“grand hotel, why the motel bathroom?”
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Harbor View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Medina, WA
“grand hotel, why the motel bathroom?”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Harbor View is a beautiful shingle-style hotel in a great location within easy walking distance to Edgartown. The public areas are gorgeous and the staff is helpful and efficient. The hotel restaurant is also good, albeit somewhat expensive. Where the experience fell apart for us was when we entered our room on the bottom floor of the Mayhew Building. We heard every footstep of the guests above us, late into the night. In addition, the bathroom was so ordinary as to be shocking (for the level of the property and the cost of the room). It had an all-in-one plastic tub and shower liner, one sink, and the amenities were not L'Occitane as stated on the hotel website. It just seemed like we had entered a parallel and not very attractive universe when we left the lobby and walked across the pool area to get to our room. If we ever go back, we will either have to pony up more money to stay in the main building I guess, or look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank frogprince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
La Mirada
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I traveled with my sister and her son (my nephew) all adults, and this was our first time to Martjh's Vineyard. I am a travel agent and have traveled to many destinations. Martha's Vineyard is definitely a place I would return to, especially to the Harbor View Hotel.
We only stayed one night, but it was wonderful. Darlene at the front desk was super kind, and helpful, she was just great. The concierge desk (I can't rememner her name) but she was also awesome and so helpful and knowedgeable; everybody there was super nice and even though we only stayed one night, thanks to the great staff and their exceptional service we had a great time and will definitely be going back again.

Room Tip: You have to get a room that faces the Lighhouse!
  • Stayed May 2011
MizzentopHV, Front Office Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are thrilled that your enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to your return! I will certainly share your comments with Darlene and the concierge.
Amanda Kelly
Princeton, KY
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Our first trip to Martha's Vineyard was made very special by Harbor View, thanks in large part to Carolyn at the concierge desk. We had never traveled to that area, and she was invaluable with helping us make last-minute travel arrangements (ferry, private car, etc.). View from our room was incredible. Quiet, peaceful atmosphere. Not one thing to complain about.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
MizzentopHV, Front Office Manager at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from the Harbor View and your kind words. I am delighted that Carolyn was able to assist you with all of your needs, she is certainly an asset to our team! We are looking forward to your next visit.
Amanda E Kelly
Front Office Manager
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Stayed here with my husband over Easter weekend. Got a very good deal on the room via Expedia, so overall excellent value for money.

Room was spacious and clean. The in room fridge was a nice touch, as was the balcony overlooking the pool.

We had wet weather on the Saturday of our stay, so dined in the hotel bar, a delicious meal, would definitely go here again (even if it was sunny!!).

This would definitely be my first choice in Edgartown when we return to the Vineyard.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I had never been to MV before so I didn't really know what to expect, but Harbor View has set the bar VERY high. When I walked into my room (spend the money and get one with a balcony - 100% worth it!), my mouth literally fell open. The room was so bright and cheery with a gorgeous view of the harbor. I have a lot of issues with hotel beds, but these were by far the most comfortable. I have never slept so well on vacation and I travel quite a bit! The hotel staff was extremely attentive and helpful - every little question was answered with a smile and enthusiasm! I feel like this hotel made our trip to Martha's Vineyard, it was an experience. I also have to add that the hotel bar staff were amazing as well SO friendly - they always remembered our drinks orders and our names. I would stay here again in a heart beat! Make sure you go ride the Flying Horses in Oak Bluffs - oldest carousel in the US. The horses are all carved from wood - I felt like a kid again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingBobby77
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Within walking distance to the downtown, it's front porch view of the light house, Bay and Chappaquiddick Island couldn't be better. The staff could not have been more processional and helpful. Particularly liked the bar, it's menu selection and the view. Perfect. When I come back, think I'd probably prefer the main building, if available. The new remodeled suites are very nice but ours didn't have much of a view and the configuration of the windows would have made it difficult, even if there were one.

Room Tip: Would insist on a great view of the bay.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2011

"A Great Classic Vineyard Hotel"
Reviewed by a Hotels.com guest on May 1, 2011
The Harbor View hotel is a classic victorian style hotel, with high standards of service and maintenance. Adding to it's charm is a porch with rocking chairs facing the Edgartown waterfront,which wraps around the front of the hotel. Built in the 1800s, the hotel retains the charm of a time gone by, while also offering excellent service. The two restaurants were outstanding, and the service always friendly. The rooms were above average, many overlooking the waterfront and Edgartown lighthouse. The location is wonderful, and in a slightly more remote part of Edgartown which is quieter than downtown, but still a short walk from downtown. The Harbor View Hotel also has it's own marina directly across the street. This offers transient dockage as well as sailing lessons and skippered charters on their own power boat, The Scout. There are lots of beautiful beaches only yards away, and the area offers many opportunities for bikers. I would not hesitate to return for a future stay, and hope to do so.

• Stayed April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
Kelley House
Kelley House
#9 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!