“great trip”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edgartown
Winnetu Oceanside Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Reviewed July 6, 2007

The Winnetu is not a super fancy resort but a nice motel with some activities. What the Winnetu has is Location,Location,Location!!! If you have a problem paying 350 to 500 USD for a room, forget about Martha's Vineyard in general! The island is expensive.The pool is tired, the walk to the beach is longer than shown in the pictures of the place. Katana or South beach is a little choppy and cold but the beach between Edgartown/Oaks Bluff is super.It has blue water better than tropical islands. The Winnetu has a clam bake on weds. night that is expensive but great. The staff was helpful especially Zak (name ? ). No problem with Nextel phone service on the island so that was a plus.

Once again, Winnetu is nothing fancy, but it is on Martha's Vineyard.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dandevildude

Reviewed June 26, 2007

This was our first time on the Vineyard. We booked directly with the resort after reviewing their website. We were seeking a child friendly, upscale resort. In a last minute plan to go, we were able to take advantage of a special rate (3rd night free) just prior to high season. At a rate of $475/night, the average per night seemed to work out fair. High season rates could be another story. The resort has all the amenities you could ask for while traveling with a small child. I understand some of the comments of previous reviews stating that for the price paid per room, you would expect a little more luxury.. but being the Vineyard more casual works and that's what the Vineyard is. The real PROS here are the kids camp, babysitting services (thank you Kerri) and Lure Restaurant (fabulous, although a bit expensive). Being able to enjoy great quality food and wine and have our little one join us and play nearby was great. Having the kids program and babysitting if you want it , really makes for a relaxing vacation. The staff were all very nice. Jennie, Chase and Joshua were all very accomodating.

The room was nice, clean, comfortable bed, and a small kitchen providing convenience. What really surprised us is that although this is a family resort and it was full while we were there, it was very quiet and we weren't disturbed by loud children or unruly adults.

Some minor CONS.. due to limited room availability, we had to switch rooms on our last night, which we had agreed to prior to arrival, but were asked to check out by 10am - AND the other room wouldn't be ready until mid/late afternoon.. that created a little anxiety, but the staff did their best to have the room ready by 2pm for our son's nap. The 10am checkout policy should be re-evaluated. 6 hours between check-in/out is a long time.. perhaps more help with maid service? The beach is a bit far but works fine and motivates for long walks. For the price paid some may expect to be on the ocean or hear it, but the many other amenities offered compensate.

We will return again! Thanks Winnetu.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank CB10019
Reviewed June 11, 2007

We were truly impressed with both the facility and and ambience. Our suite catered to our desire to relax, from the views to the books to the lavender bear on the bed. The general store offered a good and quick breakfast, allowing us to get out early to explore beaches and island roads. But it was the Lure Restaurant that really exceeded our expectations, from the oysters-done-two-ways to the scallops, together with the quiet but attentive service. Brava!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2007

I use trip advisor for all my vacation plans so I feel obliged to finally write my own review. We noticed the Winnetu reviews are very mixed so we try to give the benefit of doubt. In fact, upon submitting this review, I notice 2 brand new conflicting reviews. Based on our recent experience, we have to report there’s a problem here. My wife and I are well traveled, including abroad, but love our local attractions as well, particularly the cape and islands. I must admit I prefer the Vineyard to Nantucket. I have brought my family to the Vineyard almost every summer for the past 15 years. My wife has been coming even longer and one of our first trips to the Vineyard together was to the Mattakesett property in the late 80’s. For the past several years we have rented private homes all over the island but mostly Katama. Now that our kids are all in college, we decided to take an early summer trip to the Winnetu, “sans children”. The Winnetu is the new luxury component of the old Mattakesett and has received a lot of awards.

Let me start with the positives…clearly the location is number one, it is only 2 blocks from South Beach, 3/4 mile away. Sort of in a nice residential community. The hotel is charming and is had an old world sense with the antiques cars you see them use. Most of the staff is very friendly. The gifts shop all sorts of fun items. The rooms are fresh and have little kitchens. The grounds are vast. The food (dinner) in the restaurant was very good. They have a game room and a fun chess board. It is in a great cycling area, ¾ mile to the beach and is about a five mile ride to town.

But there are a few problems, the reservation process is really bizarre. Long conversations and big signed contracts. I have never experience anything like that before. Upon arrival the desk is spacy, distracted and abrupt. They are all a little confused. The rooms are very expensive for what you get and I am sorry but as other reviewers put it, a little motelish. The view is scant. It really is a very long walk to the beach to carry all your stuff. There is no room service, luggage retrieval, turndown. Once you are checked in, you are on your own. Dinner, again the food was very good, was overpriced. Service did not match the food and took to long. We decided to take in a sunset on our deck the first night, you really can not see it without leaning from your deck. We did not have a similar situation of “hearing the sounds of nature” that I see another reviewer was lucky to have. Instead we heard the loud guest above us enjoying their libations, you could see them through the decking. And a happy, but noisy, child turning the grounds into a playground. Not our kind of nature for the price but it was fun watching the kid make a scene.

We went for a fun weekend time together and we had a fun time together. We love the island and came home relaxed. The Winnetu was nice but really positions itself as more than what it is and by the time you get there, its too late. Please bear in mind, our sensitivities are that we had an expectation of a luxury resort due to the prices they charge. For that price it should not be just “nice”. We don’t mind spending the money, my wife makes sport of it. We take a few “breaks” a year at similarly priced and up hotels or resorts and understand they do not always have great days. Our experience on the Vineyard tells us there is something wrong with how the Winnetu gets you, we reflected back on the unusual contract during the reservation process.

We did notice the Harborview is under a complete renovation with a new kids program, hmmm taking a swing at the Winnetu??. We will perhaps give them a try in the fall. I must say that we will be back to the Winnetu for the good food though.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank wachtup
OwnerWin, Owner at Winnetu Oceanside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2007

I am the owner of Winnetu Oceanside Resort. My wife and I built our resort because we love Martha’s Vineyard and wanted to provide a special "Vineyard style" destination for visitors to the Island. Our door has been open for seven seasons and we have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know people from all over the world. We are always happy to greet our many repeat guests some of whom have come back every year for the past seven years. Therefore, it pains me to read a Trip Advisor review where we do not seem to have provided the experience that we set out to give.

In our reservations process we provide many details about our property that are rarely provided by other hotels. We highlight that our distance from the beach is 250 yards. Local regulations preclude building on the beach in order to protect the fragile environment. Thus, we are fortunate that we are the only hotel property at South Beach and the closest property to a beach on the entire Island. The Winnetu is located in a quiet, rural area, 3 miles via bicycle path to Main Street, Edgartown.

Our room descriptions are also highlighted in our reservation information. Almost all of our accommodations are full suites offering a living/dining area, a kitchenette, and a deck or patio and average 435 square feet of living space. Our Inn was designed for outside access to the rooms to preserve the Island feeling of openness and airiness.

In early June, with out third night free special offer, the rate that most guests are paying for our typical suite, accommodating two adults and two to three children, is $273 per night. We offer help with bags and luggage carts for those who like to handle their bags themselves. While we do not currently offer room or turndown service, we do encourage our guests to swim in our heated pool, play tennis, work out in our fitness room, enjoy our yoga and stretching classes and guided walks to Edgartown, use our shuttle service to Edgartown, enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, plan activities with our concierge, ponder life size chess and practice putting on our lawn, curl up with a book in our comfy library, ride our old fashioned fire truck and walk our winding path to South Beach – all complimentary. We believe all of these experiences provide great value for our guests.

Dining in our Lure Restaurant is a culinary experience, focusing on farm and sea to table cuisine and using fresh local ingredients, under the direction of our Chef. Our restaurant prices are consistent with prices at any of the finer restaurants in Edgartown but we must make sure that our service meets the same criteria. Unlike other restaurants, we also offer a unique separate dining room experience for families with a specially priced kids’ buffet and “make your own” ice cream sundae bar.

Our General Manager, the staff and I are committed to providing our guests with a wonderful and memorable vacation experience. I could go on but what I really want to say is that we were disappointed that we did not have a chance to address this reviewer’s issues on the spot. We love to hear from our guests – in conversation and in every single survey that they leave with us. We learn from their suggestions and concerns and enjoy their many compliments. Feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Owner and Managing Director
Winnetu Oceanside Resort

Reviewed May 31, 2007

I am a bit surprised at some of these reviews I am reading here. This was our second trip to this resort, last summer we stayed in the Mattakesett Condos for 2 weeks (LOVED IT) and this time in the Winnetu Hotel (4 nights), This is an amazing place for children, we have three girls (4, 3, 1) and they had a ball. If you are looking for a gaudy, snooty, showy place this isn't the place for you. It is immaculate, the service is great, food awesome, and as far as I'm concerned the location is second to none.

If you are looking for a true vacation to get away from it all, this is the place for you. It is off the beaten path from the center of Edgartown, but only about 3.5 miles away which is nothing. We love bike riding (my husband does it competitively) and this is an awesome location for that. At night you can sit out on your deck or patio and just listen to the birds chirping and all the other sounds of nature.

The summer months are great, tons of activities for the kids, they can attend a ‘camp’ from 9 AM – 12 PM 5 days a week if you wish (included) where they do tons of activities. We didn’t utilize this service very much because we were busy doing other things, our daughter did attend it once and really liked it. The counselors are wonderful; we would see them around all the time with kids by the pool, etc. They also work the Clam Bake, which was awesome (I would say an absolute must if you are there on a Wednesday night, well worth it) as well as the Friday BBQ where they play fun games with the kids, etc.

I could go on and on, I know we will be coming back for sure. It is really a rare find on the Vineyard, just great wholesome fun, all the amenities right there for you. I have to say that we love to travel and have been privy to stay at several 5 Star Luxury Hotels (I will leave nameless) in the U.S. and Europe and this place meets the standards of anywhere we have stayed, it is just different. The Vineyard is different, you won’t find many other beach locations anywhere with this much untouched beauty, left untainted by fast food chains/hotel chains left and right - they don’t exist here for a reason. That is what the Vineyard is all about...

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank 5peasinapod
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We spent a few days on Martha’s Vineyard at the Winnetu and found it disappointing. It is really just an overpriced motel. First of all we know from previous experience the Vineyard is expensive but the Winnetu pushes it to another level. They charge prices comparable to Ritz and Four Seasons but all you get is a motel room. To be fair, the room was freshly painted and had new carpet but to do that could not have cost them more than what they charge for 3 nights. I now see others that felt the same would have warned me if I had checked Trip Advisor first. People who book should know it is not a resort, it is a triple decker motel that is close to the beach. I agree with other reviewers, it is not as close as you may think. Grounds are nice, the front yard has a pond and plenty of space for the kids. However, half of the lawn is covered with sewer manholes and it smells gaseuous. They have a fun chess board but the pool you would consider ridiculous by luxury standards. If you choose the beach be careful of strong currents and bring a cart, it is a far walk. Still too cold for us. They do have some friendly staff but as friendly as they are they do not provide anything close to high end service. Apparently in the summer the include babysitting services and a daycare camp but other than that no bell staff, no room service, no mini bar, no attention to detail, no lunch…etc. You are so far from town you are obliged to try the restaurant. OK food, good wine, OK service, just average overall with a few kinks to work out before summer. Naturally, prices are not lower as they sort them out appetizers start at $16 and entrees start at $35. Again, if we did not know what we should expect at these prices we may have felt different. Unfortunately for the Winnetu, we do know.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank suprmom
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We decided to jump start our spring fever with a trip to Martha’s Vineyard. Our web search brought us to the Winnetu resort. It had good TA reviews and looked exactly like what we needed, oops we made a mistake. Perhaps we should have complained, but we did not. We knew it was not what we expected but convinced ourselves the weather got us down. When we were back at home and looked at the website again, we knew we were had. Just did not expect such a difference from what the web suggests.

First of all, we were not on the beach. We could see it at breakfast but you had to cross two roads to get to it. Not a big deal because it was not beach weather but come on! We drove to it! The new adventure and workout center is a weight room about a mile away. That must be the adventure part. We felt like we were far away from everything, good think we had a car. The “famous” restaurant was not fine dining, in fact they call it a bistro at the resort. It wasn’t horrible but I would like to see that 3 star review, don’t believe it could happen. Not in the NY area at least. I would try the other restaurants in town. Service is very sketchy. No place for lunch, breakfast was pretty good though. I guess we expected resort services. Rooms were nice motel rooms, in fact they were the best part. New, we were told, but not very luxurious. Staff was friendly and helpful. Management seemed a bit off like there was some crisis going on, all the time.

We were not trying to have a summer experience in the off season. We knew it would be different but we felt misled and would not book again. Maybe it is much better in the summer but I can not see it change that much to justify the expense. Next time, we will go to Bermuda. It won’t cost us any more!!

• Stayed: May 2007
7  Thank gtaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Nashua House Hotel
Nashua House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Winnetu Oceanside Resort? Share your experiences!