecast (which of course wasn't right) we were upgraded to an oceanview room since there were lots of vacancies. It was rather nice and a great touch, but with what they said they regular price of the room was, I'd say would be a major rip-off if anyone had to pay full price. It was fantastic that the hotel is right on the beach and the attentiveness of the staff and help they provided with chairs, umbrella, etc.. was top rate. However, some of the facilities lacked entirely. The bar staff seemed a little clueless regarding anything ordered that wasn't on their "drink menu" and never too friendly. Cape Cod has also always been a more relaxing and peaceful destination and it seems like this hotel is trying to be out of the norm. A little odd that they have very loud music (ie steel drum band or other bands) blasting and playing pool-side. Definitely detracts from the area and the crowd there.

We had a particularly unpleasant situation one night at the bar when apparently their credit card machine went down and no one was told until it was time to settle tabs and we did see many irate customers in the bar who had run up decent size tabs and would not have done so if they were told it was a cash-only night. Then, after the first round was bought, I ordered a 2nd drink and went to close my tab out (which was just the second drink) and the bartender tried to charge me again for the whole first round for our party. After pointing out his mistake, he took one drink off and this continued for a decent argument before he finally charged me (or rather overcharged me) for just one drink which I paid the extra for just to be done with it. No way to run a business, especially at a resort.

1 Thank Landgraf13
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

If I'm going to spend money on a hotel, I don't want to feel like I'm sharing a room with my neighbors.

The walls were so thin we could hear the people next door talking (loud and clear...in regular voices) and even breathing, blowing their noses... ewwwwwwwwww if I wanted to spend the night in a hostel with multiple beds, I would have! Sleep quality? zero! negative !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hallways had tacky carpet with stains and stinky-ness... definitely not renovated? What exactly did you all do to renovate? It looked like it hadn't been touched in centuries, or at least since the early 80s.

The beach is beautiful but the outside eating area is disgusting...from the dirty bar to the horrifically overpriced food and drink options... I was happy to have 1 6 dollar bud lite and leave (yea, only 1 dollar cheaper than at fenway!)

We were kicked out because of the hurricane - I understand the need to close, but the front desk attitude and condescending tone was extremely aggravating. Kicking us out at 10am that morning with no refund for anything was also quite ridiculous.... comping us some of the cost would have been the professional thing to do, considering the day after our night in the hotel was cut short and we were unable to use the only good thing about this hotel, the beach.

This hotel is dated and extremely overpriced. CLEAN the carpets! They smelled.

One other positive was the waitstaff at breakfast. They were so nice and helpful - If only the front desk staff could take a lesson from their colleagues.

Room Tip: dont stay here - rent a house instead.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lovintheworld17
Thank you for your review. I’m so sorry that you left our property feeling that you would have been better served staying elsewhere.

We are a work in progress…it seems that you may have been in an un-renovated room. I’m excited to let you know that we begin Phase III of renovations shortly.

Always, service, and complete guest satisfaction, is our main goal. It appears that we missed our opportunity to impress you while you were here. I’m disappointed that you found the Front Desk staff to be rude and condescending. I don’t want to make excuses for the Front Desk service. The situation with Hurricane Irene was extremely stressful for everyone – both guests and employees. I’m so glad that our wait staff at breakfast were helpful to you. They are a great bunch of service professionals.

I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to service and positive guest experiences. I am confident that should you give us another chance, your experience will be what we strive for: memorable, restful and restorative.

Please call me at 508-564-2551 at your convenience. I would like to apologize to you personally.

Kind Regards,

Clark Guinn
Orange, Connecticut
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We hadn't been back to this resort for several years since it had started to get run down. It has since gone through a major renovation and is now a place we will return to. The pool area is appealing even though you are located right on the beach. The beach is one of the nicest on the Cape and well maintained. The staff couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Rochester
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I give this a 5 for the the hotel and beach. We loved this hotel. It meet all my expectations, and I am very picky. The updates are nice, hotel is lovely, the grounds are pretty, the view from the Ocean is amazing and the beach is the very best! We toured the cape and stayed at other hotels, but this was one of our fav & will come back 110%. If you want a nice beach, stay here. There were a couple of weddings going on & we were in the main bldg in the front & wedding was in the back of bldg & we did not hear them, very happy about that. There are several bldgs & a couple are not attached to the main hotel. You will need to clarify where you want to stay when you book, so be sure to ask b/c we booked the main building and were put in bldg 1, which I think only happened when I changed the orig reserv. I wanted to be in the main hotel, but it would be fine for anyone else & seemed quiet. The hotel was full so thankfully they found us a room in the main bldg & I was extremely happy. Also please note, there is a main reserv dept & then reserv at the front desk at the hotel. When I changed my reserv & then I called back to confirm it, the reserv dept did not know anything about the 2nd reservation. So I called and asked to speak to the front desk & they had my updated reserv. That is the only problem I see that needs to be worked out. The food was very good, but limited & the clam chowder is a must. Restuarants & shopping are about 5-10 min away & is perfectly fine as you will want to drive around to see everything in town anyways so def no issue there. When we go back next summer, this is the IT place. The rates do fluctuate, so when you see a good one, get it before it is gone.

Room Tip: There are several bldgs, so please be sure to ask where you are being placed. If you book a standard...
Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed at the Sea Crest for three nights. We splurged for an Ocean front room only to find a giant mound of seaweed on the beach in front of our room. It seems that for four days after the storm the seaweed from the entire beach was dumped in front of the guest rooms instead of the other side of the beach where the rental booth was located. (no guest rooms there, just an empty restaurant) . It was Thursday before the pile was removed. The smell was unbelievable so sitting by our room in the broken chairs provided was not an option. The room itself looked just like the picture in the website, except the decorative cover on the bed was stained. Why would housekeeping put a dirty cover on the bed? It was promptly put in the closet. The room had an overpowing smell of dog urine. When we complained about the smell the front desk said we do not allow dogs in this hotel. Really there were two dogs in room 116 we saw them and heard them on many occassions. They sent someone up to spray deodorizer in the room and vacuum. Wasn't the room vacuumed by housekeeping before we checked in? We refused the deodorizer because I have allergies and did not want an industrial chemical spray in the room. They did it any way when we went out for dinner. The hotel offered a room change but only had a standard room with a parking lot view- no thanks not for $300+ a night. The bathroom was the most disappointing part of the room- it was so small. The sink was separated from the bathtub and toilet by a door. In the room with the bathtub you could touch the walls just by spreading out your arms. The door almost hit the toilet when you opened it. The sink area was equally as small. Worst part was that the bathroom had mildew on the tiles and dirt in the corners. The back of the door had not been cleaned in some time and the room just felt dirty. Talked to several people on the beach who had worse complaints. There were a lot of unhappy guests during the time we were there, found that many had been given reductions on their bills because of their complaints. I guess that is the answer charge a lot of money and if someone complains give them a reduction. If you don't complain enough there is not adjustment. Also note the restaurant is very expensive but there are many more affordable options off site. The outdoor pool was cloudy and looked green and the hot tub was closed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank J M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#9 of 20 in Falmouth
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
#7 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!