“Excellent quiet evenings...”

Windward Grille Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Antique New England farmhouse with 1800's barn attached. Fireplaces lit during the winter months. Large rustic bar with high-top seating around bar area. Booth and table seating available in several dining rooms. Special value priced specials available Monday thru Thursday. Large parking area with easy wheelchair accessibility.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here three times and have always been very pleased with our meals. This is not an exotic adventurous menu, but very good food cooked with skill. Most recently, the haddock piccata was perfect, the seven layer chocolate cake a delight. The atmosphere is quiet, friendly and warm. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I enjoyed the turkey dinner, which was nicely cooked with good mashed potatoes. People around me were ordering fish, but I was craving turkey. The service was a bit too slow, but the waiter was nice.

I do encourage the restaurant to make real ice tea. There is no excuse for the fake stuff when making the real thing is not difficult.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were staying nearby in September with friends who had driven up from Philadelphia to see us. I looked at the restaurant reviews before we left the UK and booked a table for the last night of their stay with us. When we arrived for our 7pm reservation the place was heaving with people and we realised that we would have to wait for our table. It was no trouble and we only waited around 15 mins. When we were shown to our table the waitress didn't come to us for quite a while. She actually seemed to be a little overwhelmed by the amount of people in the room. However when we eventually ordered our meal and it arrived it was just superb. The Surf and Turf was absolutely excellent as was all the food we ordered. Ok the service could have been a little better but this was a very busy Saturday night so I suppose we must cut them some slack. Anyway it was so good that my wife and I went back the next night for our last night of the holiday. Things were much quieter and we got seated immediately. Again the food was just fabulous. ( ok my Fries arrived overdone but were changed immediately) so no complaints on this front. My 'mixed' appetizer was just massive and incredible and my steak was just right. We were offered a free dessert and port wine by the lady owner which was lovely. Unfortunately we were to full to eat anymore and as I was was driving the port wine had to be declined. This restaurant has to be one of the best in Mass.

1  Thank scottfire
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Never had a bad meal at Windward. Always consistent and good service. Just love their Haddock Piccata. Reasonable wine prices.
Comfy atmosphere, especially when the fire place is roaring!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Windward is a wonderful discovery on Rte. 133 in Essex, MA. The menu is varied andd interesting, the food prepared exceptionally well, with interesting combinations of staples and vegetables in season. Portions are very large: the prime rib is massive (two sizes.) Try the bread pudding with caramel sauce for dessert. The wine list is modest but appealing, with good buys under$30. The service is always exceptional: we have never had a server who didn't make us feel appreciated. I recommend it highly after a hard day of antiquing in Essex.

1  Thank golfxj6