“Perfect for families with children!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edgartown
Winnetu Oceanside Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Laval, Quebec
“Perfect for families with children!”
Reviewed July 16, 2007

This was our first time on Martha's Vineyard and after researching on TripAdvisor we decided to choose the Winnetu. The Winnetu Resort was everything we hoped for and more. The Winnetu provided well appointed rooms, that were clean and well maintained.

We have two very young children, so we had some trepidation about keeping them busy and comfortable in a hotel room. The grounds provided nice views and the court yard had several fun activities for the children. They enjoyed everything from the giant chess board, to the fooze ball table.

The Winnetu is very family oriented, it's vibrant and teaming with activity during the day, and very quiet at night. Perfect mix of fun and relaxation.

I highly recommend the family section of the Lure Restaurant located on site. The food was good and the play area and children's buffet was a wonderful idea!. My children enjoyed themselves, and we enjoyed a wonderful meal. The staff was also terrific.

The one small complaint I had was the checkin process was a bit disorganized and long drawn.

• Liked — Activities for children
  • Disliked — Checkin process
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Traveled with our family of 6 to Martha's Vineyard. The entire island is expensive. The Winnetu was a very nice hotel.
Pros: Great Location. 300 yards to the beach however it is difficult to see the beach from most places on the island. They don't allow properties right on the beach. When you do get to the beach, it is spectacular and is one of the most relaxing beaches I have been to. Great food at Lure and in Edgartown. Extremely relaxing. If you like to watch sunsets, read books, have a great meal and glass of wine this place is for you. Incredible sunsets, especially near Gay Head. Very very Relaxing!

Cons: Not ideal for kids between 10-18. Pools are tired and activities are geared towards young kids. Ocean is not warm enough until late July. My kids like action, Jetskis, snorkeling, waterparks. They loved how relaxing it was, but it was too stufffy for them. Not and easy destination to get to.

In the end, I enjoyed this as much as Hawaii, although my kids did not. Great spot for adults, just be aware you will spend alot. I would recommend the Winnetu. We will go back, next time it will be just me and the wife. The Ritz its not, but the island is incredible!

Stayed July 2007
california
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed at the Winnetu of the 4th of July holiday. The location is great: you can ride bikes to and from town or take the bus which is cheap and reliable. The beach is a pleasant walk away.

Although the pool is small, our kids (10 and 13) enjoyed the facilities, including ping pong table, putting green, and badminton. My husband and I appreciated the community barbeque and the onsite laundry room.

The staff was friendly, but seemed pretty inexperienced overall. There was a tendency to address problems in an ad hoc manner (i.e., when my daughter informed staff the pool was out of clean towels, staff supplied a few towels but did not restock the pool's supply).

The room (West Chop Suite) was disappointingly small. The master bed is the right at the entry of the suite and only window in the master room opens to the public hallway (as it would in a motor lodge!) However, the view from the common living area was beautiful.

What bothered us the most was how little the place seemed willing to give for the amount of money it charges. When we've spent this much money at other places, there have been perks (i.e. DVD check-out rather than $4 rental fee; complimentary newspaper rather than newspaper for sale; continental breakfast rather than coffee only; complimentary welcome basket in the room rather than bottled water available for sale). The Winnetu seems to rely on location alone.

Stayed July 2007
outside nyc
Reviewed July 6, 2007

The Winnetu is not a super fancy resort but a nice motel with some activities. What the Winnetu has is Location,Location,Location!!! If you have a problem paying 350 to 500 USD for a room, forget about Martha's Vineyard in general! The island is expensive.The pool is tired, the walk to the beach is longer than shown in the pictures of the place. Katana or South beach is a little choppy and cold but the beach between Edgartown/Oaks Bluff is super.It has blue water better than tropical islands. The Winnetu has a clam bake on weds. night that is expensive but great. The staff was helpful especially Zak (name ? ). No problem with Nextel phone service on the island so that was a plus.

Once again, Winnetu is nothing fancy, but it is on Martha's Vineyard.

• Liked — Location!!
  • Disliked — Pool needs updating.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed June 26, 2007

This was our first time on the Vineyard. We booked directly with the resort after reviewing their website. We were seeking a child friendly, upscale resort. In a last minute plan to go, we were able to take advantage of a special rate (3rd night free) just prior to high season. At a rate of $475/night, the average per night seemed to work out fair. High season rates could be another story. The resort has all the amenities you could ask for while traveling with a small child. I understand some of the comments of previous reviews stating that for the price paid per room, you would expect a little more luxury.. but being the Vineyard more casual works and that's what the Vineyard is. The real PROS here are the kids camp, babysitting services (thank you Kerri) and Lure Restaurant (fabulous, although a bit expensive). Being able to enjoy great quality food and wine and have our little one join us and play nearby was great. Having the kids program and babysitting if you want it , really makes for a relaxing vacation. The staff were all very nice. Jennie, Chase and Joshua were all very accomodating.

The room was nice, clean, comfortable bed, and a small kitchen providing convenience. What really surprised us is that although this is a family resort and it was full while we were there, it was very quiet and we weren't disturbed by loud children or unruly adults.

Some minor CONS.. due to limited room availability, we had to switch rooms on our last night, which we had agreed to prior to arrival, but were asked to check out by 10am - AND the other room wouldn't be ready until mid/late afternoon.. that created a little anxiety, but the staff did their best to have the room ready by 2pm for our son's nap. The 10am checkout policy should be re-evaluated. 6 hours between check-in/out is a long time.. perhaps more help with maid service? The beach is a bit far but works fine and motivates for long walks. For the price paid some may expect to be on the ocean or hear it, but the many other amenities offered compensate.

We will return again! Thanks Winnetu.

• Liked — Kid's Camp, Lure Restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Camden, ME
Reviewed June 11, 2007

We were truly impressed with both the facility and and ambience. Our suite catered to our desire to relax, from the views to the books to the lavender bear on the bed. The general store offered a good and quick breakfast, allowing us to get out early to explore beaches and island roads. But it was the Lure Restaurant that really exceeded our expectations, from the oysters-done-two-ways to the scallops, together with the quiet but attentive service. Brava!!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
New London, Ct
Reviewed June 9, 2007

I use trip advisor for all my vacation plans so I feel obliged to finally write my own review. We noticed the Winnetu reviews are very mixed so we try to give the benefit of doubt. In fact, upon submitting this review, I notice 2 brand new conflicting reviews. Based on our recent experience, we have to report there’s a problem here. My wife and I are well traveled, including abroad, but love our local attractions as well, particularly the cape and islands. I must admit I prefer the Vineyard to Nantucket. I have brought my family to the Vineyard almost every summer for the past 15 years. My wife has been coming even longer and one of our first trips to the Vineyard together was to the Mattakesett property in the late 80’s. For the past several years we have rented private homes all over the island but mostly Katama. Now that our kids are all in college, we decided to take an early summer trip to the Winnetu, “sans children”. The Winnetu is the new luxury component of the old Mattakesett and has received a lot of awards.

Let me start with the positives…clearly the location is number one, it is only 2 blocks from South Beach, 3/4 mile away. Sort of in a nice residential community. The hotel is charming and is had an old world sense with the antiques cars you see them use. Most of the staff is very friendly. The gifts shop all sorts of fun items. The rooms are fresh and have little kitchens. The grounds are vast. The food (dinner) in the restaurant was very good. They have a game room and a fun chess board. It is in a great cycling area, ¾ mile to the beach and is about a five mile ride to town.

But there are a few problems, the reservation process is really bizarre. Long conversations and big signed contracts. I have never experience anything like that before. Upon arrival the desk is spacy, distracted and abrupt. They are all a little confused. The rooms are very expensive for what you get and I am sorry but as other reviewers put it, a little motelish. The view is scant. It really is a very long walk to the beach to carry all your stuff. There is no room service, luggage retrieval, turndown. Once you are checked in, you are on your own. Dinner, again the food was very good, was overpriced. Service did not match the food and took to long. We decided to take in a sunset on our deck the first night, you really can not see it without leaning from your deck. We did not have a similar situation of “hearing the sounds of nature” that I see another reviewer was lucky to have. Instead we heard the loud guest above us enjoying their libations, you could see them through the decking. And a happy, but noisy, child turning the grounds into a playground. Not our kind of nature for the price but it was fun watching the kid make a scene.

We went for a fun weekend time together and we had a fun time together. We love the island and came home relaxed. The Winnetu was nice but really positions itself as more than what it is and by the time you get there, its too late. Please bear in mind, our sensitivities are that we had an expectation of a luxury resort due to the prices they charge. For that price it should not be just “nice”. We don’t mind spending the money, my wife makes sport of it. We take a few “breaks” a year at similarly priced and up hotels or resorts and understand they do not always have great days. Our experience on the Vineyard tells us there is something wrong with how the Winnetu gets you, we reflected back on the unusual contract during the reservation process.

We did notice the Harborview is under a complete renovation with a new kids program, hmmm taking a swing at the Winnetu??. We will perhaps give them a try in the fall. I must say that we will be back to the Winnetu for the good food though.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not worth the price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
OwnerWin, Owner at Winnetu Oceanside Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2007
I am the owner of Winnetu Oceanside Resort. My wife and I built our resort because we love Martha’s Vineyard and wanted to provide a special "Vineyard style" destination for visitors to the Island. Our door has been open for seven seasons and we have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know people from all over the world. We are always happy to greet our many repeat guests some of whom have come back every year for the past seven years. Therefore, it pains me to read a Trip Advisor review where we do not seem to have provided the experience that we set out to give.

In our reservations process we provide many details about our property that are rarely provided by other hotels. We highlight that our distance from the beach is 250 yards. Local regulations preclude building on the beach in order to protect the fragile environment. Thus, we are fortunate that we are the only hotel property at South Beach and the closest property to a beach on the entire Island. The Winnetu is located in a quiet, rural area, 3 miles via bicycle path to Main Street, Edgartown.

Our room descriptions are also highlighted in our reservation information. Almost all of our accommodations are full suites offering a living/dining area, a kitchenette, and a deck or patio and average 435 square feet of living space. Our Inn was designed for outside access to the rooms to preserve the Island feeling of openness and airiness.

In early June, with out third night free special offer, the rate that most guests are paying for our typical suite, accommodating two adults and two to three children, is $273 per night. We offer help with bags and luggage carts for those who like to handle their bags themselves. While we do not currently offer room or turndown service, we do encourage our guests to swim in our heated pool, play tennis, work out in our fitness room, enjoy our yoga and stretching classes and guided walks to Edgartown, use our shuttle service to Edgartown, enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, plan activities with our concierge, ponder life size chess and practice putting on our lawn, curl up with a book in our comfy library, ride our old fashioned fire truck and walk our winding path to South Beach – all complimentary. We believe all of these experiences provide great value for our guests.

Dining in our Lure Restaurant is a culinary experience, focusing on farm and sea to table cuisine and using fresh local ingredients, under the direction of our Chef. Our restaurant prices are consistent with prices at any of the finer restaurants in Edgartown but we must make sure that our service meets the same criteria. Unlike other restaurants, we also offer a unique separate dining room experience for families with a specially priced kids’ buffet and “make your own” ice cream sundae bar.

Our General Manager, the staff and I are committed to providing our guests with a wonderful and memorable vacation experience. I could go on but what I really want to say is that we were disappointed that we did not have a chance to address this reviewer’s issues on the spot. We love to hear from our guests – in conversation and in every single survey that they leave with us. We learn from their suggestions and concerns and enjoy their many compliments. Feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Owner and Managing Director
Winnetu Oceanside Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House