My siblings and I reserved three rooms at the CapeWind Resort the night before the Cape Cod Marathon. We chose this place based on its #1 ranking on tripadvisor.com. I really wanted to like this place, as it has a great location in Falmouth, beautifully manicured grounds, and nice, albeit quaint, rooms.
Unfortunately, I headed to my room to go to sleep after midnight, pulled back the sheets, and there was a large bug running between the covers. I'm not an entomologist, but I'm pretty sure it was a silver fish. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so having large bugs running in a strange bed does not help me sleep well. I had to run in a relay marathon the next morning, so I decided not to bother waking the front desk and I slept in my truck.
After the race the next morning, I went to the front office to return my key and told them about finding a silver fish in the bed. The woman at the front desk said something to the effect of, "Oh, I'm sorry, that happens occasionally. I wish you had woken us up, we could have found you a different room." Hmmm. This is where I struggle with this review, because she was incredibly nice and didn't challenge my report on finding a bug in my bed. While she said their policy was to not offer any refunds, she did offer me a gift certificate for a return visit. On the other hand, I travel frequently for business and pleasure, and have spent well over a year of my life in everything from 1-star to 4-star rooms from Central America to Japan, and this was the first time I've ever found a bug in my bed.
I should mention that my siblings had no problems with their rooms, so maybe this does just happen occasionally. That said, I think I'll try my luck at a different hotel next time, even if I have a gift certificate to this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CapeWind is a unique, secluded waterfront haven on five lush acres overlooking a sparkling bay leading to the ocean. CapeWind offers the personality and atmosphere much like a country inn. Whether you are enjoying the comfortable accommodations of your room or venturing out your front door onto our spacious lawns, our staff is always close by to lend a hand or simply a wave and a warm smile. Once you enter our long, private drive you'll be transported into an atmosphere of peace and beauty. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Capewind Waterfront Hotel Falmouth
- Capewind Waterfront Falmouth
- CapeWind Waterfront Resort Falmouth, MA - Cape Cod