“Don't stay at the Harbor View in Edgartown”
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Harbor View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Let me first say I have stayed at the Harbor View for years with no problems. That being said, there is nothing that could be said for the lack of action, compassion, or ability of the staff at the front desk or the "director of bookings."
Long story short, we had raw sewerage coming up from the sink to the point the bathroom and part of the bedroom were flooded. It took 3 calls to get someone to the room to fix the problem. Once the problem was "fixed" it took over 2 hours to get the cleaning staff to the room and yet another call to the front desk. Over 8 hours with not being able to brush teeth, take a shower or use a toilet. When we came back from 3 hours after all this, the sewerage came back again. We were finally moved to another room. I asked to speak to the general manager to which the snippy clerk at the front desk exclaimed, "we DO NOT have a general manager!" After asking who was in charge she finally told me of a Director of Booking. I told them I wanted a courtesy call from this individual who they would not give me their name. It has been over 2 weeks and I have still not received a call, email or anything. Again, I have stayed here before with no incident but this is unbelievable! For the money spent I can't believe of the ineptitude of the staff. Save your money and stay somewhere else on MV!

• Stayed: April 2014
12  Thank Brian S
Clark_Guinn, General Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the turn of events that occurred during your last stay with us at the Harbor View Hotel. I scheduled a mandatory meeting with my staff to discuss the way in which this incident was handled or the lack there of. I am disappointed with our failure to continue to offer the level of service you have experienced during your previous stays prior to this recent episode.

Our property has undergone some changes in personnel over the past year and we have selected a qualified individual to oversee the operations of this property for the upcoming season. As Regional Director of Operations, I oversee 3 properties and I make a point of being at each property a minimum of 2 times weekly. However, times such as these, I need to be confident that my staff is equipped to handle whatever and whenever an unfortunate event presents itself.

In an effort to redeem you as a valued guest, I would like to offer you complimentary return stay. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity for us to reverse our last impression we unintentionally left with you. To arrange, please call Lynn at 508-356-2102.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Pristine hotel set off by itself in front of Edgartown lighthouse. 10 minute walk to public transportation. Hotel restaurant, Henry's, is a good place to eat and relax after walking thru the nearby towns. Head out across island to Menemsha and Gay Head...again VTA bus will take you there. Corner room at hotel (#202) has a wonderful view of the lighthouse. Bed was comfortable. Small tub.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paige H
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Room was nice. Clean. Comfy. Within walking distance to the center of town. My only complaint was the ironing board. It stained one of my shirts. Must have been ruined by the last tenents. Staff was great!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Just stayed at Harbor View Hotel and had a great time. Captain's Cottages were very comfortable. The staff were very accommodating and when they discovered it was our 40th wedding anniversary sent us a little complimentary gift. Nice touch! We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay on the island.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JackM4613
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We have been traveling to MV for years and have always stayed at the Harbor View. Why? Simple, the hotel is elegant, but more importantly it's the staff. On our most recent stay we were once again greeted by Darlene, who returned from a season off. We were so happy to see her as she literally ran out of the hotel to say hello. You cannot get better service than that, anywhere. Imagine a hotel where everyone remembers you, even the valet remembered us and made a point to say hello. So, although the hotel is beautiful and a Edgartown is just picturesque, it's staff like Darlene who has us coming back year after year. Chris, Laverne and Courtney.

Room Tip: Take a room in the main hotel, it's pricier but the view is amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Christopher V
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary at this hotel. The staff was wonderful. The concierge Darlene helped me plan a surprise dinner with a violinist, flowers etc. and was terrific. The hotel is well maintained and very comfortable with a great view of the lighthouse and Edgartown harbor. A perfect venue. Looking forward to our return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect for walking around Edgartown and the view is beautiful. The front porch is peaceful with rocking chairs it is a great place to read. You can walk across street and walk to the beach and lighthouse area. It is a harbor type beach but very pretty. We went off season and it was very quiet, we booked a standard room and it had a very nice balcony on third floor. The room was unremarkable and so was the bath but it was very clean. I don't know if i would pay the In season rates as they are quite high. Lobby area was nice and the breakfast was very good. the cleaning staff were very sweet and hard working. The complementary coffee was great and much appreciated. We had a great time at this resort and would like to return. The only thing that bothered me is that the check in time was 4:00 and we did arrive early and even though resort was very quiet they would not accommodate an early check in, we had to wait until 3:30. I feel that if the room is ready why not allow check in we probably would have stayed there and had lunch or drinks if we had checked in but instead had to leave and go elsewhere. Most hotels we stay in accommodate an early check in if possible. Check out is at 12:00 Which is nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank baileyMassachusetts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
Kelley House
Kelley House
#9 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!