“Scarborough Hotel is such a fantastic venue for parties!”
Review of Scarborough Hotel

Scarborough Hotel
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Wollongong, Australia
“Scarborough Hotel is such a fantastic venue for parties!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last weekend we went there for lunch and we could not fault this venue: beautiful location, lovingly restored into a space that deserves every accolade!

• Visited April 2013

“Amazing views, disappointing meals.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We decided to stop off at the Scarborough Hotel for lunch on a drive down the coast from Sydney. I really wish we had've kept driving and had lunch instead in Wollongong.
The hotel has amazing views, which is why we stopped off but other than that we were pretty disappointed.

I ordered the tempura fish and squid, with chips and salad. The chips were nice but the fish was quite dry and the batter was definitely not light like a tempura. The batter on the squid was quite stodgy, like the oil hadn't been hot enough. There was a pretty sad salad on the side with along with a small container of bottled mayonnaise.

My boyfriend had the linguine with chorizo and prawns with a tomato based sauce. The linguine was way overcooked and the sauce tasted awful, like a really cheap bottled sauce.

I don't consider myself too fussy, but these two fairly simple meals were well under par, especially given that prices were a lot more than what you would expect to pay for pu food. Shame, because it is such a beautiful location.

• Visited March 2013
Sydney, Australia
“For day-trippers only”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Drop in for a beer and enjoy the beer garden (minus the beautiful tree they removed) and views. The foods average with a very limited menu, extortionate prices and tiny portions. Most locals give it a swerve because of this which is a shame since poor patronage outside of weekends was the reason its recently changed hands again. Even the local brew, Long Board, has gone, making way for the usual generic bland x beers. Good place for the Sydney-siders heading down the coast to their weekenders and needing a chardonnay on route.

Wollongong, Australia
“Great Location, menu needs improving”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had lunch on Sunday with 8 of my family members.

When I booked midweek I secured a cliff top table, to book one of these tables my credit card number was taken and I was informed that if we had to cancel within 24hrs a $50 cancellation fee would be charged. I was also told that there was a minimum spend of $150 for the table, I suppose this stops you only having a couple of drinks and admiring the view during lunch service hours.
I was also told there was two sittings so we booked the 11.30am to 2.15pm time slot, we assumed that we would be moved on at 2.30pm but this did not happen which was nice.
The mains cost $18.80 for the pumpkin feta salad and up to $26.80 for the Atlantic Salmon with the other dishes somewhere in between. I must say my Barramundi and Squid Combo was quite ok but the pumpkin salad which was basically rocket with a cameo appearance of all the other ingredients was quite poor.

On a good note the bar service was efficient, prices for a bottle of not so expensive wine was $26 which seems to be the standard price now days. There was some conversation around the table about the short changing of the Schooners as they were not full size glasses, price of the beer was $5.60 for a short schooner.

I suggest if you are not able to walk down a lot of stairs to book a table in the upstairs bar as there is no table service down to grounds below. So when you are buzzed for your meal you will need carry your own food to the tables from the upstairs bar.

Even with the hotels short comings I would definitely think about returning as the staff are friendly and the view is fantastic. We will be back.

• Visited February 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Awesome View. However....”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I've really tried to like this place.

Been here quite a few times over the past year for breakfast. The food is average at best and is a bit pricey. I think I paid $19 for bacon eggs and roasted tomato.

It's got a great view. A lower garden area that is large and very well maintained. There is an upper veranda with an equally great view.

There's no table service for food. You order at the counter and you get a buzzer. You go and get your food when it is ready. This might be because its a Hotel.

The staff is friendly, yet inexperienced at times. The coffee is good. They were running a $2 coffee deal for awhile that was good value.

If these guys could get the kitchen in order, I think people would forgive the big prices.

However, until I hear otherwise, I'll probably only be going back for coffee or a beer!