“Great location; great desk staff; barely adequate accomodations”

Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Buffalo, New York
“Great location; great desk staff; barely adequate accomodations”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We had great service from the two male day-time desk personnel. Both went out of their way to assist us and make sure our stay was pleasant. However the female manager who was consulted about a TV question was dismissive and almost bored. There is much more emphasis on the time-share component of the business. Restaurant only open Thurs-Sat and we were there Mon-Wed!!

Room Tip: book off season
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
robblood, Owner's Representative at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
I want to take a moment to respond to this review. Let me start by saying that we appreciate the candor with which this guest responded to her experience at Vineyard Square Hotel. We strive for perfection and when we fall short, we take it as an opportunity to reexamine our best practices. I reached out to this guest through trip advisor to ask for more specific feedback so that we could address any short comings that she found. She was gracious enough to provide more details and we have responded to her thoughts by making some simple changes.

One of the items that she brought to our attention was that the bathroom in her room, because it has an ADA compliant sink, does not have enough surface area to store toiletries. On Monday we will install a shelf which should address her concern. The other item with which she was displeased was that the hotel TV channel line-up does not include MSNBC. Unfortunately our local cable provider recently removed this from the cable package and for the moment it is out of our control. We are in the process of updating our in-room channel guides to reflect the change.

Regarding the restaurant: we are lucky enough to have a wonderful onsite restaurant which is owned and managed by an outside party. Early in the season they are only open as described in the review, however there are dozens of other restaurants just steps from our door that are open seven days a week.

I have taken the time with the staff to review both the positive and constructive criticisms from this guest and hope that we will have the opportunity to impress her during a future stay.
If any perspective traveler has questions or concerns I encourage you to contact me at: jts@vineyardsquarehotel.com

Rob Blood
Owner’s Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I had one of my best trips ever just last week--thanks to the beautifully renovated Vineyard Square Hotel and its amazing staff. I needed a solo getaway for my birthday after a rough year and couldn't have picked a better spot. It was my first visit to Martha's Vineyard and I am hooked! Now I have a new favorite island next to Harbour Island in Eleuthera--Martha's Vineyard reminds me Harbour Island in character--casually elegant and diverse and beautiful with friendly people.

I loved my room with a view so much that I immediately extended another night to my stay--I didn't care if I had to eat alone on my birthday (fortunately didn't turn out to be the case since I met new friends)--I just knew I couldn't leave so quickly--not with a charming room with a fireplace and a view of the water--along with a porch right next door for my morning coffee. What makes a place special for me is always the service--and everyone was so genuine and friendly as soon as I walked in--from Evelyn (been with property for 19 years!) and Joanne. It says a lot about a property and its management when there is such low turnover at a property--everyone I met is a long-term employee (from the general manager to the housekeeping staff)--and spoke very highly of the management of the new owners.

Thank you for making my birthday one of the best ever--and I will be back in July when I'm hosting a mini college reunion/girls' getaway. Joanne and Lane--you are coming out to dinner with all of us so see you then!

Room Tip: I loved my room with a view--402
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank IslandKim
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Hi IslandKim - It's great to hear that we could help another person to fall in love with the Vineyard - It is a very special place that captures many hearts! We enjoying making new friends too and can't wait to see you again in July.
We're very happy to hear that you had a chance to enjoy the rooftop deck - many of our guests enjoy it during their stay as it is open to all guests, not only those, like yourself, who are lucky enough to be able to enjoy that view from their room.
See you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2011

After 2000 miles on the road, the two "downsides" (remote parking and 3 flights of stairs) turned into welcome opportunities to stretch our legs, and there is a loading/unloading spot on Water St. for moving luggage.
The room itself was cozy without feeling cramped and historic without feeling out of date -- 1911 plumbing with 2011 reproduction fixtures, for example. (Tip: the hallway floors are creaky, so I'm guessing end-of-the-hallway rooms would be quieter.)
Amenities -- the sort of "high touch" things that were remarkable 10 years ago are present at Vineyard Square, sans hoopla. A nice continental breakfast, spa, fitness center, etc., is probably still remarkable for a 28-room hotel, but there you are. The staff recognized us by name throughout the stay and volunteered to find a florist when my wife worried aloud that the bride's flowers had opened prematurely.
I very seldom indulge in this sort of luxury, so it's a temptation to demur from the level of service inherent in this establishment. But the staff all act like owners -- this is the first hotel I've seen where "guest" is not a euphemism.

Room Tip: Best view = most stairs
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David M
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
It is great to hear that you had a good visit with us! Thank you for your kind words about our staff - we are so lucky to have such a great group who really enjoy our guests. I hope we will see you again soon (and we can arrange a quieter room next time!). Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation on joanne@vineyardsquarehotel.com
Best Regards,
Maine
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Let me preface this review by saying that my husband and I travel often and nearly always choose to stay in small hotels and inns. We consider ourselves to be very picky when it comes to our accommodations.

We had the pleasure of spending two nights at the newly renovated Vineyard Square Hotel in Edgartown. Neither my husband nor I had been to the Vineyard since elementary school and we wanted to get away for a couple of days. We chose this hotel because of its central location in Edgartown (we could walk to everything) and because it looked fresh and clean...no doilies!

We booked a 1 room suite in the newly renovated part of the hotel. The living room had a gas fireplace, 32" LCD tv, refrigerator, comfortable couch and glimpses of the harbor. The bedroom had a queen bed and another 32" tv. We found the hotel to be very quiet, especially considering that it is 100 years old.

What really set this stay apart, though, was the friendly staff. We were greeted warmly by Joanne, offered help with our bags and given good advice as to where we could get a late lunch. Over the three days of our stay we met the rest of the staff who went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Edgartown is a nice spot. We enjoyed stepping out the door and being at the center of everything the town has to offer.

If you're heading to the Vineyard, definitely check this place out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flea4901
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to satisfy a self confessed 'picky' traveler! Please remember that our repeat guests always receive a discount with us on your next visit as a thank you for returning.
I hope we will see you again soon,
Tolland, Connecticut
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I had never been to marthas vineyard before but as i had read in other reviews the location is very convenient to dining and shops. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff could not of been more helpful. We rode bikes and they keep them inside overnight for us becuase of the chance of rain. They also helped us with dining ideas. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay. We hope that this was the 1st of many trips to the Vineyard and to the Vineyard Square Hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again soon,
dixville notch
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Just what we needed. The freindly staff, the cleanest rooms, the large rooms with everything you need on an escape to beautiful Martha's Vineyard and Edgartown. We checked late and during a rain storm and the maintenance man helped us with our luggage and then parked our car. The room was first class, fire place with beautiful views. We walked everywhere, even to church. We had friends staying close by and when they saw our unit they wanted to check out from where they were saying. Sun rises were special times on the nice deck with fresh coffee and bakery goodies from the bakery only a block away. The lighthouse only a few minute walk is a very worthwhile walk, just read the history. We stayed 5 days, the restaurants were all good but the best was in right in the hotel. The rooms are lovely and have everything one needs, the fireplace makes you want to wish for rain so that you can stay. WE ARE DEFINETLY RETURNING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! McIvers from New Hampshire

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear that you had such a great stay and we're glad the weather didn't dampen your spirits on your trip! We look forward to welcoming you back soon and remember, as a repeat guest, you will always receive a discount on your next visit.
'til we see you on the Vineyard again,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 8, 2011

What a beautiful, charming B&B! My husband surprised me with a trip to the vineyard for Mother's Day Weekend. Initially, we had some trouble finding a place that would accommodate our infant son. The staff at the Vineyard Square could not have been more welcoming! From the second we entered this lovely Inn, we were well-taken care of. This Inn is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are cozy, adorable and beautifully decorated. The continental breakfast was perfect for our needs. This Inn is centrally located in the Edgartown waterfront and is a great value. While it would be the perfect place for a romantic getaway away from the kids, we were pleasantly surprised by how friendly and welcoming the staff was towards our infant son. In short, we will be back! Thank you to the staff for making my first Mother's Day so memorable- it will be tough for my husband to ever top this trip!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BostonMom333
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. We're so happy to hear you had a great Mothers Day! It was lovely to meet you all and we look forward to seeing your son grow over the years as you return. Remember that repeat guests always receive a discount when you return, so remember to mention that you have stayed with us before when you call for your next reservation (and don't forget to like us on Facebook to keep up on the fun throughout the year!)
Director of Sales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Kelley House
Kelley House
#8 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!