Not being much of a crowd person I took my first ever trip out to Martha's Vineyard in February of all times but it was a fantastic trip in spite of the cold and snow and was made all the more so by my stay at Edgartown's beautiful Harbor View Hotel. I am a sucker for historic hotels and if they come complete with a wide veranda with wooden rockers where one can sit and enjoy the view, all the better! You can bet I was quite enchanted with the Harbor View as not only does it fill both of those requirements but that view from the rockers includes the Edgartown Lighthouse with Chappaquiddick Island beyond.
The hotel exudes a feeling of serenity from its lobby with a terrific fireplace and walls painted in beautiful seaside colors with lots of white woodwork to its Victorian-style dining room with plenty of windows to take in the view while enjoying a very tasty breakfast before starting your day to its guest rooms which are comfortably-appointed with luxurious bedding, lots of soft & fluffy towels, and plenty of room to move around & settle in. For our visit, my cousin and I stayed in one of the Captain's Cottages which was simply amazing. Our cottage was two stories and had a kitchenette area with microwave, mini-refrigerator, and dishes, a beautiful gas-burning fireplace, flat-screen TVs in both bedrooms as well as the living room area, a washer and dryer, and two full-size bathrooms. The marble walk-in shower in the upstairs bathroom was absolutely marvelous and made my own home shower look even sadder than it usually does in comparison! Our suite was simply amazing in all respects.
In addition to being comfortable and beautiful and the epitome of a seaside inn, the Harbor View Hotel has a staff that is very friendly and helpful and more than willing to answer questions, make suggestions, and do whatever it takes to make your visit special. In particular the Director of Evening Services, Donnie Ethier, was marvelous - he gave us a map and showed us the best places in Edgartown to walk to (a very easy walk from the hotel) and was also nice enough to give us a tour of some of the rooms in the historic hotel as he told us some of the property's history. Each room that he showed us looked like it would be the perfect place to stay while visiting the Vineyard and none of them looked like they would disappoint in the least though I would imagine that the ones that had the balcony with a water view were some of the most popular!
All in all, it was a terrific stay in a very beautiful place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Harbor View Hotel or go back myself should I ever return to Martha's Vineyard. While you're there, be sure to take the time to walk around and look at the photos of the hotel "back in the day" and spend some time sitting out on their veranda and take in the view as it's gorgeous!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Harbor View Hotel offers guests spectacular views of the harbor, Chappaquiddick Island, and Edgartown light house. The resort sits at the end of North Water Street in Edgartown where it has welcomed families and returning guests for more than 100 years. Only minutes from downtown Edgartown, that offers its' guests an array activities from biking, shopping, dining, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Harbor View Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbor View Hotel And Resort
- Harbor View Hotel Edgartown, MA - Martha's Vineyard
- Harbor View Edgartown