“Large bug in my bed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of CapeWind Waterfront Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
CapeWind Waterfront Resort
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Falmouth
Boston, Massachusetts
“Large bug in my bed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

My siblings and I reserved three rooms at the CapeWind Resort the night before the Cape Cod Marathon. We chose this place based on its #1 ranking on tripadvisor.com. I really wanted to like this place, as it has a great location in Falmouth, beautifully manicured grounds, and nice, albeit quaint, rooms.

Unfortunately, I headed to my room to go to sleep after midnight, pulled back the sheets, and there was a large bug running between the covers. I'm not an entomologist, but I'm pretty sure it was a silver fish. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so having large bugs running in a strange bed does not help me sleep well. I had to run in a relay marathon the next morning, so I decided not to bother waking the front desk and I slept in my truck.

After the race the next morning, I went to the front office to return my key and told them about finding a silver fish in the bed. The woman at the front desk said something to the effect of, "Oh, I'm sorry, that happens occasionally. I wish you had woken us up, we could have found you a different room." Hmmm. This is where I struggle with this review, because she was incredibly nice and didn't challenge my report on finding a bug in my bed. While she said their policy was to not offer any refunds, she did offer me a gift certificate for a return visit. On the other hand, I travel frequently for business and pleasure, and have spent well over a year of my life in everything from 1-star to 4-star rooms from Central America to Japan, and this was the first time I've ever found a bug in my bed.

I should mention that my siblings had no problems with their rooms, so maybe this does just happen occasionally. That said, I think I'll try my luck at a different hotel next time, even if I have a gift certificate to this one.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank nrichard2000
CapeWind1, General Manager at CapeWind Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
We always appreciate the feedback we get from our customers and take all of our reviews seriously. We respect our customers' opinions and appreciate honest and accurate feedback so that we may continuously strive to improve the quality of the Cape Wind experience for our future guests.

Unfortunately, this customer misquoted me. During check-out, when I was informed that there had been a problem with the guest’s room, I did not say, "this happens occasionally." I apologized and asked the customer why he did not contact our front desk. In fact, I reminded him that we have 24-hour, on-site, on-call personnel available everyday.

It is both our pleasure and responsibility at Cape Wind to provide our guests the best possible experience. Our customers should expect nothing less. However, if our customers have a concern, our expectation is that our guests communicate and allow us the opportunity to rectify the situation. In this case, the guest afforded no such opportunity.

Why a paying guest would choose to sleep in his car rather than notify our staff that there is a problem is just plain odd. Instead, the customer waited until the next day to inform me that he had a concern. In addition, he misquoted me and wrote a negative review of our property after learning that he would not receive a refund.

The Cape Wind is a beautiful, waterfront property situated on almost six acres of landscaped grounds. We are routinely complimented on our courteous customer service and on the cleanliness of our rooms. This guest's experience in no way represents the general cleanliness of our rooms and property. His reaction to the situation was unreasonable, and his review an inaccurate characterization of our property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
East Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is a great hotel to stay. We had some of our workers stay here while we were working in the area and they enjoyed their stay very much. I would recommend this hote to anyone who needs a hotel at the cape.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank BambiLima
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

It has been just over 2 years now since our wedding group stayed at the Cape Wind for the weekend, and I've been meaning to write a review, but it always seemed to slip my mind. We were able to book every room in the complex (except one that was a seasonal residence), which really set the stage for what became a truly wonderful weekend for everyone involved. The day before the wedding we were able to take advantage of the great open space the Capewind has to offer by setting up an impromptu wiffle-ball game. The horseshoe shaped layout of the complex with the green space in the middle really lends itself to a large group. Our guests all loved being able to sit out on the picnic tables and chaise lounges and interact with family and old friends, and mingle and meet new friends. After our daytime reception the next day, we all headed back to the Capewind to enjoy the open air and open space and enjoy the rest of the daylight and early evening hours. Rachel, the manager, was extremely gracious, accommodating and patient. We couldn't have asked anything more from her. The Capewind is a truly unique hotel for the area. No other hotel/ motel that we found (and we checked out MANY) could offer nearly the amount of public space and privacy. And the Capewind is not just for large groups. Whenever my parents come up from NY to visit my in-laws (for other weddings, Road Race weekend, etc.) they ALWAYS choose the CapeWind. My Mom loves to swim in the pool or sit out on her chaise on the lawn and read her books. My one and only complaint has to do with their refund policy. My parents were planning a trip up this October for a wedding and unfortunately had to cancel due to a medical issue with my father. They will receive a voucher for the amount of their deposit, but it must be used by the end of the calendar year (with less than 3 months remaining). They will try to find someone who can use it, but chances are that it will go to waste. We just wish that the policy could have been a bit more flexible considering their regular patronage and my father's medical conidtion. But overall, we consider ourselves lucky to have found this place, and our family will undoubtedly be frequenting it for years to come.

• Stayed September 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LBBri
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

We picked this location as a three day stay at the start of our 2 week tour of New England and have to say it was the find of the holiday. - We were made very welcome from the outset and were given a great deal of help in organising places to visit given the limited amount of time we had in the area. - The rooms were large and comfortable with 2 queen size beds, the facilities were clean with a small fridge and microwave although we only used the fridge to keep the beer and wine cold! - The location was ideal for visiting the complete length of the cape and also catching boats to visit Marthas Vineyard and Islands from Yarmouth approx two miles away. The best part for us was the homely feel to the place and the only criticism if I have to find one for the review is that you have to drive into Falmouth to eat although there are lots of places / varieties available to suit every pocket. - Seafood is the best in this area so if you like Lobster then you are in the right place!.. We went late in the season so the premises were a lot quieter than in peak when I would imagine it would attract a lot of people with children so bear this in mind when selecting the time to go.

2 Thank universal1955
redhill, surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

We cannot praise Cape Wind highly enough. The resort itself is lovely (in a gorgeous Dirty Dancing way) . The rooms are amazingly clean and the bed so comfortable we didn't want to get up! Our kitchenette was stocked with sparkly clean crockery and the hob/fridge were as good as new.
Although we didn't try the pool it looked very inviting and the pond the resort is set around is beautiful. The resort has two kayaks which we took out one afternoon and saw some amazing wildlife. (You can also take out the paddle boats)
To add to all of this, the resort has an amazing general manager. On checking in we were greeted with someone who's genuine helpful nature is infectious. Rachael is a true gem. Her sense of humour, knowledge about the Cape and overall lovliness really did enhance our stay here. I would definitely recommend this resort, and look forward to going back.

2 Thank lillibut
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed last year for one night , called this year and stayed for two nights with friends we all love this place and will definately be back again. The Cape Wind is perfectly located in Falmouth,close enough to everything yet far enough to be a serine getaway. The price is fair and the amenities are plentiful. The pool is awesome, clean and comfortable as are the rooms. The staff, especially Rachel is as helpful as anyone could ask for and knowlegeable about local happenings and dining locations. We could not have been happier with our stay ! THANK YOU CAPE WIND!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank 41FORD
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Super clean, friendly people, very willing to point out places to sightsee and eat. Overall, nice place.

2 Thank quester666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Inn on the Square
#6 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
#6 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to CapeWind Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!