“The Best of the Island”
Review of The Charlotte Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edgartown
The Charlotte Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a weekend stay at the Charlotte Inn. It was more beautiful than on the website. The owners and staff were most attentive to our needs and offered us valuable information about the current activities on the island to help make our visit to MV more enjoyable. Everything they suggested from lunch to the museum was perfect..
The rooms at the inn were most comfortable and it was fun to see the dogs greet us upon our returns to the inn. Each room was warm and inviting and it was so nice to come back to the inn with the fire place glowing.
This is a definite must if you are looking for an English country home atmostphere. I know that we will return!
Pam and John Vasilik

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. You can't miss with any of them.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed here for part of our honeymoon.

We loved this hotel, what an amazing place. Staff very friendly and helpful.

We only ate breakfast here which was superb. Wish we had eaten in the hotel itself as the dining room looked amazing.

Our room was fabulous- over the street from the main hotel and in tip top condition.

A perfect hotel in a lovely location.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Every year since 1995, my wife and I have been going to the Charlotte Inn, returning each year over the second weekend of December to enjoy Christmas in Edgartown. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing and elegant time, this surely is it. One of the Inn's best attributes is its ability to make the problems and issues of the outside world melt away as you are surrounded by opulence. The Inn boasts meticulously detailed rooms (we've stayed in about half of them) full of period antiques and reminders of a simpler time. Attention to detail is very evident - no matter where you look, there is always something to catch your eye. And the Inn's service is a perfect compliment to its lavish surroundings.

Carol Reed, the Manager at the Inn, has made each of our visits to Martha's Vineyard extra special. She provides overviews of weekend events, makes reservations for dinner, gives updates as to what's happened on the island since our last visit and always seems to provide those little extra's that make the trip even more special.

Paula and Gery, the Innkeepers, have done a spectacular job in the restoration and renovation of the Inn. Every year we return, there is something new to admire and appreciate. There are always new focal points of interest to the property that provide new visual interests. My wife and I always look forward to catching up with Paula over breakfast, which I might add is one of the most decadent culinary pleasures you'll have during your stay on the island.

In short, this is the perfect couples getaway if you are looking to leave your hectic schedule behind you. If you are looking for the amenities of a Holiday Inn, this would not be the place for you. But if you are looking for an experience that will make a lasting memory, then there is no better place than The Charlotte Inn.

Room Tip: No matter what room you select, you will not be disappointed - all rooms boast their own unique char...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Best splurge ever! Immaculate grounds, gorgeous rooms, delicious food, and dedicated staff. No cell phones was weird at first, but actually a nice reprieve. Well run - you will love the owners if you follow the reasonable rules that allow all guests to enjoy their stays. My favorite part? The gorgeous, well-behaved golden retrievers :)

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Kate1432
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I had the pleasure of experiencing a stay at the Charlotte Inn at the end of October. Being that I am from the south I was a bit intimidated by the cold Massachusetts air, so you can imagine my delight when I walked through the doors of the hotel to be greeted by warm crackling fireplaces and friendly smiles. The owners of the Inn seemed very hands on and tended to many of our needs. Saying that this place is unique is an understatement. Every inch of the property is filled with fascinating antiques and treasures from long ago...it really added to the whimsy and character. They did have a no cell phone policy in the public areas which I actually loved because it allowed me to take in my surroundings for once and admire how amazing this little gem in Martha's Vineyard really was. What I liked was that even though there were all these antiques you didn't feel as though there was this "do not touch" mentality; even the owner's sweet dogs were allowed to roam and make new friends! It may sound silly as well, but I was super impressed by the toiletries in the room...high end soap and lotions that smelled incredible (I even took a picture of them!). I was visiting the Vineyard for business but made the decision quickly that I was going to be back with my husband to stay at the Inn again. It would just make a perfect escape for us!

Room Tip: Every room is completely different, but for the colder months I would say to try a room with a firep...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Upon touching the freshly polished door latch of the Charlotte Inn I was taken back to a time in life that was simple and defined by personalization and service. Once signed in using ink on a large registration book, I was asked to kindly put away my cell phone and computer, and pick up one of the thousand old fashioned books, curl up by one of many fire places and enjoy time off.

I stayed at the Charlotte Inn towards the end of October and immediately felt the warmth of this family owned Inn. I was greeted by a staff with a 30-year tenure and had the chance to learn about the history of the property as the Inn owner’s wife filled my coffee cup at breakfast. This kind of personalized service far exceeded my expectations.

My favorite part of this “experience” at the Inn was the magnificent display of antiques that filled the home, but didn’t feel as if they were all behind a red rope like in a museum or store. I was particularly romanced by the old-fashioned letterboxes that were placed around the property and took it upon myself to peek in a few hoping for a deeper dive into the past. I was not disappointed. Along with letters from the early 1900’s and so forth were notes more recent guests had hand written on hotel stationary and cocktail napkins expressing gratitude to the owners for their wonderful stay at the Inn. I, too, took to old-fashioned pen and paper to write a note about my stay and dropped it in the letterbox by my room door as I was leaving.

“Thank you for inviting me into your home and for a wonderful stay at the Vineyard.” Kelly P. Circa 2011

Room Tip: Call to get more details on each room. We had one hand selected for us.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Spend more than five minutes at the Charlotte Inn and you cannot fail to succumb to the spell of it's comfort and friendliness. In my opinion you can't beat a family-owned and -run hotel, and this is no exception. The owners are on hand from breakfast onwards, unobtrusively attending to guests' needs. To complete the atmosphere of a beloved family home, the Conovers' two golden retrievers - Barclay and Nicky - are usually to be found patrolling the entrance hall, wagging tails enthusiastically greeting arrivals. The husband particularly liked the open fireplace in our room, and although traditional room service (breakfast, snacks, tv dinners) are not available here, the staff are always happy to bring up a cup of tea and cake at 4pm, or a chilled glass of Chardonnay at 6pm. Oh, and did I mention the antiques? The Conovers have spent many years visiting the English Cotswolds, trawling the antique shops that abound in that part of the world, and have used their finds to recreate the archetypal English country house. No two rooms are alike, and if budget allows I would seriously recommend any visitor to request the Coach House, our favourite so far. Only one sour note, and that was the restaurant. We gathered that the Conovers have rented out the restaurant as a separate entity since our last visit, and it shows. We ate there on our first evening and then decamped to a restaurant called Alchemy down the road.

Room Tip: Check to see if you have your own fireplace.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
#2 of 10 in Edgartown
Kelley House
Kelley House
#9 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to The Charlotte Inn? Share your experiences!