“Disappointed, again...”

Ranked #36 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I'm sorry I have to do this but... in the past we have always counted on this restaurant for a good dinner. But the last three times, but in particular the last two times, the experience has been bad. The food totally unacceptable. Not only did it take 25 minutes to get our drinks but the wait for the meal was hours!! And when the dinners came, my husband's prime rib was uncooked (sent back and heated up in what looked like boiling water to come back just as rare) and my dinner, because his took so blessed long, was cold. The sauce had kind of solidified-
We had to complain to the manager, who I must say was great. She was shocked and told us that we did not have to pay for the dinners, but we did have to pay for the drinks and the tip...fine. she really was very apologetic, which was nice of her. So we went back a month later, with our two children, thinking that perhaps they had just had a bad night- it happens. We decided this time, though, to get appetizers and drinks- no entrees.
I had been looking forward to it all day- trying to think of a fun drink to have since we were going out and we had the kids home, festive right? Well I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea thinking it would be fun and festive, how often do you get to have one of those!! It was bourbon and club soda!!! Disappointed in a big way- but I just couldn't bare to complain...I sipped on it but I felt a little angry about it- this place isn't cheap, the drinks and food should be quite good.
The appetizers were eh...nothing special-
So I am afraid we will not be going back for a very long time.
Is there a new chef there? What's changed? Maybe us...

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is "square"...like stuck in the sixties.

Let me keep it simple, order only two items at this restaurant....lobster or prime rib. Don't waste your money on anything else.

This restaurant charges the same prices as many if the very upscale restaurants in Edgartown; but falls far short on food quality and value.

If you are looking for a square deal at this restaurant, you will be extremely disappointed.

2  Thank TraveljohnsonJ
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have been visiting Martha's Vineyard every fall for many years. We are never disappointed when we eat at the Square Rigger. The Swordfish is amazing -- will probably go back for another taste before heading home to Maryland.

Fall squash dish is outstanding too. Yum!

1  Thank catlover08
Reviewed October 1, 2012

When I have a night off, I go to the Rigger. They are consistently wonderful in terms of food, service, and atmosphere.
The menu never changes much, and it's filled with what I call "old-school new england food," but it never disappoints. They have an "open hearth" kitchen, so you can see almost everything that goes on. There are a number of lobster options, salmon, swordfish, Baked Cod (my favorite- in a thick white cause with bread crumbs), a broiled seafood sampler if you can't make up your mind, and TDF Prime Rib that they carve right there for you.
All entrees come with a fresh green salad and all the bread you can eat. Their quahog chowder is homemade and some of the best on the island, and their shrimp cocktail is the best I've ever had (trust me, you've never realized it could be this good).
Top it off with great service (most of the waitresses have been there for years and know their stuff), and a cozy friendly atmosphere, the Rigger feels like home- just with better food,

1  Thank Sarah O
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The proprietor of our inn recommended this place, and I can understand why. It is probably dependable. However, it may not always awe you. I ordered the steamed mussels appetizer, expecting about a dozen for $13. There must have been three dozen in the bowl, with a nice broth, so it is certainly a good value. My husband had the boiled lobster, which was slightly overdone. The bread is fresh, and the salads crisp, but we did not try the desserts. The place was closing down after nine on a mid-week night. The atmosphere was comfortable and quiet, but felt somewhat muted, like a quiet restaurant in a small German town.

1  Thank MomWaller