“Honey, is this your underwear?”
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Harbor View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I traveled to this hotel about a week ago with my husband and 14-month old. We stayed at a different hotel the first night, but spent 2 nights at the Harbor View hotel. We loved the location, but the hotel was so-so for what we paid.

Firstly, my husband and I both work in hotels and understand that you are expected to check in at or after check in time. Since we left from another hotel, it was about 11:30 when we arrived. I took a shot and saw if I could check in, explaining that I had a cranky 1 year old in the car. They said they had nothing, but would tell housekeeping to get something ready for us and would call us as soon as possible. I figured that was fair, and also requested a crib. We went to grab lunch and went shopping until my little one was at his breaking point so we went back to the hotel to see if we could get into our room yet. The same lady was there and said the same thing again - she would try to get housekeeping to get something ready for us. So we left again slighty disappointed and irritated trying to think what else we could do with a toddler that needed a nap ASAP.

Finally they called us and told us our room was ready. When I went to check in she told me I wasn't in the same building as the lobby, but had to cross the pool to another building - a building...with..no..elevator. I couldn't even find words to say when she told me this and that I wasn't even on the first floor. I just left with the room keys explaining to my husband that we had to get my son and all of his stuff up a flight of stairs each time we went out. Not fun at all. Plus having to carry him past the pool every time so he didn't fall/leap in :-/

Ok so the room. I still don't know if the floor was ever vacuumed before we checked in. I found crumbs and fuzz balls all over the place. Hair on the bathroom floor. Just not what I was expecting. The room seemed VERY old too. Especially the bathroom. It was so tiny. The worst part was, my son was playing on the floor and pulled a pair of ladies underwear from under one of the beds. He left them on the floor, and my husband asked if they were mine and I freaked.

We were in a rush to leave the hotel to go home so we didn't stop by the desk to tell them our issues but we called them and all they offered was 10% off a future stay. Hm. I don't think we will be back.

2  Thank traveldiva2585

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed 4 days at the Harbor View with my wife and 2' yr old and the experience could not have been better. The staff was excellent and more accommodating than I could have imagined. Zach the general manager has this place running professionally and efficiently. The staff was very attentive and friendly. Nice and clean rooms with turn down service at night. The food at Water Street restaurant was the best of all the places we ate on the trip. The location is perfect and a short walk to best town on the vineyard. Great location for famlies and children. Daily activities for kids with a friendly staff added a pleasant element to the trip. Can't think of returning in the future and not staying here. When you add everything up, this place cannot be beat and truly the place to stay on your next visit.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently booked a three night stay at the Harbor View Hotel in Edgartown, Ma at a cost of $2200.00.

Stayed two nights (Room 202) and checked out a day early because the A/C was inefficient. The filter was totally blocked and for the second night we needed to have a fan. I was unable to cancel the third night. I was offered a credit for $625.00 and no consideration was offered for the previous two nights. We are spending our third night now in Cape Cod at a wonderful resort called the Wequassett for $395.00 (or should I say $625.00 +$395.00 for a total of $1020.00).

The room is a comfortable 70 degrees and my bride is sound asleep.

Wish that we would of come here first!

Room Tip: make sure the A/c is adequate
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the Harbor View Hotel for a weekend; the staff was good, but the hotel was much pricier than it should have been, given the accommodations. The location is beautiful but the bathrooms were old and the rooms smelled quite musty; the housekeeping was just so-so and, all in all, considering how pricey this place was, I have to say that I expected a much nicer hotel experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I just came back from staying 3 days. We where with my two kids and parents and what amazed me the most was that I found this hotel to cater to all different age groups. Both my parents and my kids (8 & 10) had a wonderful time, they had activities for everyone which was a very pleasant surprise! Besides than, the hotel and location are beautiful wonderful porch to have an afternoon cocktail.

Room Tip: The rooms on the main building which face the parking lot are a little noisy because of the ac machi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

First off this place has a beautiful location & property. They put all the money into the lobby & restuarant. The rest of the hotel is run down & needs a grandmother type cleaning job to get the dust, dirt & mold out.
I was shocked we paid over $500/night for a room that was dated and service that was horrible. The staff has no clue at all what they are doing, from check in to room service we thought we were on one of those hidden camera shows because it was that bad.
Let me just say we were lucky the sun was shining our whole visit, otherwise I would have unleashed on the property manager on how unprofessional and under trained the staff was. Instead I will just sit at the pool, have a cocktail & write this review.
This is my first trip to Martha's Vineyard. Next time we will go somewhere else & stay where the service meets the price.

3  Thank RaisinBran
Zachary F, General Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. As the General Manager I review all postings and take your comments seriously. I try to touch all the guest throughout their stay, and I make it a point to sit and review any and all concerns that the guest should bring to me. I would have enjoyed the opportunity to have spoken to you during your stay, and to have been able to address what ever issues you had. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in the new 3 bedroom suites at Harbor View Hotel. One of the bedrooms is pretty cozy, so be aware of that, but other than that, everything about the hotel was awesome. Couldn't have been better. It's about a half mile walk to town for additional restaurants. Talk to Joanne the concierge to hook you up with private driver/island touring (recommend Ralf the ResortMan), aerial tours, horseback riding, dinner reservations, etc. The private fishing trip and Nantucket trip on SCOUT is awesome. The sunset cruise is beautiful. Joanne was soooo helpful in getting us hooked up. Great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TMY1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Kelley House
Kelley House
#9 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!