“A truly special meal for a special occasion”
Review of l'etoile

l'etoile
Ranked #2 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Edgartown, l'etoile offers a casually elegant dining and bar experience l'étoile is a vibrant modern restaurant located in a restored historic whaling captain's house on the island of Martha's Vineyard. Chef-owned & operated, our focus is on guest satisfaction. We offer an inventive, fresh, seasonally-driven menu along with similar lighter fare in the bar. dine in our contemporary, casually elegant dining rooms or outdoors on our festive tented patio. bar-l'étoile is a stylishly intimate and vibrant destination to enjoy a "Startini" or one of our many specialty cocktails or one of 18 wines by the glass before or after dinner. A seat at the lively bar or at your own high-top table - or the porch and adirondack chairs on the lawn in the summer - are the perfect place to have a drink, a relaxed meal or or small plate from the eclectic bar bites menu. our full dinner menu is also offered in the bar.
Reviewed June 17, 2014

It is a mark of the most exceptional chefs and restaurants where every last bite of a 7 course chef's tasting menu is wonderful. Dinner at L'etoile this past weekend is one of only 2 I can recall in my life that met this standard-- delicious, balanced, unique, and fresh plates from start to finish.

My fiance and I went to L'etoile to celebrate our engagement earlier that day. I had left a message the week before letting the restaurant know that I wanted to plan something special for the occasion; I was surprised to receive guidance directly from Chef/Owner Michael Brisson, and the night was remarkable at every level-- Beautiful setting in their tented patio space, a flower centerpiece facilitated by an employee who also works at Donarama flower shop (thanks Aubrey!), drinks and our pre-ordered wine bottle at the table, and of course, THE FOOD-- as mentioned above, every bite was remarkable-- the lobster and lamb mains were both perfectly cooked and seasoned, the fois gras was rich and intense and and perfectly cut by a sweet and sharp dessert wine they suggested (I never would have thought of that). They somehow made a flourless chocolate cake with the expected richness, but without the stick-to-your-mouth uncomfortable density that flourless torts often have. And I would never have predicted it in advance, but I think the asparagus with fontana cheese and prosciutto may have been both of our favorite plate of the night.

Maybe the only thing we will remember more vividly than the food was the service and attitude of all the staff-- not an ounce of the affectation or entitlement I have noted at some other top restaurants. Our server Michael was warm, approachable, and knowledgeable. The Sommelier brought us the cork at the end of the meal in case we wanted it to remember the night (we forgot it at the table! Sorry!). And throughout the night, everyone from the hostess, waitstaff, busboys came over with unsolicited and genuine big smiles to congratulate us, to me a reflection of the positive attitudes among the staff, their well-deserved pride in the restaurant, and a culture of service and respect from the top down.

We could not have chosen a better setting for our celebration; L'etoile will likely be our "go-to" for special occasions from now on. Thank you to Chef Brisson and everyone else at the restaurant for making our night so special.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Amazing food, location and Michael the owner is so full of charm and warmth and sincerity. Shows in his food and throughout the staff.

1  Thank Freddie C
Reviewed May 28, 2014

From the moment we walked in the front door we felt comfortable and welcome by the whole staff. The atmosphere is perfect, we felt like we were dining in our living room. I had the rib eye and my wife had the hen. Both of our meals were absolute perfection. We had such a perfect evening we came back the next day for a cocktail at the bar. Our plan was to get a drink to enjoy out on the porch. We we were greeted by Chef Michael Brisson, bartenders Rich and Taylor and ended up having so many laughs we stayed in the bar almost missing our next dinner reservation. We returned to the bar after our dinner to try some more of Rich's creative cocktails - they were all a hit! We will be back this summer on our next trip to the Vineyard - thanks for helping to make our 25th Anniversary such an amazing time!

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Delicious food, great service and beautiful atmosphere! Probably the best lobster I have ever had. Sit outside in the garden, under the lights. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Going into their 29th year, Chef Brisson continues to deliver in an exceptional manner... the flavors are perfect, the service on-target but not overbearing. and a wonderful wine list to accompany the dinner!