“Inconsistent experiences...”

Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Essex
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friends & I have gone here several times. The enjoyment of the experience seems to be dependent upon who waits on you (service runs from friendly to lax, inattentive & rough around the edges). We started w/a Steamer Special, but the steamers were so tiny, there was nothing "special" about it. The seafood is usually fresh, there's a huge pile of assorted fish in the Fried Seafood Plate, mkt price: medium light, crispy batter. Good, but nothing special for the price. Would love a full loaf of bread & butter, but had to remind the waitress for more & kept asking for water refills. The fettuccine was heavy, had very large butterflied shrimp, but the rich, creamy sauce is somewhat gummy. When the waitress finally did bring the Parmesan cheese for it, she banged the bottle down on the table which startled us. But to add insult to injury it was not fresh grated as we requested. Like their salads. Full bar...

2  Thank J O

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stopped by for lunch today. I like seafood and my wife anything but seafood. I had the chefs special which is a boulabaise with shrimp, haddock, mussels, and sausage in a red tomato sauce. My wife had the Turkey dinner with all the trimmings. In addition, they provided a steaming hot loaf of bread which went perfectly with both meals. The service was good and we did not wait, but this was on a Thursday afternoon. Prices were reasonable, especially the turkey dinner. We waddled away fatter and happier!!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I eat here often, always very good, drinks are great as well.
The menu is large, lots of interesting dishes, a can't go wrong spot.

1  Thank Bruce R
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Made a trip to Essex on a recommendation from a friend for some good seafood. Was not disappointed. I had fried clams and my GF had fried calamari. Both were excellent. Enjoyed the mix of fries and rings without even asking for them. Much more than either of us could eat but I certainly didn't let any of the clams go to waste. Cole slaw was so-so but didn't go there for that anyway.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This area is challenging to find a hotel for a large group with kids. We were a party of 17. The restaurant was great in accommodating us. We had a back room area with two tables-- one for the kids and one for the adults. Even though restaurant was super busy, they did a great job at service offering suggestions and accommodations for food allergies and special requests. Loved the seafood!! Prices are reasonable and restaurant seemed really packed, noisy and popular but lots of fun!, highly recommend.