“Loved This Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Winnetu Oceanside Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edgartown
Winnetu Oceanside Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Lithonia , Ga
“Loved This Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for Labor Day weekend. We arrived late on Friday evening after 11pm, everything seemed quiet and shut down. The two front desk folks were so kind to be sure we were welcomed, offered to open the general store if we needed anything. The resort was quiet and clean. There were families there, kids were well behaved and just being kids. The shuttle bus was very convenient, as we made several trips to down town Edgartown. The beach was a convenient 10 minute walk.
As a response to the previous review about breakfast. Unfortunately, the reviewer didn't enjoy a lovely breakfast in the Lure restaurant. We enjoyed prepared omelettes and full breakfast there. We also had an elegant dinner at the Lure restaurant. The restaurant was right above the lobby, how did they miss that?
My husband and I can't wait to return to Martha's Vineyard, when we do we will stay at the Winnetu!

Room Tip: Stay in the garden suites/cottages for couples.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just returned from an amazing family vacation at the Winnetu. We stayed in the Townhouses that are across the street from (but part of) the Winnetu and this was a perfect choice for a family. We were close to the kids club, which was the best run program we have seen. Children were broken up by age into four groups (plus there was a additional toddler program), so everything was age appropriate. Also there were free tennis clinics the kids could attend each morning before the kids program (which ran 9-10). There were different activities and outings each day, which included visits to a local farm, fire station, beach (for exploring nature, not swimming), turtle ponds, etc. The kids made so many friends, and even our 3.5 year old had a blast. The big kids (I think up to 12 years), had an amazing time with the sports and activities. The counselors were warm and made the kids comfortable. Our children also did the night program a few times, where they can arrive at 5:30, do an art project, have dinner, and watch age appropriate movies with friends until 9:30.

My husband and I were able to have real dinners and quiet time, and go for walks on the beach or work out in the morning (or even have coffee and read the paper). We also were rested and able to spend real quality time with the girls on the beach or exploring the rest of the island in the afternoons. The 3 bedroom townhouse had 2.5 bathrooms and was spotless when we checked in. Parking was easy - directly in front of the townhouse. There were plenty of bath towels. Also we could watch the kids on the playground or pop over to the pool for quick swims. The homes all have different decor, but ours was very beachy, low key, and comfortable. Everything worked, and it was nice to have a washer dryer, outdoor shower, and grill.

I would visit the Stop n Shop in town to pick up necessities, and we liked making breakfast at home and saved quite a bit of money by making the kids lunch at home and could splurge on nice dinners or other things.

We did the clam bake at the hotel and it was fantastic and included a lobster, and the kids loved the dessert bar and s'mores. Also, they had an animal expert come in who was very educational and entertaining for the kids and adults. Food quality was great, and Owner and Manager greeted guests and gave advice on island outing. Our dinner at the hotel was wonderful and one of the bartenders colored with our kids so we could finish dinner. Huge open spaces by the hotel were perfect for kids running around, and my oldest had a blast playing chess with the life size pieces & chess board.

Btw, we took our car, but many people used the easy bus public bus service that runs all the time into town and said it was a breeze. You do need to either bring or rent beach towels, chairs, etc. It was very easy to get to Edgartown and we visited lots of great places in Vineyard Haven & Oaks Bluffs. The kids loved mini golf and rock climbing.

The townhouse had a nice large master suite, two smaller rooms with two twin beds in each, and all were comfy. Plenty of extra pillows and blankets.

If you are traveling with children under 12, there isn't a better place to stay. We've spent years in the Hamptons & on the NH beaches and this was by far the most relaxed and fun. It was easy for the children to be safely entertained and for us to relax as well. The staff was uniformly delightful and helpful. Not a single grumpy person on staff.

Room Tip: If you are have children, choose a townhouse close to the kids club, (C or D) if you don't have...
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Best place to stay on Martha's Vineyard with a family ~ close to South Beach (rated top beach in USA) and bike trail. We biked everywhere no need for car that was left parked on mainland. My son said that we don't need cars bikes can get you everywhere you want to go !

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank peggy123456
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a great hotel for families. I 've come here a few times and will keep returning.
The room is nice and comfortable, the restaurant has really good food and the adjacent children's play area and very patient staff allow parents to enjoy their meals in peace.
The pool area is small, but there are 2 pools, so I guess when it is crowded one can go to the other one. The staff is VERY accommodating and helpful.
My only complaint is the lack of a real breakfast. I would strongly recommend opening the restaurant for breakfast. Even a buffet would help.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult review to draft. I sandwiched this three day stay between a short inter island vacation in Kona Hawaii on the beach at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows for Fourth of July week and a four day stay late July at the Ritz Carlton in the Boston and followed by a four day stay in early August in Coronado California at a medium priced nonchain hotel. All different types of places.
I am originally from Cape Cod left there 25 years ago so I get the fact it is peak season in Edgartown in the summer just prior to our President arriving. I also understand in my travels that often you are comparing apples and oranges when traveling so you need to be reasonable and objective as possible in doing these reviews.

I also get the fact that the hotel( actually a motel) was nearly full so they can apparently get 1.500 a night for a one bedroom and 900 for a small second floor " ocean view" room. But, traveling as much as I do on a yearly basis, I do not see the value for what you get here. It is a niced sized property but it is a basic old two story motel a quarter mile or more from the beach. i would recommend instead renting a vacation home if you love the Vineyard and who wouldn't or doesn't particularly in the summer. . For two rooms I paid with tax 2,500 a night for my family of four (my wife and I and two young children) and my parents. Do the math for a one week stay or more. Makes no sense for what you get. Our one bedroom cottage was 1,500 a night but small maybe 800 sq ft; no view; next to the parking lot; little privacy there no beach towels provided but they give you small beach chairs to bring to the beach.

It costs 25 dollars for my eight year old to rent a bike for a couple of hours from the motel. 100 dollars per person to eat at a clambake and byob. 10-20 dollars to rent a plastic beach umbrella to take to the beach. Can you imagine the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton in either Maui, Kona, Island of lanai or the Big Island or anywhere else charging you to rent a plastic beach umbrella even at their high season rate at 900 a night in the winter. I felt nickeled and dimed, and hey look I understand cash flow and the season is basically 10 weeks here but still!

I suppose with just a couple vacationing for a few days it may make sense but I am not sure. The pool is small. The poolside is very plain no cushions shade etc. the pool food service food at the pool grill very reasonably priced but not very good either.

I did not mind the 1/4-1/2 mile walk to the beach but after a few days I suppose it can get old especially if you have young kids. The staff was very very good and very friendly we loved them . I wonder what the statistics are for returning families? Would be interesting what percentage of many families think their stay was such a value that they actually returned again for an APPRECIABLE STAY?

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank hnllaw60982
resorttraveler44, Owner at Winnetu Oceanside Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
This guest stayed with us from August 6-9, 2013 in two suites, a main building accommodation and a separate cottage, in total, accommodating 6 persons. Although I am glad the guest liked our friendly staff, I am disappointed that the guest did not feel they received value for their experience. Our staff remembers them well and as they had offered no complaints during their stay, were surprised to see this Trip Advisor review.

Martha's Vineyard is a very popular destination during the summer months and is probably more expensive than the other locations this guest has visited. We run, on average, at 95% occupancy and the vast majority of our guests our repeat customers- who come to stay with us year after year.

The main building of the hotel is new, built in 2000 and the cottage the guest stayed in was built last year. We work very hard at keeping everything clean, nice and up to date so I was disappointed that the guest perceived our property to be "old".

I thought the guest's suggestion not to charge for beach umbrella's is a good one. We do charge $7, not $25 for the use of these, however, we will re-visit this policy as this guest had a good idea! We do not rent bicycles as we have determined that using an outside bike expert means the quality and consistency is better and have done so for the past 10 years. There are probably 100 bikes on our property on any given day with happy guests enjoying the miles of island bike paths that start from our resort.

As far as the clambake goes, this is our signature event, and I am sorry that this guest saw the price and didn't attend- had they attended they would have seen the value. This event is always a sell-out. As a New Englander himself this guest must be aware that a lobster entree in a restaurant costs in the range of $45 plus tax and gratuity.. Our clambake includes bountiful appetizer and dessert buffets, 1 1/2 lb native lobster, steamed mussels, little neck clams, Char grilled Tenderloin of Beef, Chipolet-honey BBQ chicken; burgers, hot dogs, a show, entertainment and S'mores on the campfire. The clambake is a warm family experience and a genuine taste of New England.

Mark Snider
Owner
telephone: 508-310-9922 ext. 7837
msnider@stanmar-inc.com
Norfolk, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 4 nights the last week in July. The hotel and grounds are very nicely kept. It is basically a very upscale motel. You can't beat the location, which is very close to South Beach. The staff is very nice and attentive. It's all very nice. However, there are a few things that this hotel should address that would make it top-notch.

First, they could do a lot more with activities. Although they say that there are plenty of activities, in my mind, there aren't enough. For example, there should be poolside activities, games, pool parties, music, etc,. There aren't any. There is a fountain display at the Mattakeesett pool at 3 PM, which only happens on certain days. Why doesn't that happen every day? I don't know. Sure, they do antique fire truck rides, s'mores on the beach, and they offer lawn games for families, but they could do more. There is a cool, life-size chess game outside the pool area and ping-pong tables as well. There is yoga and zumba for adults in the fitness studio or on the lawn, but again, the schedule is sporadic.

By the way, the clambake, at $98 per head, is ridiculously overpriced. Enough said about that...

Be prepared for a 5-10 walk to your place on the beach, carrying ALL of your stuff, or you can drive down to the beach and park along side the road -- if you can find parking -- go early if you do that. The hotel is not directly on the beach, but across from it....I'm not complaining about this fact, but just informing people. You have to walk across their large, sweeping lawn which leads to the beach path. One suggestion: there really should be a walkway (? perhaps a crushed shell path) cutting across the lawn, as the grass is often wet with dew or from the early morning sprinkler system. Your flip flops get soaked just from walking on the grass.

The Pool Grille is open from 11:30 AM – 3 PM. However, there is no wait staff available to take orders for for poolside drink or food service at either pool. I don't understand why. There are resorts much less expensive than this one that provide that service. it would be a nice service/amenity for guests. There is also no room service (that didn't matter much to us, but it might to some).

Maid service: although they do a nice job and the rooms are kept quite clean, they are not prompt in getting rooms cleaned. It was 2:30 PM one day and our room still hadn't been cleaned after our day at the beach. We just wanted to come back to the room to shower and have fresh towels, etc. We had to call them. They did take care of it right away, but we had to leave the room again.

WiFi: Perhaps the worst WiFi service I've ever seen at a hotel. It's just not capable of handling the demands of today's crowds, where practically everyone, including adults and kids have smart phones, etc. Don't get me wrong, when you're on vacation, those devices should be put away for the most part. But when you do want to use the WiFi good luck in getting decent reception.

All in all, we had a nice time at the hotel, but it would have been better had the above listed items been available to us. Would we come back? I don't know. We paid $3,300 to stay in a West Chop suite for 4 nights. Another family traveling with us stayed next door to us in a West Chop suite and paid the same. So, between the two families we paid $6,600 for four nights. We could have easily rented a house on the Vineyard, with a pool and beach access mind you, for an entire week, and paid the same or maybe slightly less. Food for thought for next year......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Joe C
Melrose, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just returned from our eighth year at the Winnetu. It remains one of our favorite spots on the world. Here are five reasons why:
1. Location: there isn't another place on the Vineyard right on South Beach. And yes, its a 300 yard walk. But that's helpful to walk off the ice cream from Mad Martha's. But it's not just the beach--it's right on the bike path to Edgartown, and a short bike to the dock at Katama Bay on a pleasant road. An ideal location.
2. Staff: I logged well over 100 nights in hotel rooms last year. The staff at the Winnetu is the most attentive staff I have encountered.
3. Facilities: Little things, like the Foosball table, comfortable seating in the lobby area, tennis, chess set or pool make a big difference taken together
4. Food: I'll confess, the Lure is a bit too upscale for my tastes, and we've not done the clambake, but the poolside grill is excellent and a quick walk from the beach (see item #1) and there are good takeout options from the general store.
5. Rooms: Rooms are clean and well laid out to maximize the space.

Thanks for another great year.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are great to have an ocean view but the lower floor lets you use the lawn as an e...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
The Hob Knob
The Hob Knob
#1 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Winnetu Oceanside Resort? Share your experiences!