“Fine Italian fare”
Review of Osteria La Civetta

Osteria La Civetta
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria La Civetta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 164 Restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Columbus
“Fine Italian fare”
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Our party of three ranging in age from youngster to youngsters at heart had a fine dinner at Osteria La Civetta recently. Fresh pasta and seafood, tasty appetizers, good wine selection, and excellent desserts (some out of the ordinary Italian offerings), made for a pleasant dinner in Falmouth. The waitperson was not as warm and friendly as we would have hoped, however, it did not impact our impression of the restaurant.

Nice, France
“So it's an Osteria...”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Friends had talked ip La Civetta, but frankly, it's a southern Italian osteria... like those found in New York's Little Italy or Boston's North End a couple of decades ago. Good, stick-to-the-ribs chow, but certainly nothing special- unless you've overdosed on fried clams on the Cape. Pastas were thick and gummy... Not al-dente. We could have made better at home with some fresh pasta. Positives? Nice choice of olive oils on the table, chewy and fresh bread, and broad wine, but mains were disappointing. High point? I avoid liquor-soaked versions of Tiramisu... La Civetta's was certainly rich, but a complex mix of flavors that didn't overwhelm. By definition, Osterias are humble places to share a good, solid meal; at $130 for two with tip, the "Little Owl" was overall? Underwhelming.

Miami
“Most disappointing place on the cape”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

A local merchant billed this as "fabulous food, especially home made pasta". We went with great expectations. I had the 1/2 lobster with bolognase and tomatoes - what little lobster there was was undercooked, certainly no 1.2 lobster. The tomatoe sauce was the most tasteless sauce I even have eatten. The spaghetti was non descript. The same was true of the meat sauce my sister had on her macaronchi. The attitude of the waitress was the worst. She never told us that there was a charge for the second order of bread and she was very ungracious in every way. When my husband went to speak with the manager about this, his answer was, you should have complained earlier. We thought he'd at least extend a peace offering of dessert but nothing. We unfortunately ordered the hazelnut gelato with expresso which turned out to be a coffee with very little melted ice cream.
This was the worst meal we had on the cape. Every other one was gracious and very fine food.

2 Thank norawein
Juneau, Alaska
“We had a great meal at Osteria. The food...”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We had a great meal at Osteria. The food was good; the atmosphere Italian family chaotic, noisy and fun; the service was friendly. Got a nice wind recommendation from the bartender. No complaints! Best meal on the Cape in several recent trips.

1 Thank Juneauite
Pasadena
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Our son had the duck breast which was delicious and I could justify the $24 price. My husband had a bolognese that while very good, I don't know that it was worth $19. Now, my pasta with 1/2 lobster and cherry tomatoes was nothing like it's description. When it came, there was a claw and 1/2 of a body surrounding my pasta. I was given a craker and a seafood fork but the only meat there was was in the claw or should I say a partial claw. The 1/2 body garnishing my plate of course had no meat in it. It was bad enough that the pasta came luke warm. There was an indiscernible amount of lobster meat in the sauce and no cherry tomatoes to be found. I asked our waitress how this was supposed to be prepared and she told me that all the lobster meat was in the sauce and that it was cooked for days which is why I could not detect a single piece. When I told the waitress that the claw tasted strongly of white wine, she looked at me funny but offered no explanation. Who would ever cook seafood for days? Again, if my pasta hadn't been so disappointing, the meal would have been passable. Our waitress asked if we wanted to see the desert menu, I smiled politely and told her I think we are done and left. She never knew or acknowledged that I only ate 1/2 of the pasta because one of the kids busing the tables took my plate and and of course never made mention. Oh yes, my pasta with indiscernible lobster was $26.

2 Thank FruPasadena