“The best egg rolls in Fall River”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sun China Restaurant
Ranked #122 of 230 Restaurants in Fall River
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I do not rave about everything there. But a few things do excel. Their egg rolls are the best in Fall River. The sweet an sour chicken is also wayyyyy above average. Much bigger pieces of chicken than you get anywhere else. And the sweet and sour sauce is homemade, not the red sugary stuff you get everywhere else. The moo shu beef also was very good. My complaint is that they overcook their vegetables. The broccoli dishes are all soft and wilted. But I can say that they strive to be distinct, unlike so many of the other Chinese restaurants which are indistinguishable from one another. It is a small place and not the most accessible location. But I will go back to try some of the other dishes. The staff has always been pleasant every time that I have been there.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We go to the Sun China frequently, probably more frequently here for dinner than any other place. The "Old Lady" commented on is all that has been said. We are not offended by her loud voice. Most regulars here all take it in stride. And we see many regulars. Why do we put up with her? We understand her to be under pressure, doing work she has probably never done before, struggling with her husband to make this small restaurant survive. When her daughter Tammy or son Yung are there to help, all is OK again. Regulars consider her "Part of the action. Almost entertaining." We all have our stories to tell about her. However. And the "However" is the key: the food is good, especially the Won Ton soup, and the prices are the best in the Fall River area! By far the best. See ya!

1  Thank CaptainDG
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Heard good things about this place but my husband and I tried it and would not come back here. Food not very good at all.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

If you like getting yelled at, then this is the place for you. First time I went there, I paid by credit card. The old lady yelled at me for using it, then asked her husband to run the card for her. I used to speak Cantonese and I believe I heard a bad word muddled underneath her breath. But ok, she knows the CC companies take a little off the top, so be upset.

The 2nd time, I paid by cash (didn't want to get yelled at again) and the guy behind the register was very nice. No complaints there.

3rd time, I ordered a lot of food (had company). The lady on the phone (not the old lady) said 15 minutes. I arrive 15 minutes later and was told the food wasn't ready for another 10 minutes. I understand, we ordered a lot, but it would have been nice to have been told a more proper estimate. We pay, leave, and come back 10 minutes later. This time, the old lady storms out of the kitchen and starts yelling at me in front of all the customers already seated. She tells me that her husband is "cooking, cooking, cooking, chopping, chopping, chopping", all while pointing her finger at me. She continues to yell at me in Cantonese and English, helps customers already seated, then comes back and yells at me some more while I stand there and take it. I'm not in the business of arguing with old people, especially those who could spit in my food, so I take it.

But let me get this straight, I order a bunch of food, arrive at the time I was told to arrive (twice!), and then get chewed out because I ordered too much food and/or arrive on the quoted times?

Give me a break lady. I know you're old and set in your ways, but since when and where is it OK to yell at your customers, especially when they've done nothing wrong?

Regarding the food, the chow mein (fall river style) was good, the beef with broccoli should be called a lot of Broccoli with some beef (in a lot of broth), the Cantonese chow mein was very dry and hard, but the beef lo mein was good.

So, basically, if you want to get yelled at for doing nothing wrong, this is the place to go. Sorry lady, you've lost my business.

UPDATE: I just found a piece of saran wrap in my chow mein, of course, after chewing it. Thankfully, I didn't find it while I had company over (the visual wouldn't have been good). If that old lady's attitude didn't lose my business, then this did.

2  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Food is real good. Rumor has it that the owner/cook was a cook at the old China Royal which was the best in its day. Inside restaurant is small just OK. Service for take out and eat in is fast. Food is always hot and fresh. You get your money's worth.

1  Thank HiddenAgenda