“What a way to spend your 70th Birthday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Harbor View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“What a way to spend your 70th Birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

My son and his family purchased a house on MV seven years ago. Prices on MV being astronomical for real estate, theirs was a "work in progress". The house has progressed from Spartan to "homey" but still lacking those touches for seniors (no stairs and sleeping late). I did look forward to seeing my three grandsons who are growing up very quickly. The decision to stay at the Harbor was made in secret between my son and wife. I was disappointed not staying at the family "inn" but started changing my mind quickly when I arrived at the Harborview. The room in Mayhew cottage was on the first floor, no stairs! The room was big and well appointed just off the pool. Put a check mark there for rooms and accommodations (fluffy robes and all).
What really sets this place apart from other destination is the feeling of being at the "MV Waldorf" maybe of the 1950's. The front porch is a wrap around panorama of the life on northeast fishing island. If you like to sit back on a chair after a late breakfast , read , and take in one of life's wonders, this will fill your bill.
What about the food and the service? I read some of the Tripadvisor reviews that weren't favorable but here's my story. If you like to eat breakfast, this place will blow your palate away. Blueberry pancakes, Brioche French toast, a hot buffet, a cold buffet or just coffee. I read people muttering about the staff. Well, many resorts and cruises recruit people from different parts of the world, get over it. I wouldn't want my sons and their college degrees working who knows how many hours a day serving cleaning, running after guests, even if it's only 3-4 months.
What is outstanding about this staff is what they lack in in perfect English is more than made up for in politeness, respect, and genuine attitude to make your stay wonderful. An example, the man at the omelet station asks he can make me one. I say no, he does have ham and geen peppers which do it for me. You guessed it, he went and got it made it a carried it over to the table!
So I'm not finished. I invited my son and his family to come over for lunch at the pool. Again the food and service were right at the highest level. But that's no what made my day... My second oldest grandson, Mr. Cannonball helped himself to a bloody nose diving for concrete in the pool. One of the staff seeing this before us rushed over to him with a first aid kit. This cut the hysterics down to zero. The bloody nose was no worse then blowing your nose too hard. The fact that the pool staff was so on top of what was happening on his watch is what makes this a standout place. The staff -all of them - are great people not to be judged by anything but the experience they deliver. Sorry for the long winded comments but I am 70! FYI you've never had Blueberry Pancakes this good. I understand the pres even eats here????

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Chuck H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We loved our recent stay at the Harbor View Hotel. The hotel staff was highly professional and gave us 5 star service. Chad helped us to our room, which was also ready early. Great location in classic Edgartown, spacious room with comfy beds, nice patio and lovely pool area. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank LauraD44444
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I've just read the reviews about the rooms that apparently are in a bad condition. I am wondering if those rooms are located in the main building ?
When I stayed there 2 weeks ago, I got a wonderful, newly renovated room - in the back building on the 3rd floor.
Very spacious, and clean, all new furniture, new carpet, and new curtains. And a very nice down comforter and cotton sheets.The whole room (including the bathroom) must have been renovated just recently.
I also enjoyed the comfortable armchair with ottoman, and the desk and chair for work. Not to forget the benefit of having a mini-refrigerator, a coffee-maker, and bathrobes.
The room was in the back building which is a bit to walk from the lobby / restaurant. They don't have an elevator, but they take care of your luggage.
The view from the room was not so exciting: Just to the pool ! But they have a nice porch with rocking chairs in front of the main building where you can hang out and enjoy the nice view to the water and the lighthouse.
The location is very quiet (end of the street), and it's about a 15-minute-walk to the harbor and main street where all the shops and restaurants are.
The lighthouse and the beach are easy to reach. And someone told me, that the receptionist gave them lawn chairs to relax at the beach.
I would definitely stay there again - but at the time of reservation would want to make sure to get a renovated room !

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room (back building ??)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
3 Thank worldtravellor147
Marrakech, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

When on the Island we used to look forward to the varied and classic buffet brunch here. However on our recent visit we found the choices sadly diminished. There was only one salad of lettuce, few desserts and not much choice for hot foods either. There were still oysters and shrimp but nothing of the splendor of past years. We were disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank joyceheard
Clark_Guinn, General Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
I am so sorry for your disappointment and for the loss of your patronage. We appreciate your comments, and will share them for consideration when reevaluating our Sunday brunch menu. I do hope that you revisit our Sunday Brunch as we do appreciate your patronage.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Went there on a romantic weekend and had a wonderful time!
Enjoyed the amenities the hotel has to offer : the pool with cocktails, the porch with food and drinks ordered at Henry's, the brunch at Water street, the room with its wifi and fridge to keep a bottle of champagne for a perfect romantic getaway!
The staff was always very nice, the concierges were very helpful.
I see bad reviews about the cleanliness or the size of the room. We had a room in the main building and the room had a good size and was clean, no complain on that!
We did have to wait for the room to be ready until 4:30 which was a little annoying as I had made reservations early evening and wanted to shower before leaving the hotel, but the rest of the stay was a really good time!
Anywhere we'd go, people would ask where we were staying at and they would all say "Oh i love hanging out on that porch!". The view from there is unbeatable! Even though it was the middle of the summer, the pool or the porch were never over crowded; Nice relaxing and romantic time!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had one do our first dates on MV 10 yrs ago, so I surprised him with a quick trip.. Booked a $400 main building room with a water view.. Problems started immediately as we arrived, we were told we could check in by 3pm, but the room was guaranteed by 4pm... Of course room was not ready. By 4:30 I went back to the desk and the clueless attendant said to me, "nope your room is still dirty." That's just what I want to hear. So I ask, since you've guaranteed me a room by 4, and it's now 430, what do we do now? She looked at me like I was crazy and called a supervisor.. Then decided to give us another room. The main building lobby is very nice so not in my wildest dreams did I expect to get the room we did.. As you walk upstairs it's immediately apparent that the property is in dire need of renovation. We were given a musty room to the far right of the building, and this room looked like a motel.. Small bathroom with musty shower curtain, the shower head was falling out of the wall. Stained old carpet, old tv, old furniture. Our water view was locked by trees. The "patio" was a 3x3 deck with one piece of old iron furniture, with an ashtray of butts in it.. Floor of patio was badly covered in some green turf like material. Out in the hallway I was met by cleaning staff who were still cleaning the room down the hall that we were supposed to have, I peaked in, the room was the same, smaller but better view. Basically this hotel is all about the beautiful location, but the staff, service, and property is not up to par... These rooms should go for less than $200 based on the condition.
Uncomfortable chairs outside at the pool and no service warrants a lower rate...
We would never stay hear again, don't get snowed by the hotels lovely luxury descriptions on their site.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank DNB25
Clark_Guinn, General Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction regarding your recent stay with us, as we clearly failed to provide you with the level of service and facilities that you expected.

Our housekeepers begin their day at 8am with a list of guests who have checked out early. With the required check-out time of 11am, we make every effort to clean rooms for our 4pm check-in time and the majority of the time we are able to meet this time constraint. With no break in occupancy this time of year, it is a challenge to get carpets shampooed, when necessary, and dried in time for the next guest.

The Harbor View Hotel was built in the late 1800’s, because it is a historic landmark any changes to the structure of the hotel, i.e. bathroom sizes is not permitted by the town. The hotel offers much history and an incredible location with the beautiful ocean across the street. Although it is true that some updating is necessary, we do our best to maintain the 123 year old hotel.

If you would consider giving us an opportunity to reverse the impression we left with you, please contact my assistant, Lynn Marble at 508-356-2102.
Weston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My daughters and I stayed here recently for a whole week in the most expensive room they have
in the main building. When we arrived we found window air conditioners being held in with duct
tape, one of the conditioners had MOLD all along the inside, several electrical outlet covers were
falling off, the bathroom was very dirty, the carpet was stained throughout, the furniture had
knicks in almost all pieces. Most all of the windows did not close properly, so when it rained the
water would dribble down the walls. The one elevator didn't work, there was no valet parking,
the front desk attendants were very poorly trained and most spoke very poor english. The list
could go on and on about the terrible condition this hotel is in. They are charging rates consistent with a very high end hotel, but providing a very run down building. I would never
stay here again. I did talk to the general manager about the condition of our room, but he had
no excuse for it except to say that they are "striving to do better"! Do not waste your money
staying at the Harbor View Hotel

Room Tip: You do no want to choose any room or stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Georgie H

Being on an island has many challenges, i.e. arranging qualified technicians to repair the antique elevator in a timely manner. Although, we employ many people from different countries, we do require that they speak English and many of our guests enjoy their diversity.

The Harbor View Hotel was built in the late 1800’s, offering much history and an incredible location with the beautiful ocean across the street. Some updating is necessary; we do our best to maintain the 123 year old hotel, sometimes requiring temporary fixes until we have necessary parts and or opportunity, so not to displace our pre-booked guests. With no break in occupancy this time of year, it is difficult to get carpets shampooed, when necessary, and dried in time for the next guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
The Hob Knob
The Hob Knob
#1 of 11 in Edgartown
4.5 of 5 stars 406 reviews

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!