“Great place, questionable fire drill” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Winnetu Oceanside Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edgartown
Winnetu Oceanside Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great place, questionable fire drill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the hotel the week prior to Columbus Day. We booked an East Cop Queen suite 307 overlooking the ocean. We could watch the sun rise and set from the room. Very nice.

We were one of maybe three groups staying at the hotel which was nice for us as we were on a romantic vacation. I'm sure the resort would be a great one to stay at during season, and especially with children of all ages. They seemed very family oriented. I noticed signs around the property encouraging guests to be polite and respectful of others i.e quiet time after 9pm etc. Nice to see they make an effort. Bike path to town at main entrance to property.

Staff was helpful. Minor Maintanence issue handled well with maintanence staff calling to follow up to make sure we were happy. Concierge was very good with recommendations fitting our tastes.

Only one change would have been nice. Just after a shower the fire alarm went off throughout the whole resort. We could only assume it was a real event and since the structures seemed to have classic wood shingles etc we thought we better get out of there fast. We were running around the room trying to get the essentials to take with us etc. Once outside we were told it was a drill. Hey...if you don't want a naked 50 year old guy throwing clothes, luggage, and maybe even furniture off the balcony you should tell me that it is a drill!!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at the Winnetu Oceanside Resort immediately after Labor Day, which is Parent/Toddler Week. The resort offers activities for the pre-K crowd with accommodations at reduced rates. Overall, we loved our stay there and were impressed by the number of amenities available to small children, including a trip to the local farm to see the animals; a trip to Felix Sanctuary where the kids used nets to fish for sand crabs, shells, and small fish in the pond there; a huge playroom with toys; rides on an antique fire truck; cookies and lemonade daily; face painting; and much more. The resort is whimsical and fun! We also found our room to be extremely clean, albeit small at approx. $400/night. Our only semi-negative experience was that the hotel advertises a family room in their restaurant, but it appears not to be in much use during dinner after Labor Day. On one night, when we didn't have reservations, we were told we couldn't sit in the family room even though no one was in there. Upon questionning to the restaurant manager, we were eventually seated but then we were told to keep the noise level down because there was a group of elderly diners in the maining dining room. The hotel does offer free breakfast buffets, though, after Labor Day which compensated for the lack of dinner accommodations for families with young children.

• Liked — extremely family-oriented, clean
  • Disliked — small room for the price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

Stayed at the Winnetu for 4 nights with our 5 year old and 1 year old and loved it.
Our room on the ground floor provided easy access to the lawn for frisbee or outdoor activites. Small kitchen was great for easy snacks/meals.
Our son loved the firetruck rides, face painting, and the clown that was at the Weds night clambake.
Poolside grill was delicious and offered healthy and fresh selections.
Hotel is great for adults who love good food and have little ones. Minnows provided Lure's menu for the adults with a good kid's meal selection, as well as a little appetizer buffet for our 4 year old with heathy selections.
Beach access easy because we rented jog strollers from the company recommended from Winnetu, although having our car was a bonus bc there are other beaches with calmer water more conducive to swimming for little ones and acccessible by car.
As previous reviewers noted, the resort is costly in high season, but the owner delivers a great service.
We plan on returning next year.
Only negative is that although attentive, we felt that housekeeping could have been a little cleaner with floors, carpet and patio, and we did write that on our review in the hopes that it will be rectified.

• Liked — great resort/great food
  • Disliked — semi-celan floors/carpet (I have a baby)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

We took our family of four here at the end of our two week summer vacation for three nights. From the website it looked like a nice place so we splurged and got a suite for $700 a night. The property is large and nice, but not luxury. The room had a nice balcony with a view of the ocean, but overall the room was rather small and non descript for the price.

The hotel restaurant, Lure, is fantastic for a gourmet meal, but again be ready to pay for it.

There are lots of fun kid or family activities like a clambake and life size chess board and the concierge can arrange for offsite activities (e.g. bike rentals can be dropped off at the hotel for you).

We had a car so going into town was no big deal. We also rented bikes one day as a way to get into town.

We heard about some cliffs on the west end of the island at Menemsha and Acquinna. Both places were big disappointments compared to the shops of Edgartown and the gingerbread houses and restaurants of Oak Bluffs.

• Stayed July 2008
Shazam1973
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

We recently stayed at the Winnetu for our first anniversary. The hotel reservations area told us they would provide transportation to and from Edgartown center which did not happen. The hotel is 3 miles away from the center of town and there were no shuttle buses. Also, the public transportation did not run often and was a good distance from the hotel entrance - don't try this with luggage. Be warned that you should rent a car. There were two weddings the week end we stayed and we were woken up several times throughout the night to loud noises from drunk wedding guests. Too bad because the resort was beautiful and the people were nice but the above experiences would not bring us back or recommend it to anyone else.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Location misrepresenation
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

Wow!!! I made my reservations after researching all the other suite hotels on Martha's Vineyard. I considered renting a house for $12,000 a week without a pool, but thought that was crazy so reserved a one-bedroom suite at the Winnetu. I was stunned at all the richness at the resort, but its obviously not Las Vegas or the Caribbean or the Ritz Carlton richness that other tripadvisors.com reviewers were looking for - they wrote negative reviews about the Winnetu and nearly scared me into canceling my reservation. The Winnetu is NOT a motel as one review said. Its not overly expensive, as other reviews said, I just paid $290 for one night at the Embassy Suites in Boston and got nothing like what I've experienced at the Winnetu. Martha's Vineyard is not like the Bahamas, and the Winnetu is not the hyper-luxurious, hyper-active Atlantis Hotel. But it is an amazing, soothing, peaceful place, and the reviews I read on this webpage do it a great disservice. It is a gorgeous resort, totally in keeping with the architectural design limitations that Martha's Vineyard is known for, a perfect shingled series of buildings. I came with my three kids. All the appliances in our suite are new, the bed has a feather bed mattress and a light and fluffy down comforter. I love the deep blue-gray accent walls in the white rooms. The bathroom is nice and the shower is great. There is elaborate Victorian trim around all the doors and windows, so its nice to sit in the room and relax. Outside of our ground floor room, on one side, is badminton, a putting green, a turtle pond and a lawn big enough for football throwing. Outside of the other side is a huge chess board and pieces, a ping pong table, an atrium with board games and foos ball table, plus a very nice pool. No where on Martha's Vineyard has a huge pool, and Massachusetts has liquor laws, so expecting a swim up bar is unrealistic on the island. The pool is lovely and it has a lunch place right next to it where I sat and ate grilled prawns and scallops when my kids got out of the pool. There is an 8 minute straight walk to the beach (South beach) , and the Winnetu offers all kinds of beach toys, boogie boards, sun shades and even carts to roll things out to the beach to make it easy for you to enjoy the sun, sand and surf. My kids never ever go to kid programs, not in Hawaii, Mexico, no where. They were thrilled to read the extensive activity list for the FREE kids' program at the Winnetu and have woken themselves up each day to get to the lobby on time, with no help from me. Shocking! I chalk it up to the great staff and the interesting things the kids do, and it has given me free time I have never had since having kids. Most kid programs are $50 a day per child, so I was shocked and delighted to find that the morning activities were free... The Winnetu has a shuttle in to Edgartown, so no car is needed on the island, and the island bus system is great. They give all kinds of advice for activities outside of the resort. We have friends who rented an expensive house nearby and their kids are chagrined to hear the great things that my kids do every single day at the Winnetu. We rented bikes and don't ever need them except to mess around between the main property and the kids' activity center. Oh yes, there are two tennis courts outside the front door of the Winnetu (free rental racquets and tennis balls are available at the front desk, as are free rental putters and golf balls for the putting green) and they have an organized trip to kayak at a nearby pond, a lighthouse and dune trip, a clambake, friday night potluck bbq... You know, I could go on and on and on about this place. I'm still here. My daughter just brought me a warm cookie that she was given - the staff just set up a cookie and lemonade table by the ping pong area and there are free rides for kids on the Winnetu old fire truck... We don't leave for a few more days and this has by far been the most peaceful, magical, fun vacation I've had with my kids in years. I feel sorry for the staff here when tripadvisor.com members write negative reviews because they expect a place to be other than it is. Martha's Vineyard is beautiful, the Winnetu is a fantastic family resort.

• Liked — Beauty of the location and tons of free things for my kids to do
  • Disliked — there isn't anything that I dislike
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank MomWriter
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

Stayed at the winnetu resort and had a great time. The staff there was excellent, and I'd like to thank Kirk, Jenni, and Josh at the front desk for making our trip so great. Also we'd like to thank Chase for the wonderful bike tour that he gave us to Oak Bluffs. Great location and great service, keep up the great work, and we'll be back there again next year.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank somerlivin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
The Hob Knob
The Hob Knob
#1 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Winnetu Oceanside Resort? Share your experiences!