“Great location-horrible everything else”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Great location-horrible everything else”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I chose this hotel for my guests to stay at for our wedding last week. The location is ideal, I grew up in Falmouth, so I was aware of all of the renovations and "improvements" they have done over the last year. The most fitting quote I heard was "it's still the same old sea crest....they dont know how to run as a resort properly". Hurricane Irene was hitting Sunday NIGHT, yet they kicked all of our guests out on Saturday morning (10am) and did nothing to help. They just threw their hands up and said "sorry, but we dont have to do anything", an hour before our rehearsal dinner. So, my father and fiance had to scramble to find other accommodations. There was another wedding scheduled for Saturday and they ended up using our DJ because the staff did nothing to help them either. My welcome bags were never delivered on Thursday and Friday, which was well before the storm (or were delivered to the wrong room because they claim they were delivered) and they keep telling me they "will get back to me" about a refund on the delivery charges ($3/bag). I could be a real pain & ask for them to refund the cost of the bags & contents, but I'm only asking for $54 and they are dragging their feet. They posted a letter around the hotel, telling guests that the bridges would be closed if winds reached 50mph, which was a lie...the bridges would've closed (they didn't) over 70mph...which caused our friends to begin panicking and thinking they could be in danger on Saturday, which was far from the truth. Luckily, we had a great day, the rain held off and everything went smoothly despite the weather...except for our choice of a poorly run resort. After everything, they were rude (calling my guests liars- a worker told 4 different couples they would comp their rooms for Friday night & then back tracked and said they could not do that and "no one ever told them that" )condescending and unhelpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank disgruntled534
CLARK-K6, General Manager at Sea Crest Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I am sorry, first off, that the hurricane and our need to prepare for the incumbent storm affected you and your guests. Paramount in our thoughts and actions that weekend was the safety of our guests, and equally important, the safety of our line staff and management.

Early in the day, I attended a meeting with the Town of Falmouth and the Emergency Preparedness Team. The decision to close the hotel was not one that was made lightly. We knew that it would not likely be a popular decision, but again, neither would it be wise to remain open should the storm have hit Falmouth with its full potential. As it was, we were without power from early Sunday morning until Monday afternoon. It was a sound and reasonable decision to close the hotel.

It was my understanding that the Front Desk assisted in locating hotels nearby for your guests. I cannot say why your gift bags were 1) not delivered and 2) mis-delivered. I can’t make excuses. I will, however, apologize and I will refund your delivery fee. Please allow me a day or two to make that happen.

I appreciate your understanding regarding the safety issue and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Clark Guinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2011

First checking in was a nightmare. Somehow all the reservations were lost (something about changing over their computer system). I understand their was a "hurricane" coming on Sunday, however, they evacuated the entire hotel on Saturday morning. The staff that was supposed to hand out gifts to the guests of the wedding did not, even though the bride was charge $3.00 a bag. Now the management says they definitely passed them all out. Funny, I didn't get one and another guest got a gift from a whole different wedding. So where did the gifts go? I have yet to get my money back from 'evactuation' and I keep being told that someone will call me back. Do not stay here and do not trust the staff with anything that is supposed to be passed out.

4 Thank Jennifer K
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We were supposed to stay there from Aug 29th-31st but due to the hurricane we stayed Aug 30-31. We called to see if they were open and they said they were up and running after the storm. We only stayed for 1 night and had 3 different rooms in a 24 hour period due to septic issues. In the 2nd room, maintenance actually removed the toilet and then left. Not good with 3 little ones. Our last room was on the top floor. Thank goodness, because overnight, 5 rooms on the 1st floor flooded! The place stunk.

They should not have opened as they had to have known they had septic isues. Unfortunately, our kids swam in the ocean there. It had a funky smell but did not put 2 + 2 together until later.

Customer service was horrible as well.

2 Thank lovesthecape95
Plainville, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We have been visiting the Seacrest for several years. Our first amazing experience here was in August of 2008 when we got married on the Seacrest Beach! Our wedding planner ,Jen Palazzolo, was quite amazing. Since then , Jen has left but we know many other staff that work here and are wonderful. Laura is the Function Manager and she has always been courteous and professional . She remembers us every time we visit , since our wedding ! We come a few times a summer and one time we always stay is over the Labor Day Holiday Weekend! (We are ready to come back again shortly)
We met Clark Guinn , the new owner in late August 2011 and what a WONDERFUL , SMART BUSINESSMAN he is. He is the general manager and a classy guy! He has traveled and worked at many top hotels in the past and it shows by his sense of style and courteous ways to his guests. He offered to treat us to a nice dinner with friends ,which was very unexpected! (Just because). He also was working with a Bride and her family, that had been affected by the recent weekend of hurricane Irene! He worked to make sure everyone was happy and even helped to save them money after such an ordeal of bad weather and change of plans for them. Just an all around fantastic person so thought I should mention that the NEW Seacrest is all that and more...we will continue to come in ...and there is a buy 2 nights, get 3rd free on Labor Day , so its a perfect time to visit. We will look for you this weekend Clark! So, look for us- Lisa and Michael G. (Plainville , MA)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have to say... We stayed here many years ago back when the hotel was considered one of the nicer ones in falmouth. Esp. given its' location. We will be staying there this upcoming weekend for 3 days starting Sat. night.
My mother has already called the hotel a few times regarding our reservation and parking considering we are a family coming from TWO different states we will have TWO cars. Upon one of her calls the person who answered said that reservations was closed for the day (it was 4:50pm mind you) and was told she would need to send an e-mail about her inquiry. My mother was very put off by this as the person who answered the phone was less then nice and really didn't want to take any questions from my mother. IF this is a hotel why would your reservations ever close? Seems maybe some of the people who work there need an attitude check...
Given the fact that we already have plans to come up we'll give it a try. Sadly i'm not expecting much esp given the reviews and the fact that we're staying in the main building which i see has gotten some bad ratings. For the price you'd think this was a 5 star hotel. We've stayed in many a hotels all over the country and not once before we've even arrived have we called and had the staff be rude or less then helpful.

Will write a full review apon arriving back home Tuesday night for sure. Am hoping it's better then we're exepcting.

Room Tip: The people answering the phones represent the hotel to the potential client and should always at lea...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jlaporte0909
Thank you for taking the time to pre-review us before your arrival. I apologize that you were concerned about your stay in advance of arrival, and am hopeful that your stay was without incident and that our staff was accommodating and welcoming to you.

New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here with our 3 kids in late August and we had a great visit. Our family has know about the Sea Crest for years but it had been in desperate need of a make over-- well they finally did it and it came out great! Just about everything is new and they did a great job making it over.

The beach is terrific, especially for kids because it is calm and shallow. The water is clean and clear...by August when we were there it was even warm, which isn't easy to get in Cape Cod! Behind the beach and hotel is a salt tidal river which is the perfect spot for kids to find all kinds of sea critters-- so bring a net. Our boys loved wondering in there and catching the crabs.

The restaurant and bar is great too...we ordered a pasta dish (I forget the name but it's the only one on the menu) and it was awesome.

So glad they did the renovations and we'll definitely be going back!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

On arrival we were slightly annoyed by a 4pm check in and large queue, and then were discouraged by how busy the hotel and facilities seemed to be. Once we settled in we found that the beach system worked well providing you were there in the morning. The hotel did seem rather soulless.... Although I can not complain about any staff, I didn't find them particularly inviting either. The rooms have extraordinarily thin walls too.

This hotel was not near any town, and although adequate, the menu choices were extremely limited. This seems to be a missed market for the hotel!

If you fancy a couple of beach days you could do a lot worse than this, but don't expect anything amazing!

1 Thank Rachel W
I’m so glad you liked the beach, but saddened to learn that you found the hotel to be “soulless” and the staff to be less than inviting. We had such a great season, with wonderful encounters among staff and guests, so the fact that we missed our opportunity with you stings a bit.

If your travels bring you back to Cape Cod, I hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate to you that we do care, and we are committed to great, memorable experiences for all.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#8 of 20 in Falmouth
Bayside Resort Hotel
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!