“Great peach salad”

Detente Restaurant and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Detente Restaurant and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 66 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Pittsburgh
“Great peach salad”
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

The peach salad was fantastic and service was good. The menu is a little limited. I had the pork and it was good, but I would not order it again. My husband's fish was better. It's tucked away with some shops so you might not notice it walking by.

MA
“Very good, excellent service”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

A friend and I ate here on a Saturday evening; given the beautiful weather we opted to eat on the patio, which was lovely. The service is exceptionally strong and quite attentive.
We had the roasted octopus to start; the flavors were bright and strong, and I highly recommend this. We also had the veal Milanese, which was tender and well presented.
We both had the Vineyard Sole for dinner; while good, it was a bit simple and blander than we each anticipated. However, the cauliflower side, described as "life changing" by our server, was indeed excellent and a must have.
Overall, a very good dinner and a joy to sit outside.

1 Thank allover09
Chicago, Illinois
“Almost hate to let people know about this place...”
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Since last time I wrote a review of one of our beloved Vineyard restaurants, it became overrun and impossible to get into. Probably not due to our review, but just that word finally got out, as it surely will for Detente. Tucked away from Edgartown's busy Main Street, the food and service here rank in the top 5 in Edgartown, in our opinion. And it's quiet enough to have a conversation, which pretty much no place is anymore, except the fanciest jacket-and-tie place in town. Great wine list, terrific local seafood, creative appetizers and side dishes, good cheese plate and dessert. Just one question: what's with the weird name? I guess I should ask but we are always too busy savoring our wonderful meal!

Noank, Connecticut
“Service Outshines Food”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Went to Détente on our first night in Martha's Vineyard, based on reviews and menu. Our 8:00 reservation was honored immediately and we were seated upstairs, which had a more bistro feel than downstairs. Service was very good--attentive but not intrusive--and when I told the waiter that I didn't particularly like the wine I ordered, he replaced it with a different one even though I had drunk about half of it. He informed my husband that the veal appetizer he was considering would be big enough for an entrée--and he was right. Unfortunately, the veal was overcooked, but there was certainly plenty of it. Both my salad and main course--a fish dish--were very good. The food and wine are overpriced, but it's Edgartown--all the restaurants are overpriced. Other than our server, there's not much to set Détente apart from many other restaurants in town.

Acton, Massachusetts
“Inconsistent quality”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We just left detente 45 minutes ago. We hadn't been there in at least three years. At the time, the food was excellent. So we were looking forward to a great meal on our last night on the vineyard after a full week of excellent dining experiences.

There were seven people in our party. Four of the meals were good. Not outstanding but good. Though everyone agreed that the meals were at the bottom of our list on the vineyard.

Three of us ordered the pork chop. It was absolutely horrible. The only discernible flavor was salt. Overwhelming saltiness. Inedible saltiness. One might think even a good restaurant can miss the mark on a single item. The problem was that the rest of the dish was even worse. A flavorless, dry meatball with no sauce of any kind on it and a piece of pork belly that was cut too thick, braised and then seared. The pork belly hadn't been rendered. It had so much fat that it was actually difficult to cut. No one ate it. The menu listed black mission figs as an ingredient. They weren't prepared in any way. Each plate had 1/2 of a mission fig that was simply sliced in two and dropped on the plate.

There was also a peach salad with tellegio. A great idea but the salad was dressed with truffle oil. The mild flavor of summer peaches, delicious warm tellegio and fresh arugula....completely overpowered by the strong flavor of truffle.

The insult to injury part...one guest didn't eat, two ate partial meals....293.00 (no bottles wine, just food and cocktails).

• Visited August 2014