My son and his family purchased a house on MV seven years ago. Prices on MV being astronomical for real estate, theirs was a "work in progress". The house has progressed from Spartan to "homey" but still lacking those touches for seniors (no stairs and sleeping late). I did look forward to seeing my three grandsons who are growing up very quickly. The decision to stay at the Harbor was made in secret between my son and wife. I was disappointed not staying at the family "inn" but started changing my mind quickly when I arrived at the Harborview. The room in Mayhew cottage was on the first floor, no stairs! The room was big and well appointed just off the pool. Put a check mark there for rooms and accommodations (fluffy robes and all).
What really sets this place apart from other destination is the feeling of being at the "MV Waldorf" maybe of the 1950's. The front porch is a wrap around panorama of the life on northeast fishing island. If you like to sit back on a chair after a late breakfast , read , and take in one of life's wonders, this will fill your bill.
What about the food and the service? I read some of the Tripadvisor reviews that weren't favorable but here's my story. If you like to eat breakfast, this place will blow your palate away. Blueberry pancakes, Brioche French toast, a hot buffet, a cold buffet or just coffee. I read people muttering about the staff. Well, many resorts and cruises recruit people from different parts of the world, get over it. I wouldn't want my sons and their college degrees working who knows how many hours a day serving cleaning, running after guests, even if it's only 3-4 months.
What is outstanding about this staff is what they lack in in perfect English is more than made up for in politeness, respect, and genuine attitude to make your stay wonderful. An example, the man at the omelet station asks he can make me one. I say no, he does have ham and geen peppers which do it for me. You guessed it, he went and got it made it a carried it over to the table!
So I'm not finished. I invited my son and his family to come over for lunch at the pool. Again the food and service were right at the highest level. But that's no what made my day... My second oldest grandson, Mr. Cannonball helped himself to a bloody nose diving for concrete in the pool. One of the staff seeing this before us rushed over to him with a first aid kit. This cut the hysterics down to zero. The bloody nose was no worse then blowing your nose too hard. The fact that the pool staff was so on top of what was happening on his watch is what makes this a standout place. The staff -all of them - are great people not to be judged by anything but the experience they deliver. Sorry for the long winded comments but I am 70! FYI you've never had Blueberry Pancakes this good. I understand the pres even eats here????
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Harbor View Hotel offers guests spectacular views of the harbor, Chappaquiddick Island, and Edgartown light house. The resort sits at the end of North Water Street in Edgartown where it has welcomed families and returning guests for more than 100 years. Only minutes from downtown Edgartown, that offers its' guests an array activities from biking, shopping, dining, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Odigeo and getaroom.com so you can book your Harbor View Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbor View Hotel And Resort
- Harbor View Hotel Edgartown, MA - Martha's Vineyard
- Harbor View Edgartown