“Even the downsides have upsides”

Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Even the downsides have upsides”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

After 2000 miles on the road, the two "downsides" (remote parking and 3 flights of stairs) turned into welcome opportunities to stretch our legs, and there is a loading/unloading spot on Water St. for moving luggage.
The room itself was cozy without feeling cramped and historic without feeling out of date -- 1911 plumbing with 2011 reproduction fixtures, for example. (Tip: the hallway floors are creaky, so I'm guessing end-of-the-hallway rooms would be quieter.)
Amenities -- the sort of "high touch" things that were remarkable 10 years ago are present at Vineyard Square, sans hoopla. A nice continental breakfast, spa, fitness center, etc., is probably still remarkable for a 28-room hotel, but there you are. The staff recognized us by name throughout the stay and volunteered to find a florist when my wife worried aloud that the bride's flowers had opened prematurely.
I very seldom indulge in this sort of luxury, so it's a temptation to demur from the level of service inherent in this establishment. But the staff all act like owners -- this is the first hotel I've seen where "guest" is not a euphemism.

Room Tip: Best view = most stairs
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David M
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
It is great to hear that you had a good visit with us! Thank you for your kind words about our staff - we are so lucky to have such a great group who really enjoy our guests. I hope we will see you again soon (and we can arrange a quieter room next time!). Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation on joanne@vineyardsquarehotel.com
Best Regards,
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Let me preface this review by saying that my husband and I travel often and nearly always choose to stay in small hotels and inns. We consider ourselves to be very picky when it comes to our accommodations.

We had the pleasure of spending two nights at the newly renovated Vineyard Square Hotel in Edgartown. Neither my husband nor I had been to the Vineyard since elementary school and we wanted to get away for a couple of days. We chose this hotel because of its central location in Edgartown (we could walk to everything) and because it looked fresh and clean...no doilies!

We booked a 1 room suite in the newly renovated part of the hotel. The living room had a gas fireplace, 32" LCD tv, refrigerator, comfortable couch and glimpses of the harbor. The bedroom had a queen bed and another 32" tv. We found the hotel to be very quiet, especially considering that it is 100 years old.

What really set this stay apart, though, was the friendly staff. We were greeted warmly by Joanne, offered help with our bags and given good advice as to where we could get a late lunch. Over the three days of our stay we met the rest of the staff who went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Edgartown is a nice spot. We enjoyed stepping out the door and being at the center of everything the town has to offer.

If you're heading to the Vineyard, definitely check this place out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flea4901
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to satisfy a self confessed 'picky' traveler! Please remember that our repeat guests always receive a discount with us on your next visit as a thank you for returning.
I hope we will see you again soon,
Tolland, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

I had never been to marthas vineyard before but as i had read in other reviews the location is very convenient to dining and shops. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff could not of been more helpful. We rode bikes and they keep them inside overnight for us becuase of the chance of rain. They also helped us with dining ideas. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay. We hope that this was the 1st of many trips to the Vineyard and to the Vineyard Square Hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again soon,
dixville notch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

Just what we needed. The freindly staff, the cleanest rooms, the large rooms with everything you need on an escape to beautiful Martha's Vineyard and Edgartown. We checked late and during a rain storm and the maintenance man helped us with our luggage and then parked our car. The room was first class, fire place with beautiful views. We walked everywhere, even to church. We had friends staying close by and when they saw our unit they wanted to check out from where they were saying. Sun rises were special times on the nice deck with fresh coffee and bakery goodies from the bakery only a block away. The lighthouse only a few minute walk is a very worthwhile walk, just read the history. We stayed 5 days, the restaurants were all good but the best was in right in the hotel. The rooms are lovely and have everything one needs, the fireplace makes you want to wish for rain so that you can stay. WE ARE DEFINETLY RETURNING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! McIvers from New Hampshire

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear that you had such a great stay and we're glad the weather didn't dampen your spirits on your trip! We look forward to welcoming you back soon and remember, as a repeat guest, you will always receive a discount on your next visit.
'til we see you on the Vineyard again,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

What a beautiful, charming B&B! My husband surprised me with a trip to the vineyard for Mother's Day Weekend. Initially, we had some trouble finding a place that would accommodate our infant son. The staff at the Vineyard Square could not have been more welcoming! From the second we entered this lovely Inn, we were well-taken care of. This Inn is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are cozy, adorable and beautifully decorated. The continental breakfast was perfect for our needs. This Inn is centrally located in the Edgartown waterfront and is a great value. While it would be the perfect place for a romantic getaway away from the kids, we were pleasantly surprised by how friendly and welcoming the staff was towards our infant son. In short, we will be back! Thank you to the staff for making my first Mother's Day so memorable- it will be tough for my husband to ever top this trip!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BostonMom333
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. We're so happy to hear you had a great Mothers Day! It was lovely to meet you all and we look forward to seeing your son grow over the years as you return. Remember that repeat guests always receive a discount when you return, so remember to mention that you have stayed with us before when you call for your next reservation (and don't forget to like us on Facebook to keep up on the fun throughout the year!)
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

I never write reviews, but I always read them, so I just had to write about my VERY pleasant visit to the Vineyard Square (the old Colonial Inn)! The entire place has been redone in a really light & relaxed style. The room I stayed in was a “cozy queen” & I think I’ve stayed in the same room before. It used to be a bit cramped with the 4-poster beds & big armoires, replaced by bead board & normal sized dresser (leaving enough room for a large flat screen tv!) The very cool lighting & beautiful island artwork really did make the room feel “cozy” instead of “cramped”. Even the bathrooms have been spruced up with granite sinks & neat “square” accessories.

I had been warned when I booked that there was still some renovation going on, which made me a bit nervous, but while I did see some work items in the hallways, I never heard anything or was bothered at all during my stay.

Great news is that Joanne & the rest of the staff were still there & helpful as always with places to go & things to see, or just a friendly chat. They even let me take a peek at a few of the other rooms.

All in all, a really nice stay – just too short! Hoping to return soon for a whole week to really relax & enjoy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you so much for this lovely review. We are so happy to hear that you love the renovation as much as we do! The rooms do feel more spacious with the new furniture and fittings and I agree, the art and lighting are beautiful!
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon,
Joanne
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

I've stayed at the Colonial Inn several times as well as the adjacent Residences at the Inn. Fabulous service. Ask for Joanne or Michael if any need arises no matter how large or small. Very clean and quiet for its location and if you find yourself on island without transportation this is the place to stay as it's within walking distance of many shops, restaurants and tourist attractions. A quick cab ride from the Steamship Authority Terminal in Vineyard Haven and you're steps away from where most of the action takes place. The Residences at the Inn are amazing and not to be dismissed as glorified hotel rooms. If the opportunity arises and a tour is suggested I highly recommend you make the time to do so. Serene decor, king size bed, gas fireplace, 2 hi def flat screens, microwave, coffee maker, fridge even a dishwasher! My girlfriends and I had recently stayed in a one bedroom for a girls weekend during the off season and had a fabulous time! Downstairs is a great guest lounge where we were fortunate to entertain friends in front of the fireplace and has comfortable furnishings. All the amenities one could ask for when away from home!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
ColonialInnMV, Director of Sales at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Thank you so much for your lovely compliments. We love to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon,
Joanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!