“Avoid at all costs”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Initially this second season showed great promise. A new exec chef was brought in who presented some truly original entrees and some stunning plates. I had an excellent meal with friends back in late June; whole grilled fish and scallops w/ roe attached. I have since been back several times and to my dismay watched the scene there devolve into a rowdy bar crowd of mostly young people. The owners seem to be either rank amateurs or perhaps oblivious to the fact that they are well along in the process of dismantling their own business. I witnessed several inebriated patrons screaming obscenities at the TV while the Bruins game was on while both owners stood idly by. Several people dining with younger children were clearly quite distressed by what was happening under the noses of the owners.
Although the dining room is often packed the menu has clearly been 'dumbed down' and the place now caters to the lowest common denominator. It might still be a great place to go for drinks early in the evening but extreme care should be taken by anyone looking for a pleasant meal. The innovative menu has been stripped bare and I'm afraid that the Port Hunter (named after a local shipwreck, I learned) has just sunk a second time. I hope the chef finds an island venue more appreciative of his talents. His skill is being wasted at the Port Hunter

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We dropped into the Port Hunter each evening during our three night stay. The bar staff were friendly and accommodating and made great cocktails. The atmosphere was pleasantly noisy and a lot younger than many other Edgartown hangouts - almost fashionable, in fact! We didn't eat, but the menu looked good, if a little limited.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We live on MV year round and wanted to try this place out, totally disappointed. It was WAY overpriced & the menu had hardly anything to choose from. The price for oysters alone made my mouth drop. I wouldn't mind paying the prices if the food was worth it but it wasn't - my meal was okay, my husbands steak was way over salted. The only good thing I have to say about the place was the calamari was amazing. They are trying to be an upscale modern restaurant in Edgartown(there are many where I would be happy to pay these prices for a meal because its actually something to rave about) but only offering a overpriced crappy meal doesn't put you in that category. Wouldn't go back.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We really like this restaurant. Great food, good atmosphere. It seems to be working out the rough edges and we look forward to coming back here again.

1  Thank Chele32789
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Fish taco's and Fish'n'chips were favorites. I ordered the Seafood platter and barely got through it! Not much of a kids menu, but my kids nibbled on everything and didn't leave too Hungary. Prices are moderate. Fun, lively atmosphere. My waiter was very attentive.

1  Thank Paul K