“A motel, it's like a diner and this one is fine”
Review of Mariner Motel

Mariner Motel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed November 3, 2011

A motel, like a diner, is a trip back to the 1960's. That's the impression we had when we first went the bathroom of this motel. Walls covered with turquoise tiles and the sink that goes with it. But everything was clean and the shower water pressure was strong enough.

Nothing especially vintage about the main room thought. True, it shows signs of tiredness, especially the rug. But it was big enough, with two double beds, a mini fridge, a flat screen TV and a fast Wi-Fi connection (no need to ask for password at the office). It was very quiet too, so we slept very well.

As many other motels, this one is family owned and we had a warm welcome when we arrived. The motel is a walking distance to city centre and the price we paid was reasonable for what we got ($89).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night here and that was plenty. The rooms are very tired and old fashioned, and and blankets didn't seem like they'd been washed for a while so it wasn't a very good nights sleep. The bathroom is very dated, with tiny towels, manky products and generally very poor fittings. I thought for $150 a night you'd at least get a clean room.

The lady at the front desk was very helpful though.

The rooms were advertised as offering free wifi, but neither my husband nor I could make it work at all.

The carpets seemed old and sticky too, and there was no coffee facilities (just a flask in reception!!), no safe and the door/window didn't seem very secure.

Falmouth is a nice little place though, but it is all a bit twee, so it depends if you like that sort of thing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is a homey family owned and run motel. The rooms are clean. They have wi-fi and flat screen TVs and the most wonderful towels. Karen and Bob are the best. I think Karen knows where everything is in Falmouth. Stop in the lobby in the morning for coffee. Everyone that works at the Mariner are pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank booklady615
Reviewed October 4, 2011

It's a motel. The kind of place you stay overnight before catching the ferry to or from the islands. It's not a place you stay for days on end as a home base. If you just want a clean room to stay in I think my experience here indicates that this motel will fit the bill. It's right on main street, close to ferry, and even has some extras like heated pool and flat screen tv. The room smelled clean ( a little like bleach) but it looked like your average motel in decor. The bathroom was surprisingly clean. I paid 79 bucks for the night. I feel like that was reasonable. You can easily find worse for more money in this area.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank onacona
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a great place to stay. Very clean and roomy. Karen and John are great hosts and very helpful regarding places to eat and visit during our stay. Ww would definately stay again. Susan and Chris, Australia

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CMF751965
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed at this motel during Hurricane Irene--at one point, the power went out for a few hours. The couple that own this clean and comfortable lodging, John and Karen, made sure everyone was safe and provided candles for all guests. These friendly people are topnotch and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emmasue1
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend & his parents for a wedding we were attending. We stayed for 3 nights, Friday - Sunday (Aug. 26th - Aug. 29th), during the Irene hurricane. I think the best thing about the hotel was its location, we ended up walking everywhere in town (I recommend Betsy’s Diner). The hotel itself is quite nice. The rooms were clean & taken care of everyday. I unfortunately didn't have the chance to meet/chat with the owners but I heard they were extremely nice. My only complaint would be the bathroom. It wasn't ventilated very well & the shower/shower curtain combo wasn't very efficient. The shower is one of those ‘shower only’ deals with the bottom being flush with the floor & the basin for water only a couple inches up from the floor. The shower curtain wasn’t weighted, tied or anything of the sort so when you took a shower, the curtain would blow inward & stick to you....made it kind of difficult to shower. However, I have no major complaints whatsoever. Overall, a wonderful stay! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Wonderful Location!!