“Good food... Hold the New Yorkers please”
Review of l'etoile

l'etoile
Reserve with OpenTable
l'etoile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Edgartown, l'etoile offers a casually elegant dining and bar experience l'étoile is a vibrant modern restaurant located in a restored historic whaling captain's house on the island of Martha's Vineyard. Chef-owned & operated, our focus is on guest satisfaction. We offer an inventive, fresh, seasonally-driven menu along with similar lighter fare in the bar. dine in our contemporary, casually elegant dining rooms or outdoors on our festive tented patio. bar-l'étoile is a stylishly intimate and vibrant destination to enjoy a "Startini" or one of our many specialty cocktails or one of 18 wines by the glass before or after dinner. A seat at the lively bar or at your own high-top table - or the porch and adirondack chairs on the lawn in the summer - are the perfect place to have a drink, a relaxed meal or or small plate from the eclectic bar bites menu. our full dinner menu is also offered in the bar.
Reviewed August 21, 2005

My wife and I enjoyed our fourth anniversary at Martha's Vineyard and had a very nice meal at L'etoile. The food, though a bit sparse, was very good. I was rather put off by much of the clientele whose NY pretension exuded from them in a haze of smog that hung over much of the crowd (but maybe I am a bit sensitive). We tried the Chef's tasting menu and had a very nice bottle of wine with our meal. The price tag was rather stiff at $450 for two with wine and drinks before and after the meal. I was also surprised at the lack of bathroom facilities with only one toilet (unisex) that was rather worse for the wear.

5  Thank mariner98

Reviewed July 24, 2005

My Mother , Sister and Brother -in- law had dinner on July 22nd at L'Etoile.
We all thought the dinner was excellent and we really enjoyed the food as well as the beautiful room. We have had dinner at many of the best restaurants in most cities in the world and L'Etoile certainly deserves a place at the top tier.

2  Thank Sinclair36
Reviewed July 13, 2005

I don't know what all the hype is about. We just had dinner at L'Etoile, and it was just average--and at $84 a person save your money! The duck and the venison were overcooked. The sorbet was somewhat icy instead of being smooth. The lobster was good but nothing special. There are much better places on the Island. The service was fine, and as we were staying at the Charlotte Inn, it was convenient. It is a beautiful place, but breakfast at the Charlotte Inn is also served there.

3  Thank trip3333
Reviewed July 10, 2005

What can I say about L'etoile that hasn't already been said? This is THE place on the Island to celebrate special occasions. In fact, we celebrated both our 10 year and 25 year anniversarys there and our son's 26th birthday, as well as simply making diner a special event. This place is the epitome of romantic so if you're getting engaged and don't know where to propose - do it here. The definition of romantic, L'etoile is elegant, Kennedy-clan class - upscale and a tad preppy, so be sure to leave the rowdy NY attitude home or you might get stares. It is surrounded by lush gardens and an iron gate. The lobby rooms - this IS a superb Inn - are laden with aubusson rugs, hunter green walls and lots of fox and the hound art works. The actual dining room resembles a terrarium of brick floor, glass dome, and sparkling candlelight. Weather permitting, dinner is also served in the garden. The service is four-star, friendly and professional. Service is at a nice realxed pace. Now to the food. I have never had a meal at L'etoile that wasn't excellent. I especially love their duck which is served in small medallions that are sweet and succulent. Desserts are impeccacble as well so save room for those too. Order a bottle of Moet Chandon and you are certain to have one of the best dining experiences of your life. This is certainly one of the more expensive restaurants on the Island but it's truly worth the splurge! (Dressy casual)

2  Thank PortabelloRoadChick
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2005

My boyfriend and I went to L'etoile for the first time on June 19th, 2004. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the service overall. After a GREAT dinner, we proceeded out the back door to the beautiful gardens... where he proposed to me (very unexpectingly).
We were invited to go into the Green Room after dinner and the proposal. The very welcoming staff had champagne set up for us in this private room and offered to take our picture. Later that evening my, now fiance and I saw a shooting star high above and needless to say, the night was unforgettable. GREAT PLACE! - thanks for a perfect night.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member