“Excellent food”

Dining options: Reservations
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Excellent food”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Recently visited the restaurant as we have done in the past. At two in the afternoon we were the only cusomer. The 6.95 lunch specials(chicken pie and Scrod Hulleson were excellent. We have two complaints. A restaurant that charges 2.00 for a glass of soda that is half the size of any other restaurants glass is out of thier mind. Employees should learn how to use the calculator that they have. Two errors is is two more than enough. A RETIRED RESTAURANT OWNER.

• Visited June 2011

New Bedford,MA
“NOT UP TO EXPECTATIONS”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My Husband and I went to the Huttleston House last week for the scallop special that had been advertized in the newspaper for several weeks - "Seconds on us". We've eaten here occasionally for several years. Service has always been on the slow side- I guess that they don't want you to feel rushed. However I thought that 1 1/2 hours for lunch was way too long. There were only 2 other tables occupied besides us, so it wasn't busy. We both ordered the fried scallops, which came with salads, potato & coleslaw. A small plate of cheese spread & pita chips arrived while we waited for the salads, which were average. The diet Cokes were served in wine glasses and were mostly ice - no refills. We waited an eternity for our meals - how long does it take to fry scallops? They were good when the came, but the portions were skimpy. Not whole scallops,but pieces. We ordered the "seconds" - more waiting - and got another even smaller portion served in a tiny butter dish. Both servings just about made up one normal plate, Not worth the wait.

• Visited May 2011
marion massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Restaurant great sauces”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I must say it is really a nice restaurant. The ambience is quality, people nice, food really really good, special with good sauces. I would give it an A

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank hawley508
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“A little too expensive for what you get”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and I went to this restaurant on a cold and rainy/snowy Monday night at around 7:30PM. We had not been there in years. I don't know if the weather was to blame, but we were the ONLY customers in the entire restaurant, including the lounge/bar area, and appeared to have been the only customers that entire evening. Almost spooky! The waitress was very helpful and very friendly and needless to say, we had excellent service and no wait! The decor is rustic/fine dining. The table settings are pretty. The menu was huge and with so many choices it took us a while to figure out what to order. The waitress helped, answering our questions and offering recommendations. Most of the dishes were 19.99, with a very few at $15 and some at abt $25. The emphasis is on French-influenced dishes, with a lot of lobster and other seafood. The waitress brought us pita chips and a spread while we read the menu, and bread w/ our meal. The bread was hot and fresh out of the oven, but not my favorite type, as it had the texture and thin, non-chewy crust of a very refined white bread roll from say, a pillsbury dough roll. We picked the petite filet mignon at $16.99 each. It's a 6 ounce filet that came w/ a choice of "potatoes annette" or rice pilaf, a salad, a few baby salad greens and some boiled sweet potatoes. The filet came topped w/ french fried onions and on a piece of bread. It was very tender, perfectly cooked, and while a bit small for 6 oz. (I'm not a good judge of weight, it may have been 6 oz.), the best thing out of the whole meal. The rice pilaf was fine and while the potatoes annette were OK, I was not crazy about them. They were boiled potatoes cooked in chicken stock w/ onions. The small serving of plain mixed gourmet greens were good. The sweet potatoes were awful. They were peeled, boiled, and tasted like they had been brined in a horribly salty solution. They looked like they came out of a can, and the salty, almost vinegary/spicy seasoning fought with the natural good taste of the sweet potato. A plain baked sweet potato w/ no seasonings would have been far better. I also had 2 cosmos, which were fine. The waitress brewed fresh coffee for my husband, and it was good. The bill came to 54.00 and change. Personally, I can't justify paying that kind of money for food that was just OK (the filet itself was good) and in some instances bad (the sweet potates). In general, I get the sense that the place has potential but needs some freshening up and improvements in the kitchen and menu.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank FrequentDiner26
dartmouth,mass. 02748
“I was pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

The Huttleston House has some mixed reviews from our community. With-out hesitation, I would recommend this restaurant. Our party of four were all pleased with the service and food. Priced right. it was nice to see a staff CARE about your visit from start to finish