“Great Meal - Long Wait”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just ate here with some friends (group of 4) on Sept 22nd. We arrived about 8:15 pm and we were told it was a 1.5 to 2 hour wait. We went to another restaurant and had drinks and apps before hand. We ended up going back around 9:30 and waited another 15 minutes to be seated. The food and the service was very good besides the wait. The waiter was a bit stale and dry - no personality- he seemed annoyed that we weren't ordering any apps and deserts. We would have had apps and drinks at the glass onion but there was no place to do so. Overall a good place to eat- a bar area or lounge would help your guests spend their money in your restaurant and not at your competition.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This restaurant deserves to be No.1 in Falmouth on Tripadvisor.
Very nice meal, with an interesting and varied menu, good service.
Probably more expensive than other restaurants in the area, but worth it.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Cape is rich in good restaurants that make your shore vacation enjoyable, but for that one special night out, The Glass Onion is your best choice. The restaurant is located in Falmouth which may be farther down the Cape than you like, but it is worth the drive. We stayed in Yarmouth and it was a good 35 minutes to get there. The decor is upscale (I don't recommend wearing shorts, but you don't need to get too dressed up unless you just want to). The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly (our waitress, Rachel was great). She made great recommendations and suggested wine selection to compliment our order. I had the pâté for an appetizer which was outstanding with rich layers of flavor. I had the lobster and scallop risotto which was rich and creamy with perfectly done scallops which were like savory puffs of pure goodness. My wife had the duck which was juicy and perfectly cooked covered in crisp skin. Duck is hard to do right and this was perfect. I finished with a dense chocolate cake that was more like creamy fudge. It was topped with ice cream and a piece of chocolate covered toffee. Accompanied with a nice glass of Port, the dessert just made you want to linger over each bite. We were there in off season, but I assume it would be tough to get in during the high season. If this isn't the best on the Cape, I can't imagine what could be better. This is not a place for the budget conscious. Our dinner for two with appetizers, desserts and drinks was over $140 before the tip. Well worth it.

1  Thank DessertFirst
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Armed with a gift certificate from a friend we had our first dining experience at the Glass Onion on a late summer evening. The restaurant is simply furnished using brown wood and light green trim and as much window space as possible. We arrived early - just before 6 pm - on a Saturday night and were warmly greeted and seated at a table in the first dining area. Our waiter (brown pants, white shirt, tie) warmly greeted us and served us a sampling of their duck pate on crustini topped with chutney. That one bite set the stage for an incredible dining experience.

I chose the lobster strudel appetizer: flaky golden brown, crispy phyllo crust filled with small chunks of lobster in a rich but thin herbed sauce. Delicious. My husband had raw oysters topped with two different kinds of sauce and enjoyed both.

For our main course I chose the pan seared scallop salad which was served with 5 huge sea scallops on top of a bed of mixed greens, including spinach, and tossed with things both sweet and crunchy. The scallops were lightly top with a balsamic reduction. Oh my - heavenly! My husband chose the roasted duck entree. I sampled the duck and it was tender, tasty and mouthwatering.

For dessert I had the coconut creme brulee, but what set this apart was not that it was a coconut creme brulee but that it was served so elegantly and simply with a small wedge of a lemon bar which provided a tart counterpoint to the sweet, creamy creme brulee. It was also topped with a dollop of meringue to make it a visual feast as well as a feast for the taste buds.

The attention to detail was wonderful. My husband's martini was served with rocks on the side and included a spoon with the ice. Simple touch, but one that you don't see in many places. The drinks were well made, the wine menu robust, and the service impeccable.

This is a lovely restaurant that deserves a full 5-star rating. It is on the more expensive side, but well worth it. We will go back!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Glass Onion is a fine and elegant establishment which has
added to the culinary options in Falmlouth. It is expensive but it's a place where you're not so casual and the meal is always memorable. The evening is always special at the Glass Onion.