“Really Nice Place, Home Cooked Food, but slightly overpriced”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Abbondanza Italian Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Abbondanza Italian Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 106 Restaurants in Everett
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've been here twice since September 2012, and we have a group going towards the end of February! The food here is really good and the atmosphere is exquisite. The menu is a bit limited, but there's nothing on that is bad. My ony real complaint is that they have limited choices of pasta, I believe they only have three none of which is my favorite -- angel hair, by what they do have is good. Everything here has that 'homemade" taste. The portions are pretty reasonably sized.

In my opinion, though, their prices are just a bit north of reasonable. While their food quality and their ambiance certainly deserves to be priced more than your average eatery, I think their prices could be lowered a little bit, maybe about 10% less.

1  Thank DFM_58

Reviewed October 6, 2012

An extremely disappointing experience. This is a place I'd heard about for quite some time and always wanted to try. I'm not the most sophisticated diner in the world, but I do enjoy good, hearty food that is well-priced and served with a smile. With great anticipation, I planned a night out with six friends who were also anxious to try this oft-praised place.

We arrived on time for a reservation and waited almost ten minutes before we were told we could proceed downstairs to our table. Not a warm greeting, and the waiting area was awkward - we felt as though we were in the way when in reality we were showing up on time for a table that should have been ready for us. Once seated, we were presented with one small basket of bread for seven diners. I politely asked for another basket, which arrived rather unceremoniously a few minutes later. Then things really started to go downhill.

We waited 45 minutes before anyone came to take our order. At one point, a very frazzled waiter came over and brusquely/borderline rudely informed us that he was just really busy and that we would have to wait for him to come back after he dealt with other customers. His defensiveness was bizarre and made us feel ill-at-ease in a place where we should have been shown warmth and hospitality. When the waiter finally did return, we were absolutely ravenous, but get this: he would only take our drink order. I asked if we could also order food, and he said that there was just too much going on and gestured wildly and almost helplessly around the dining area, which was about 80% full. He actually seemed annoyed that we wanted to put in our food order. Really? I totally understand that waiting tables can be stressful, but we were relatively easy going after our wait and just wanted to order, so maybe it's time to find a different profession, "my friend". By the way, I hate it when rude waitstaff refer to me as their "friend". I am not your friend! I am a hungry, paying customer, and you're not bringing me any food! Actually, you're refusing to let me even tell you what I would like to eat. Are you for real? That's no way to treat anyone, much less a friend!

At any rate, we mentioned that it had been over 45 minutes since we first sat down, and we were promptly pawned off onto a lovely waitress, who we later surmised was actually the bartender from upstairs. We put in our food orders and were soon served our adequate but rather pedestrian salads. Then it was a good 40-45 minutes before our main courses arrived.

So we ate our dinner at almost 9 after arriving at 7. At that stage in the game, we probably all would have eaten sawdust, but that's beside the point. My risotto special, which I later found out cost $28 (I was dumb and didn't ask, figuring it would be only a few dollars more than the rest of the main dishes - oops!) was okay, but the butternut squash was questionable - I detected almost no taste and wondered if it was previously frozen. I've had much better risotto in much less lauded restaurants. The food was simply not worth the price. My buddy ordered a chicken dish and said that the meat was tough and dry and that his pasta was cold. My other friends seemed moderately pleased with their food, but overall, our experience was so soured by the dreadful service that it was difficult to enjoy anything. The two tables adjacent to ours were also visibly annoyed with their experiences, and the last ditch attempt by the waiter to please us with some complementary dry Italian cookies was far from enough to salvage the night. It actually felt more like a patronizing afterthought than an olive branch when he plunked the plate down after leaving us our bill.

Zagat ratings and the like can only carry a place so far. I hope that the Abbondanza owners and staff read this and respond with a dramatic improvement in service and an understanding that courtesy and warm welcomes go a long way with most people, even on a "bad night" in the restaurant. That sort of attitude adjustment, and an offer of a free meal, would be the only things that would get me to even consider dining at Abbondanza again. There are plenty of small mom-and-pop eateries in Everett and the surrounding cities that offer a friendlier and more pleasant experience for far less money. Zagat would do well to check them out, and you would too.

4  Thank professeurpablo
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I lunched at Abbondanza with colleagues from work and it was awesome from the get go! Over 3 hours we expereinced it all - appetizers, entrees, dessert and coffee - we only missed on the wine as we were returing to work. On Main St in Everett we found parking right in front and even tho there was a 1 hour parking limit the waitress told us it was never enforced. Lunch was leisurely as there was only 1 waitress working the entire room upstairs - which, if you were in a hurry might have been a problem but for us it was not. There were many specials, so many in fact I wish they were on a board or added to the menu - it was hard to keep track. We shared the appetizers - stuffed artichoke, grilled clamari, and fried calamari. The stuffing in the artichoke was dense & flavorfull, the grilled clamari had a bit of a bite & the fried calamari had a light batter - and the clamari were perfect - not at all chewy. for entres the table had butternut ravioli, swordfish (to die for - expertly prepared), veal limon, eggplant parm and eggplant & chicken parm. All were declared excellent. Coffees (the cappucino was lovely) and mini cannollis rounded out the meal. As mentioned there was only 1 waitress & she was running the whole time, food was a bit slow out of the kitchen but not a problem for us. it is obviously a popular place as most of the tables were seated. Abbondanza deserves all the accolades from Zagut I saw hanging on the wall as you enter.

1  Thank dtmbf50
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My husband and I discovered thiS lovely place a couple of months ago and have been there 3 times already. Homemade salad dressing, delicious bread, a variety of dishes and excellent martinis. I had the pumpkin martini, which was wonderful! Also, your meal comes with a salad, which you dont see much these days. It is our new favorite place!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 10, 2009

order the Ravioli con la zucca. it's ridiculously good!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook