“First Trip Back Since the Rennovations - Solid Improvement, Great Service”

Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I had reviewed the Seacrest last year, and gave it favorable marks largely due to location (fantastic beach), convienience (access to the beach without parking/driving), and the fact that it is a uniquely Cape Cod resort. I stand by all of this, but now with the improvements to the hotel complete, I felt compelled to follow up with a few new notes.

Although I travel frequently, and have been to the Seacrest a number of times over the last 10+ years, the most notable improvement is the overall service we received from the entire staff. I can't always say in the past that the attention to the customer service was this good, but it would be notable for almost any hotel to do as well as the Seacrest staff did during our recent visit. The bartenders and waitstaff get extremely high marks, but everyone else was certainly attentive and warm without being intrusive. The weekend we visited was very busy, and beach chairs were at a premium. It appeared that management went to a local store and bought more just to accomodate guests at some point during the day. Wow. They could have just apologized for running out, but they actively did something about it...that really struck me. The rennovations, especially the pool area, outdoor bar, and restaraunt, came out quite well.

Of course, there is always room for improvement (the rough surface in the outdoor pool steps, the pool gates that close a bit loudly, some interior hallways in the main building that look untouched) that other reviews touched on - and management responded to - so I won't revisit those topics here. I would add that we likely would have eaten at Red's more if the evening menu was a bit more expansive...but again, it is a huge improvement over the last few years. Also, having servers taking drink orders from the beach would have been a big plus...this was notably missing from the days of the "old" Seacrest.

At the end of the day, the beach trumps all. There are few places on the Cape where you can find a beach as nice as Old Silver, with the ammenities of a place like the Seacrest to enhance a great vacation spot. I already know we'll be back.

1  Thank TrevorMorris
CLARK-K6, General Manager at Sea Crest Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

I agree – the beach trumps all. It is one of the absolute best on the Cape. I have to say, however, that what makes me most proud are your comments about our staff and service. We are in the hospitality business…paramount at all times for my team is providing hospitality – warm, caring, non intrusive service. I’m so glad we made the grade.

I agree that there are always improvements to be made. We are compiling a list of areas of the Hotel that need attention, and will continue on our quest to provide not only exemplary, memorable service, but a hotel where every area has been improved upon.

I look forward to seeing your review again after your next stay, and to meeting you in person.

My Best,

Clark Guinn

There are newer reviews for Sea Crest Beach Hotel

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Best Hotel on Cape Cod - Period! Caribbean-like sandy private beach faces west back toward Southeastern MA so you have incredible Torrey Pines-like Pacific sunsets over the Atlantic. I got married here years ago in their main dining room so perhaps I am a bit impartial. Wearing an objective hat though I attended two weddings this June; one at Wequassett and one at Popponesset so they are fresh in my mind and I think this is much better, and much more accessible for guests (no windy Cape roads). This resort always had the potential to be a Chatham Bars Inn (without the extra hour or two drive) waiting to happen. Well it looks like it finally happened! Amazing what millions of dollars and what must be a commitment from top management down to each server, desk person and bellman can do. I live in Falmouth and stayed here with my relatives this week who were visiting my family. I stayed here in years past and have held some of my company’s holiday parties here. They always did a nice job and the views and beach were great then too but it was always a lower cost version of what it could be, it was sort of the little engine that could beachfront hotel. They always needed improvements, some serious ones too which would put you on the bubble of choosing another location each time you made a reservation. The only slight challenge is now they are asking for the money (though it’s still pretty reasonable) that they could have asked for years ago if the prior group had invested back into it. Pool improvements now open it up to the ocean significantly and courtyard feature look great. Jet skis available in addition to the usual kayaks, etc. are an unexpected plus. I wouldn’t be surprised if prices go up next year, but it still may be well worth it. Especially since further improvements seem likely.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed at the Sea Crest for two weeks in July and were very impressed.
The location is wonderful. So close to the Bourne Bridge so you avoid a lot of traffic. It is 10 minutes from downtown Falmouth where there are cute shops and restaurants, grocery and convenience stores. There are plenty of other restaurants and ice cream shops within a few minutes drive.
The outside of the hotel looks nice. The lobby area and grounds are beautiful. The actual room buildings are old school beach motel looking but the rooms we stayed in are lovely. We checked in early and were provided bracelets for the beach. We had two rooms and one was not ready until 4. We were told they would call but they did not so we just checked in at the desk at 4 and hung out at the beach until then.
We were in building #8. We had requested a pack and play for our baby and it was not in the room when we arrived. They brought it over within 10 minutes but he didn’t know how to set it up so his manager came to set it up very quickly. The room was beautiful. The renovations made the room look brand new. It is very tastefully decorated and spacious. There was a pull out couch and the king bed which was very comfortable. The mini fridge was great to keep breakfast items and doggy bags. The bathroom was very nice and large. Our only complaints about the room are they did not have pack and play fitted sheets, there is no safe, and no swing or chain lock on the door. That means if you don’t turn the deadbolt (which opens when you turn the handle) anyone with a key can get in. It isn’t that hard to get a key. I asked for one for my parent’s room and it was given to me, no questions asked, no id presented. No chain or swing lock also means your child can easily get out. It is as simple as pulling down the lever. It is dangerous if you are there alone with your child and you are in the bathroom. Not having a pack and play specific fitted sheet is also dangerous and this is the only hotel I have ever been to without the specific fitting sheets. They used a double (or queen or king) sized bed sheet and just folded it on there. A smaller baby could get tangled up in there and I would be VERY nervous about that. Luckily our child is old enough that the only thing he did was pull it off everyday and throw it on the floor. Word to the management-buy fitted pack and play sheets. Room service was pretty good. I asked them to come between certain hours every day and they did all but one day. They did not change the sheets which was kind of annoying as we had a sandy kid jumping around in the bed some days.
The pools were good. The outdoor pool is surrounded by glass (for the wind maybe?) and was warm each day. The bottom and side of the pool is hard pebbles so that is really uncomfortable but swimming around is fine. The indoor pool building shows it age. It seems to need to be renovated. The pool surrounding is falling apart a little. But it was also warm and it was wonderful that the pools were open until 10 pm. There are two hot tubs for adults only.
The beach was great. The employees there brought you a chair and umbrella and set it up for you by request. The only day we did not get them was when a huge conference was there and they took them all. I wasn’t sure if the conference people were staying at the hotel or just got the use of the beach for the conference day. If they were not overnight guests, giving them all of the umbrellas and chairs was wrong. The water was warm and on calm days, you could see all the way down to your feet. It was amazing for a MA beach to me. There was a ton of seaweed the first few days we were there but it went away eventually. It was also not that crowded whereas the public section next door was packed. There are boats, jet skis and the like available to rent right on the beach too.
The staff was very nice (with the exception of one awful bartender). They were very willing to accommodate requests and it felt very first class to have the doors opened for you all of the time.
The food was quite good. The restaurant never seemed too crowded and had a good, varied menu. Red’s takeout next to it was a smaller menu but the food was excellent. Great burgers. It was pricey though and I wish it was open later in the evening. Be prepared to spend a lot on food and drinks if you are using the hotel restaurants. The drinks at the bar were good but also very expensive. $11 or $12 for daiquiris. The breakfast buffet was great. A chef station with omelets and waffles and the regular items-cereal, eggs, sausage, bacon, oatmeal bar, breads, fruit, etc. There is also a small café where you can pick up small items like muffins and croissants if you don’t want a large meal. You can charge all of this to your room which is helpful.
They have a few activities going on which is nice for families. There were games on the beach during the day and on the weekend, outdoor movies and free popcorn which we loved.
We were very pleasantly surprised at the Sea Crest. It was a great hotel, clean, modern, friendly staff, good food and great beach.

Room Tip: The fireplace rooms are lovely and large. The ones at the far end have a slight view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank daisy47
Reviewed August 6, 2011

we arrived tired & road weary, were pleasantly greeted at the front entrance with smiling door openers, and bellman the hospitality continued at the front desk, at Reds by the pool and beach area everywhere we went someone wanted to know if we needed anything they cant do enough for you the newly renovated bar and restaurant is terrific and the food was great. all in all a definite upgrade in amenities and staff attitude we will definitely be back

Room Tip: we always get a room in bldg #7 which is standard but the matresses are very comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2011

the rooms are too small if you want bring your family, don't do it ,no room to move around, need more space and closet , the food and drinks are so expensive,the whiirpool inside and out are dirty,before get in check well ,air condition work if you are very close to the air condition but that is it, so hot to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I spent two nights here and I was aware of the new renovations that had taken place. My friend had stayed at the hotel before the renovations and she said it had been very dated and smelled musty and just wasn't a great stay. However, now with the redone rooms, it definitely stand up to any beach resort in New England. The rooms look great with nice carpeting and also a tiled area for your sandy shoes. The bathrooms were roomy and clean. We had an "Ocean Front Room" so we actually had a balcony that we could sit on. It was a great place to feel the breeze and hear the waves hit the shore. My friend's room was near the indoor pool so it was a bit noisier especially on Saturday night. So I would pay extra for the ocean front room.

We had dinner in the hotel one night. It was good and you did get a lot. Too much for us so we took it back to the room and used the frig. However, a little microwave would have been awesome so we could have actually eaten our leftovers for lunch the next day. Oh well, cold pizza isn't too bad. The food was priced typically for resort food, a bit pricey. But you have to expect that going in. The breakfast buffet was good too. I liked the fact that you could get a slightly cheaper buffet by just doing continental or pay the $20ish for the full hot buffet with cooked to order omelets.

Would return for a nice beach spot, especially since you don't have to drive too far out onto the cape, therefore avoiding most of the insane traffic. The Bay is nice if you aren't into the huge waves of the ocean, which is totally me. The beach was nice soft sand which they must truck in because when you walk down the beach, it's very rocky.

Things they need: A small microwave since they provide a frig.
More soda machines - one in every building would be nice
Would have liked to be able to turn off the light on the balcony
(I wanted to have the door open when I slept but the light
drove me nuts)

Room Tip: Pick Ocean Front if you can afford it. And since they still have one or two buildings yet unrenova...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Our family of five, including three young children, had a wonderful time at Sea Crest. We had a suite with a kitchenette which allowed us to do small meals in our room. We also had access to two great restaurants and a pool side cafe that were happy to deal with special requests. Our children were able to play in the salt water pool in the mornings and then spend the afternoon in the waves at the beach. In the late afternoon, the hotel hosts a 'cupcake happy-hour' for the little ones. Evenings were spent on our balcony with drinks before dinner and then at nightfall, the hotel provided outdoor movies for the children - along with popcorn. We were less than ten minutes from Falmouth which has loads of cute shops and restaurants. There are also kayaks, sailboats and waverunners available by the hour. The hotel is newly renovated and nicely done. Modern, but not fussy. The overall feel is very family friendly while maintaining an upscale level of service. Well done!

1  Thank majaclmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Blue Water on the Ocean
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Inn on the Square
Inn on the Square
#8 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to Sea Crest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!